Lac Megantic Tragedy

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hello Prime Minister Harper,

My last message, although quite serious in content, was tongue and cheek in its delivery to you. Although, whose to say that particular post even crossed your radar. I do hope that this blog post finds its way to you and or your representatives, because it is of a more serious nature.

I am a homeowner, I live in small town Canada. I don't say rural, because that conjures up visions of wide open fields partitioned by wood line sectioned by the grid work of county roads. That's not the case where I live, there is a community of people, and although we don't have a McDonalds or a Wal-mart, we do have many small business's that make up the average small town; Petro-Canada Gas Station, Home Hardware and of course a Tim Hortons. The other thing we have here in my small town is a rail line.

My first house here, was approximately two kilometers from where we built our new house and in the backyard, not 20 feet from the rear of our property line was a train track. Before I bought the house I inquired around town about how active the line was and the collective response was: "Hardly used at all." So, my wife and I jumped in and purchased the house; our first by the way.

Above: Is a photo of my town and the red arrows point out the rail line running right past the backyards of residents. Now, I don't know if I was duped by the railway or if the entire town has conspired against us, but that rail line, the one that was hardly used at all, suddenly became very active. In fact, it became active at all hours and the engineers, (God love them), indiscriminately blew that air horn to let us know when they were coming through. Now, this didn't bother me all that much, having served 12 years in the Canadian Artillery, I'm half deaf and have an ability to sleep through almost anything; including fire missions behind 155 Howitzers. A train wouldn't stir me from my sleep. My wife on the hand; to say she is a light sleeper would be putting it mildly. My wife can hear a mosquito fart 15 kilometers away. If she were ever to attend a Metallica Concert, like it or not, they would be forced to turn the volume down to a whisper. So, every time a train would come through town and the steady "clack clack" of steel wheels on rail would be amplified through our bedroom window she would wake.

One morning, around 3:00 Am, I felt a tug at my arm and when I rose from my stupor I joined her atthe back window where a very long train rolled eerily past. Under the cover of darkness it passed dream-like, only sixty feet from our small back-split home. No train horn this time, just a steady "clack clack clack". Behind the unseen locomotive, an endless parade of tanker cars, tar black and laden with dangerous good placards, passing one after another. I immediately recognized the placards, because as I've mentioned in my last blog post I am a truck driver. Strangely, you rarely saw these trains in the daytime, presumably because they would set off an alarm within the community. After watching this ghost-like presence moving like a chameleon in the night with its deadly cargo I decided that we would not be staying for very long at this new house. Over the course of the next year, I awakened on many nights and watched the window as my children slept thinking, "We have to move."

Approximately a year and a half later we did just that, across town to a new place built away from the rail line, but that is only a visual distraction. Coincidentally, I move dangerous goods for a living and understand that a derailment of volatile chemicals would have far reaching effects.

Last week I got a message from a friend of mine and he asked if I'd caught the news. I was just back from Alberta and hadn't focused much on the news. Too busy doing home stuff. When I went online to check the news I was astonished to see the Lac Megantic train wreck. I have two friends there, Marc and Rene, who are long timers in that sleepy little Quebec town.

As you know, the death toll has been rising daily along with the despair and emotion that couples this preventable tragedy. My friends, Marc and Rene, were not among the casualties, but they certainly have been touched by this disaster. Lac Megantic is a community interwoven with friends and relatives. As rescue workers sift through the ashes, friends and family wait for the inevitable confirmation that those unaccounted for will be added to the growing list of victims.

Prime Minister, Lac Megantic was inevitable. Aside from the finger pointing in the media, it is
obvious that we have been poking the "proverbial bear " by pushing dangerous cargo through small town Canada. As a truck driver who regular moves dangerous cargo, I am surprised that the rail lines have not been forced to set up bypass routes. Now I know that this is not possible in all cases, but it seems that the environmental parties were all about rail a few years ago, especially if it meant getting trucks off the road and reducing our carbon footprint. While the idea of moving everything by rail does lesson greenhouse gas, the question now is really about regulating what gets shipped, where it gets shipped to and the route it takes.

