A Bunch of Squishy Lefties Want to "Update" Queen Vicky's Holiday

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via scaramouche

Oh, that Queen Victoria. She's so imperialistic and privileged and, well, Victorian. Wouldn't it be nice to change the name of her Canadian holiday to reflect the identity group mentality of guilt-ridden white leftists (propose some guilt-ridden, white leftists)?:
A group that includes some prominent Canadian actors, writers and politicians is calling on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to change the name of Victoria Day.​
Author Margaret Atwood, Green Party leader Elizabeth May and actor Gordon Pinsent are among those behind an online petition to rename the public holiday, which is celebrated on Monday, as "Victoria and First Peoples Day."​
Peter Keleghan, an actor and spokesman for the group, says the new name would give Canadians a chance to honour both the Crown and the indigenous peoples of Canada.​
"I know there is a great deal of monarchists in this country but I think also that there is also an awful lot of talk about how First Nations people, Inuit people, indigenous people in this country are being treated," he said Sunday.​
I think "Victoria and First Peoples Day" isn't nearly inclusive enough. I say we rename it "Victoria and First Peoples and Transgendered and Free Palestine and Africentric and anti-Islamophobia and Human Rights Day."

A bit of a tongue-twister, I'll grant you, but ever so much more "diverse," don't you think?

Scaramouche!: A Bunch of Squishy Lefties Want to "Update" Queen Vicky's Holiday

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Just call it what everybody else calls it -- the May 2-4 weekend. It's a day off regardless of the name. I don't think too many of us are honouring anybody.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So tacking on "and First Peoples" to a preexisting holiday is their way of paying homage? Feels more like scrap leftovers to me.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I very skeptical of pc committees coming up with new names of holidays.. certainly after they came up with that insipid, meaningless, hollow 'Canada Day'.. which is all they were left with after they excluded all parties that might be offended by anything that might show a confident national historical context.. like 'Confederation Day' (offensive to separatists). So for me its Victoria Day.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Good frickin' grief already.........some people will do anything to grab a headline.....book sales and acting contracts must be in short supply these days.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Good frickin' grief already.........some people will do anything to grab a headline.....book sales and acting contracts must be in short supply these days.

You never know. Some people actually believe in such PC mumbo jumbo.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Just call it what everybody else calls it -- the May 2-4 weekend. It's a day off regardless of the name. I don't think too many of us are honouring anybody.

I'm a huge fan of 'gulash Monday' or 'we are all in this together day"

However, under Queen Victoria, Canada did become independent. With out Briitish transportation tech , British financing for our ships and Railroads, and the massive expansion of Canada ( 480 %) during the Napoleonic wars, we wouldn't be around...

"ow abut Victoria Victus Valorous day??

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Screw that.

Let's have another holiday, this one for the Indigenous people.

I'm looking at the last Monday every April.which can be claimed Indigenous People Day..............

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I am from the Prairies. As a kid, Victoria Day meant another school holiday - a time for marbles, kites, slingshots, and finding the right branches for bows and arrows. Queen Victoria might as well have been from the Congo. Sure, there was old man Keeny who recited,
"The twenty-fourth of May,
The Queen's birthday!
If we don't get a holiday,
We'll all run away!"
But he was really old.

However, almost all of us, one way or another, had Metis or First-Nations relatives.

Call me a squishy lefty.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm a squishy lefty too, I don't care what they call it as long as it's a stat. And with this particular contract a day off is like a day in heaven.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yes, for the 1837 rebellion. I see nothing wrong with that.

That rebellion and the one in Upper Canada (Ontario) led to the Durham Report, the Union of 1841, and then to Confederation.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm considered a "lefty" and my answer is "screw you". Petition for a separate day and leave our Queens day alone.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
When I was a kid the holiday was on the day, the 24th, but you know how it goes - meddling politicians say "this will never do!" and proceeded to fvck it up in making it law that it has to fall on a Monday. Well, I can understand them wanting to shift it to a day contiguous to a weekend day, but why the hell couldn't they add a few more words to the law allowing that if it falls on a Friday, then that day, and not the Monday prior shall be the stat day. Also, if the 24th falls on a weekend the stat should be the Monday following, not the Monday prior to the date. Too f*cking easy, but leave it to lawmakers to fvck the sh*t out of sh*t.

I suppose I shouldn't complain as I work shifts in a federal government heating plant. We'll be shutting down for the summer this week. If the holiday was on the Friday, we wouldn't get paid for working a stat at double-time-and-a-half. As it is now, we do. Thank you, stupid Canadian lawmakers! Oh, and you too, stupid Canadian electorate!

:?D

Last edited: