Is Canada Totally A Sovereign Nation?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

I was watching CTV’s Question Period today and they were interviewing a British political commentary person about the queen giving up some of her duties to Prince Charles because of her failing health. During the course of the interview he stated that if this were to happen then Canada would be greatly affected because in 1947 King George did not give Canada total sovereignty so we still belong to the British Crown.

What do you think?
[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I was watching CTV’s Question Period today and they were interviewing a British political commentary person about the queen giving up some of her duties to Prince Charles because of her failing health. During the course of the interview he stated that if this were to happen then Canada would be greatly affected because in 1947 King George did not give Canada total sovereignty so we still belong to the British Crown.

What do you think?

He doesn't know what he is talking about.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He doesn't know what he is talking about.[/FONT]

Exactly. Her Majesty is our head of state, with a lot more clout (under our constitution) than many acknowledge, but that won't change, especially in the day-to-day running of the country, if Her Majesty decides to offload some of her duties to His Royal Highness.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
We have to ask ourselves why our Prime Minister put the Royal back into our Armed Forces?

Really? Are you that stupid? You do realize that we are a constitutional Monarchy. Canada has a Queen as head of state. It just happens that the Queen of Canada is ALSO the Queen of England. 2 separate entities that are occupied by one person.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canada isn't sovereign. The Queen is sovereign. For some reason people seem to think that because the Queen is also Queen of the United Kingdom, we are subject to her government in the UK (at least symbolically or 'technically'). The governments are independent of each other, they just happen to be headed by the same person.

The commentator might be referring to the succession law, which Canadians don't have complete control over in our own country. Although if we really wanted to we could tell the other Commonwealth realms to shove it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I feel Canada has matured to the stage now that the electorate should be asked in a referendum whether Canada should remain as a monarchy under the British Crown.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

What do you think?
[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

That would be incorrect. The Queen has separate crowns for her various realms. If the UK or Australia or any other commonwealth nation decided to scrap the monarchy and we didnt, she'd still be Queen. Vice versa as well.

I feel Canada has matured to the stage now that the electorate should be asked in a referendum whether Canada should remain as a monarchy under the British Crown.

Unfortunately that would make no difference. To get rid of the monarchy we would have to change the constitution, even if 100% of the people voted to get rid of it in a referendum. I doubt Harper or any of his successors in the near future will want to touch the constitution. It always makes a mess. Personally id be fine with it though. There are some other things I want fixed in it as well.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There hasn't been a Queen of England since 1603.

The British Monarch doesn't rule Canada. The Canadian Monarch does.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

What do you think?

No one can accuse Princey of having his head up his *** because with his ears, it wouldn't fit. Must be the retarded gene trying to surface. Does a princely job sometimes.

I think a good booteth in the royal nuts would be in order.

Inbred bunch of fvckers !

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

What do you think?

Where can I pick up my EU Passport.. I want to move to Portugal where it's nice and warm all year round.. :lol:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Where can I pick up my EU Passport.. I want to move to Portugal where it's nice and warm all year round.. :lol:

[/FONT]

You mean you don't have one? Poor, poor you. The first thing you need to acquire one is a birth certificate from an EU nation (mine is British). I keep my EU passport right next to my Canadian passport. It is soooooo much easier to travel in Europe and in Commonwealth countries having that pretty maroon booklet.