As a truck driver, I am restricted to dangerous goods routes. These were set in place to offset the unthinkable. If my truck, loaded up with Aviation Gas, or any other combustible is involved in an accident, the potential for loss of life is reduced significantly by using these routes. That's why we don't roll past schools or hospitals unless we are delivering to that local. Lessening the dangerous goods traffic, lessens the possibility of disastrous tragedy.

Lac Megantic has presented us with a very dark lesson. If we are to move dangerous goods by rail, they must be moved with the safety of the general public in mind. Engineers and Conductors, must be well rested, procedures cannot be deviated from and most of all we should be reducing routes that run through small town Canada under the cover of darkness. Our rail infrastructure is in dire need of upgrade and I would go so far to say that if companies choose to ship on these routes they should be footing the costs for upgrades and bypasses that lessen the potential of disaster.

So that's it Mr Prime Minister. I hope this blog from a simple Canadian living in small town Canada finds its way to you and or your Transport Minister. To the people of Lac Megantic, aside from my friends, I along with many other Canadians are watching in sadness as you deal with this terrible tragedy.

Mark aka MJ Preston

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I don't see getting rail out of major cities like Regina or Toronto or even Edmonton. It is a major part of their infrastructure, but if we are going to ship volatile product, they, the rail system cannot be immune to more stringent safety regulations. and building bypasses should be a priority.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Safety issues definitely need to be addressed. Had there been a conductor as well as an engineer to ensure safety redundancy, this wouldn't have happened.

If cities can't afford relocation, there is no way in hell a small town could.

How far away from a town is far enough for an anhydrous ammonia or chlorine spill?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Safety issues definitely need to be addressed. Had there been a conductor as well as an engineer to ensure safety redundancy, this wouldn't have happened.

If cities can't afford relocation, there is no way in hell a small town could.

How far away from a town is far enough for an anhydrous ammonia or chlorine spill?

This shouldn't be the responsibility of small towns, it should be the responsibility of the Fed, the Railway and the Chemical Companies who utilize those lines.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The entire country was built around rail. A two man crew minimum and speed limits make far more sense.

That's a good start, but not the answer.

Human error, was likely the cause in this case. Also, I don't know how Montreal Main works, but CN and CP have a 24/365 on call 2 hours notice to move requirement of all its conductors, as I found out when I was offered employment by both rail companies. I'm not sure what their Engineers contract is, but that's what is expected of Conductors. With that in mind, the potential for human error due to fatigue is an incredible risk.

If we can regulate safe routes for trucks then we should be doing it for trains.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it has to start somewhere.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Well, now they're THINKING about using safer tank cars, etc. Making "sure" trains are braked properly.............

Too bad 47 people had to die first.

The RR in question went broke, and has been sold. "They" "hope" there's enough money left over from the sale of assets to compensate families, yadda yadda yadda.

more of the same and piled higher and deeper, and everyone from the owners to insurance companies scrambling like rats for a door marked Exit.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Starting in November, tank cars like those involved in the deadly rail disaster in Lac-Mégantic, Que. will no longer be allowed to transport oil in Canada, Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau says.

The DOT-111 cars will be phased out for the carrying of oil six months earlier than planned for "non-jacketed" cars — those without a layer of thermal protection — and 16 months earlier than cars with jackets.

Accident investigators have said for decades that the DOT-111 railcars are easily punctured or ruptured, even in low-speed impacts.

By 2025, it will be prohibited to transport any flammable liquids in the cars, Garneau said.

"The Lac-Mégantic tragedy reminds us of the importance of staying vigilant in order to ensure security while transporting dangerous goods across Canada," he said.

Garneau said about 28,000 DOT-111 railcars are still in use, travelling between Canada and the United States. He said the cars may be upgraded, used to transport other goods or sold to be scrapped.

Trains coming from the U.S. will be monitored to ensure they comply with the new rules.

Forty-seven people were killed when a train carrying oil exploded in Lac-Mégantic in July 2013. Garneau said he's visited the town a number of times following the disaster.

"This was a profoundly traumatic experience for the town of Lac-Mégantic, and I really do want to help them move forward and rebuild, and part of that is rebuilding the confidence that municipalities need to have in their railway systems," he said.

