Another Tory MP Under Fire.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mr. Speaker Andrew Scheer has shown Partisan bias. It's time to go Andy! You blew it.

The legal battle that has erupted this week between Elections Canada and two Conservative MPs from Manitoba over their campaign spending puts some awfully strange scenarios into play.

The oddest, it seems to me, is that those MPs might ultimately be found to have violated the law requiring proper disclosure of election expenses, and yet still be allowed to continue to hold office, even if they were no longer permitted to actually vote in the House.

To see how that improbably weird possibility emerges, we have to recap what’s happened so far. After each federal election, the campaign expense return of every candidate is audited by Elections Canada. In the cases of the two Manitoba Tories, MP Shelly Glover and MP James Bezan, the auditors found gaps after the 2011 election in the way they accounted for spending on things like roadside signs and websites.

After many letters back and forth between the elections watchdog and the Conservatives’ lawyers, Elections Canada finally concluded last month that the MPs were not going to bring their returns into compliance with the rules. The reason is likely that they realized how making the changes Elections Canada was ordering would mean they had overshot the allowed spending limits, which would open up a whole new set of legal problems for them.

Having reached an impasse, Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand did what the Canada Elections Act says he must. Mayrand wrote to Andrew Scheer, the Speaker of the House, and told him where things stand, pointing out that the act states clearly that Glover and Bezan “may not continue to sit or vote as a member” until they fix their campaign returns.

But Scheer chose not to immediately suspend the two. Instead, taking into account the fact that Glover and Bezan are both challenging Elections Canada’s interpretation of the rules in court, Scheer decided to wait and see what decisions the judges hand down. The Liberals have formally contested Scheer’s right to allow the MPs to keep sitting in the House while the matter is before the courts. Scheer will have to rule on that sometime soon.

It’s possible Scheer will change his mind and suspend Glover and Bezan while their cases are being heard. Even if he decides to let them keep serving in the House for the time being, he would still have to suspend them if, in the end, the judges find Elections Canada knows its stuff. Either way, we face the unusual prospect of MPs remaining MPs, but not being allowed to do their jobs in the Commons.

So I asked Elections Canada at what point, should Glover and Bezan finally fail to persuade a judge to overrule Mayrand, would they either have to correct their campaign returns or be ousted as MPs, forcing by-elections in their ridings. The unexpected answer: never.

“The reality is that this breach does not cause somebody to be removed from office,” Elections Canada spokesman John Enright told me this afternoon. “Nor does to it prevent them from seeking reelection. That’s what it is.”

For clarity’s sake, I asked him if there is anything in the Canada Elections Act that might lead to an MP losing his or her seat for refusing to fix an election spending return deemed incomplete. Even if the courts side with Elections Canada, he repeated, “There’s no offence here that would entail removal from office.”

The penalty, Enright explained, might be a fine or perhaps even a jail sentence imposed upon, not the MP, but the MP’s official agent from the last election campaign. As for being suspended from the House, that could go on indefinitely, at least in theory, without the MP ever ceasing to be the MP.

It sounds crazy, of course. You’d think we could look to past cases of this sort for a sense of what would really happen. So far, however, nobody at Elections Canada—including veterans like Enright, who’s been there a quarter century—can recall any dispute remotely like this.

While there have been many, many cases of Elections Canada auditors challenging all sorts of aspects of campaign spending returns, those clashes have always been settled without the Chief Electoral Officer having to resort to informing the Speaker that an MP has refused to sort out a problem.

It seems the stormy relationship between the Conservative party and Elections Canada is leading us down strange new paths.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This guy is the Speaker who is engaged in Bias? Most do realize the way to become the
Speaker of the House is, you have the respect of all members regardless of Party and in
Bias cannot be an issue.
I think its time that Elections Canada had the ultimate ability to render a decision and have
it implemented regardless of who the MP is. If we do not have confidence they have a basic
code of ethics they should not be making decisions on our behalf as member period.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Shelley Glover, the Conservative M.P. for St. Boniface riding, is in a spot of trouble. It seems that the lady who practically levitates out of her House of Commons seat to lead a standing ovation each time her dear leader deigns to speak could be suspended from that seat should Elections Canada have its way.

Somewhat reminiscent of the campaign irregularities that forced the resignation of Peter Penashue and later led to his defeat in a byelection, Glover, along with fellow traveller James Bezan, the Conservative MP for Selkirk-Interlake, failed to file campaign documents from the 2011 election. Letters sent to the Speaker of the House advised "that an elected candidate shall not continue to sit or vote as members of the House of Commons pending the filing of complete and accurate returns”.

Glover has filed an appeal, explaining the problem this way:

“This is an accounting dispute between the campaign and Elections Canada.”

Predictably, party-loyalist-masquerading-as-impartial-Member-of-Parliament Andrew Scheer, the Speaker of the House, said he is awaiting the court decisions before taking any action.

A 'greatest hits' video of the 'honourable' member from St. Boniface:

WARNING; HYPOCRISY LEVEL HIGH

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aLFCzhntPo

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
ooooooooomg we are in such a freaking mess....this is OUR SYSTEM.... not only is it set up for corruption, it practically DEMANDS one be corrupt in order to survive within it. :(

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
ooooooooomg we are in such a freaking mess....this is OUR SYSTEM.... not only is it set up for corruption, it practically DEMANDS one be corrupt in order to survive within it. :(

Power corrupts....there is a reason why these sayings endure.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Power corrupts....there is a reason why these sayings endure.
there is, you are right...I think we need to look at other governmental systems say in Europe and start to modify ours...I am ashamed to say, I am so out of touch and far away from truly remembering/understanding how our system has evolved and been put into place that I am feeling overwhelmed by the corruption...and I don't even know where we should start.

It has become clear it is a FUBAR

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
there is, you are right...I think we need to look at other governmental systems say in Europe and start to modify ours...I am ashamed to say, I am so out of touch and far away from truly remembering/understanding how our system has evolved and been put into place that I am feeling overwhelmed by the corruption...and I don't even know where we should start.

It has become clear it is a FUBAR

I honestly don't think it will every change, it'll collapse first. Short of a complete citizens revolt, how does any countries government ever change? What goes on here is just enough to keep the cycle going, but not enough to spur enough people into revolution. We'll just end up getting fewer and fewer voters turning out year after year, until it's finally done.

No one that sits in Parliament is truly interested in keeping this nation going, particularly not over their own glory, career or pockets. And I firmly 100% believe that.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I honestly don't think it will every change, it'll collapse first. Short of a complete citizens revolt, how does any countries government ever change? What goes on here is just enough to keep the cycle going, but not enough to spur enough people into revolution. We'll just end up getting fewer and fewer voters turning out year after year, until it's finally done.

No one that sits in Parliament is truly interested in keeping this nation going, particularly not over their own glory, career or pockets. And I firmly 100% believe that.
the idea of giving out all of these perks was supposed to be so that we could attract 'quality' people because they were supposed to be the big brains with the ability to earn big dollars so why give that up unless there was some kind of carrot?

Well here's a thought, give it up to give back to your country because you are gifted and can fix things and we have the luxury of living in one of the best countries on the planet. It's not supposed to about indulging your megalomania and putting the country under. I am so disappointed in Harper...I gave the p rick a chance and look at the mess he has made. NDP is looking better by the day and last time I voted for them was a protest vote that launched them into power and they weren't ready for it.

Oh I am so frustrated over this.

there's nobody who can fix this, that's how I feel.