Is Canadian bureaucracy driving you insane?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks we have way to much bureaucracy to deal with I this country?
It's like every few months I have something to prove to the goverment. A fee to pay, a test to pass.

From filing our income Tax, to taking drivers test multiple times. Paying for your passport.
To testing our vehicle for emissions to renewing our health cards every few years.
Security checks & security clearances.
10 different cards for work as well. Some have to be renewed every year, like WHMIS.
Some every few years like propane.

You know it makes me miserable every time I have to deal with any of this ****!

Why in the **** do we have all this BS bureaucracy?
It's really driving me mad!

Am I the only one?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Am I the only one that thinks we have way to much bureaucracy to deal with I this country?
It's like every few months I have something to prove to the goverment. A fee to pay, a test to pass.

From filing our income Tax, to taking drivers test multiple times. Paying for your passport.
To testing our vehicle for emissions to renewing our health cards every few years.
10 different cards for work as well. Some have to be renewed every year, like WHMIS.

Am I the only one?
I agree completely (though I'm not Canadian. We have similar problems down here in South Canada, and especially in the Old Line State and Our Nation's Capital). Seriously, Angstrom, this is worth fighting. Do you have a "fraud, waste, and abuse" reporting system? If so, carefully document incidences of excessive bureaucracy, and report them. The tendency of bureaucracies to become more and more abstruse, inefficient, and just plain ol' weird is a universal constant. They need to be regularly trimmed.

Not saying you should make it a full-time job. Just pick the one or two that piss you off the most, and get on 'em.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't get it. Before I got my current job I rarely had to deal with the government. All I did was income tax, I had to apply for health insurance when I went off my parents plan, renew my passport twice and vote. What is it that you're doing that involves the government so much?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Am I the only one?

It would appear you are the only one and for good reason.

Income Tax is once a year and I haven't taken a drivers test since I got my license 35 years ago.

Paying for your passport? Are you suggesting it should be free? If so, what the hell, I'm with ya. Anyways your burden will get lessened as of July 1, 2013 when you can get one for 10 years instead of 5, and you will get a discount, but DON'T LOSE IT..........

New regulations posted this week confirm the cost of a five-year passport will increase to $120 from $87.
And starting in July 2013, a 10-year passport will also be offered at a cost of $160.
By March 2014, Passport Canada will also charge an additional $45 to replace a passport that's lost or stolen, something that is currently free.

10-year passport introduced next summer

I only do an emissions test every 2 years and I don't recall the last time I did a Health Card replacement so I can't say anything about that.

Security checks and clearances? Are you referring to your job (along with 10 different cards for work) ?

As for being tested on proficiency of handling Propane and whatever else is covered under WHIMS, I for one am glad we have to those kind of regulations to ensure safety from some buffoon in the workplace and communities.

Sound to me like you got a bad case of 1st World Blues.

But I can relate, my fridge's ice dispenser is too slow...................