Ottawa will phase out oil transport in DOT-111 rail tank cars by November - Montreal - CBC News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Once again, the Trudeau Liberals, with the help of the CBC and former astronaut Marc Garneau, now Canadian Minister of Transport, are picking at Canadian and American oil companies to make political brownie points in front of an unsuspecting public.

Today, Transport Minister Garneau announced that present railroad equipment used to transport crude oil will be phased out starting November 01-16. The use of double walled cars will be then be compulsory. Garneau used the CBC to provide footage of the Lac Megantic rail disaster of July 06-2013 to justify the huge expense that is being bestowed upon Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railways, along with other railroad companies. A move that is sure to increase the price of refined fuels greatly.

While the massive fire, along with the deaths and injuries that followed have no doubt shaken the nation, one would have assumed that Garneau, a former naval commander and astronaut, would have had the respect and common sense not to use such an incident for political gain. Especially given the fact that negligence and not oil was the cause of the disaster. Negligence by employees of an American railroad entity.

It’s a well known fact that faulty railroad equipment that had been left unattended for the night of July 06-13, and without proper braking equipment caused the runaway train, and not the cargo it was carrying. The train freewheeled 7 miles from Nantes, PQ to Lac Megantic, PQ, along a downward slope of 100 meters. When the freewheeling train arrived in Lac Megantique, it was traveling at speeds over 60 MPH. The derailment and subsequent pileup caused the tank cars, loaded with crude oil, to ignite. 47 people lost their lives.

If a semi trailer unit loaded with watermelons and traveling along Highway 401 towards Toronto loses a wheel and crashes into another semi-trailer unit loaded with propane, causing an explosion, are the watermelons the cause of the disaster or was it not the loose wheel?? Of course trying to reason with Liberals is like trying to reason with watermelons. It just doesn’t work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mégantic_rail_disaster

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

anyway, we don't need no stickin' pipelines. rail the stuff. that's how we roll. ;-)

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A multi-millionaire wanna-be railroader cost cutting on maintenance and crews on tracks never designed for the load had nothing to do with it, eh? Have a drink of that Prince Albert water....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Once again, the Trudeau Liberals, with the help of the CBC and former astronaut Marc Garneau, now Canadian Minister of Transport, are picking at Canadian and American oil companies to make political brownie points in front of an unsuspecting public.

Today, Transport Minister Garneau announced that present railroad equipment used to transport crude oil will be phased out starting November 01-16. The use of double walled cars will be then be compulsory. Garneau used the CBC to provide footage of the Lac Megantic rail disaster of July 06-2013 to justify the huge expense that is being bestowed upon Canadian National and Canadian Pacific Railways, along with other railroad companies. A move that is sure to increase the price of refined fuels greatly.

While the massive fire, along with the deaths and injuries that followed have no doubt shaken the nation, one would have assumed that Garneau, a former naval commander and astronaut, would have had the respect and common sense not to use such an incident for political gain. Especially given the fact that negligence and not oil was the cause of the disaster. Negligence by employees of an American railroad entity.

It’s a well known fact that faulty railroad equipment that had been left unattended for the night of July 06-13, and without proper braking equipment caused the runaway train, and not the cargo it was carrying. The train freewheeled 7 miles from Nantes, PQ to Lac Megantic, PQ, along a downward slope of 100 meters. When the freewheeling train arrived in Lac Megantique, it was traveling at speeds over 60 MPH. The derailment and subsequent pileup caused the tank cars, loaded with crude oil, to ignite. 47 people lost their lives.

If a semi trailer unit loaded with watermelons and traveling along Highway 401 towards Toronto loses a wheel and crashes into another semi-trailer unit loaded with propane, causing an explosion, are the watermelons the cause of the disaster or was it not the loose wheel?? Of course trying to reason with Liberals is like trying to reason with watermelons. It just doesn’t work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mégantic_rail_disaster

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

anyway, we don't need no stickin' pipelines. rail the stuff. that's how we roll. ;-)

The same tankers will still roll carrying oil with far higher flash points. It's not CN or CP but privately owned companies like PROCOR and UTLX that own them. It won't cost them anything either. Obama subsidized 60,000 new tankers all while fighting XL.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Canadian Pacific directly responsible for 2013 Lac-Megantic damages: Quebec
Giuseppe Valiante, THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 11:44 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, October 21, 2016 11:50 AM EDT
MONTREAL — Canadian Pacific Railway is directly responsible for damages caused when a runaway train carrying crude oil derailed in 2013 in Lac-Megantic, according to new allegations recently filed in court by the Quebec government.
The railroad was responsible for the crude oil from the moment it picked up the shipment in the United States until the product’s final scheduled destination in New Brunswick, the province alleges.
Quebec is seeking to modify its $409-million lawsuit against CP (TSX:CP) to reflect the new allegations and will argue its case in court Nov. 8.
In July 2013, an unmanned train owned by Montreal Maine and Atlantic Railway Ltd. (MMA) and running on the company’s tracks derailed and exploded in Lac-Megantic, killing 47 people and destroying part of the Quebec town’s downtown core.
CP maintains it has no responsibility for the disaster because it occurred after it handed off the train to MMA for the final leg of the journey to Atlantic Canada.
The Quebec government’s initial lawsuit against CP, filed in 2015, stated the railroad “should have known” the product being shipped was volatile and dangerous and “omitted to take the necessary steps to guarantee the crude didn’t cause damage to people or to the environment.”
Now, the Quebec government is taking a harsher line.
“Due to its agreement with the shipper, Canadian Pacific was, at all times, responsible for the crude oil from its point of initial possession until its delivery,” says Quebec’s amended lawsuit, which was filed Sept. 8.
“In these circumstances Canadian Pacific is directly responsible for the damages caused by MMA ... additionally, Canadian Pacific is personally responsible for the damages caused by its own proper faults.”
CP rejected Quebec’s modification request and argued in its response, also filed in court, that the province’s motion “will unduly delay proceedings, (is) contrary to the interests of justice, and (is) useless and contrary to the principle of proportionality.”
A CP spokesman said the railway will not comment on the developments.
CP is the only company accused in the derailment to have refused to pay into a settlement fund for victims and creditors of the tragedy.
MMA didn’t have enough insurance to pay damages to victims and creditors, so it filed for bankruptcy in the United States and Canada. The settlement fund is tied to the bankruptcy proceedings on both sides of the border.
All the roughly 25 companies — except MMA — that paid into a $440-million fund received legal immunity from future prosecution related to the derailment.
CP’s court battles relating to the Lac-Megantic disaster extend beyond the Quebec government’s lawsuit.
The rail company is facing a class-action suit in Quebec Superior Court from victims and creditors of the disaster.
It is also dealing with two other claims in the United States totalling more than $200 million.
Canadian Pacific directly responsible for 2013 Lac-Megantic damages: Quebec | Ca

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Jury deliberations begin in Lac-Megantic railway disaster trial
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
January 11, 2018
Updated:
January 11, 2018 12:12 PM EST
SHERBROOKE, Que. — Twelve jurors at the trial of three men charged in the Lac-Megantic railway disaster have begun their first day of deliberations in a Quebec courthouse.
They will deliberate the fate of Tom Harding, Richard Labrie and Jean Demaitre, who are charged with criminal negligence in the tragedy that killed 47 people in July 2013 when a runaway train carrying crude derailed and exploded.
They have pleaded not guilty.
Jean Demaitre (left to right), Richard Labrie and Thomas Harding are shown outside court in Sherbrooke, Que., Wednesday, January 10, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Harding was the train’s engineer, Labrie the traffic controller and Demaitre the manager of train operations.
The Crown contends Harding failed to perform a proper brake test and didn’t apply enough handbrakes after he parked the 73-wagon convoy on July 5, 2013.
Labrie and Demaitre are accused of failing to ask enough questions to ensure the train was properly secure after a fire broke out on the locomotive and firefighters shut off its engine, compromising the braking system.
The trial began Oct. 2.
Jury deliberations begin in Lac-Megantic railway disaster trial | Toronto Sun

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The sad thing is, the errors of these men is a symptom of a much bigger problem in the railway industry. Fatigue plays a role.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Also outdated equipment. Train brakes should work like truck brakes and apply automatically when the air pressure drops. Setting brakes by hand is so 18th century.