Tax and Spend

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Wondering why left wing political parties are a bad idea?

Wonder no more.

Quote HuffPo " average Canadian family faced a tax bill of $31,615 in 2012 against income of $74,113(two income). That means 42.7 per cent of the family's budget went to paying for government. For perspective, in that same year 36.9 per cent of the budget went to paying for food, clothing, and shelter combined. Indeed, families now pay more in taxes that they do for basic necessities."

Sweet.
Ever higher future taxes courtesy of the unionist and progressive agendas.
Now thats really something to look forward to.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
We don't have a left wing political party running Ottawa, and half of the provincial governments are right wing.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
We don't have a left wing political party running Ottawa, and half of the provincial governments are right wing.

Well yes.
And that would be my point.
And so electing a leftist future government either Federally or Provincially would almost certainly make the situation worse.

As an example BC is almost certain to Elect an NDP Provincial government.
Statements made by the leader of that party Adrian Dix indicate he is favor of: higher business taxes, higher carbon taxes, higher sales taxes and higher personal income tax.
He is also in favor of increasing funding to Education, Teachers and the union controlled public service.
He is not in favor of O&G drilling (fracking), pipelines,energy exports( including coal), mining both surface and underground or log exports.

BC arguably has some the highest total tax loads and/or the highest costs of living in Canada.

I fail to see how Dix's progressive platform can do anything but make the situation much worse.

If you are rich, retired, highly educated/skilled and in demand or unemployable the impact may be tolerable.
If you are a public servant then the gravy train will get much richer.

But if you are a young person starting out in life in BC, watch out.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Well the B.C. Liberals in power put the largest tax burden on the poor and middle class, favoring the rich and businesses. Dix wants to even the tax burden out a bit and that is a bad thing? The Liberals actually did a lot of union busting , and Dix is not in favor of that, and that too is a bad thing? I might add that the Liberals also cost tax payers extra millions when they set about busting unions. Dix wants to increase funding for education, and health care? How dare he! Obviously that is a very bad thing?:roll:

Last edited:

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
Well the B.C. Liberals in power put the largest tax burden on the poor and middle class, favoring the rich and businesses. Dix wants to even the tax burden out a bit and that is a bad thing? The Liberals actually did a lot of union busting , and Dix is not in favor of that, and that too is a bad thing? I might add that the Liberals also cost tax payers extra millions when they set about busting unions. Dix wants to increase funding for education, and health care? How dare he! Obviously that is a very bad thing?:roll:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know of any province that was in a better position when the NDP was defeated than it was when they were elected.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Half?? Who?

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. Some might not consider BC right wing because they're called a Liberal party, but cutting personal and corporate income tax, cutting welfare, and deregulation are traditionally right wing policies.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Suit yourself.... In the end, all of the 'evening-out' a you put it will cost the average person quite a lot.

The BC gvt has made certain of that by gouging small and large businesses alike

but cutting personal and corporate income tax, cutting welfare, and deregulation are traditionally right wing policies.

This also happens when it's discovered that there is no money left to pay for it

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Just curious, but did anyone bother to read how Fraser Institute calculates their estimates? It's not exactly robust. There is a reason that median figures are more useful than average. Reporting by deciles and quartiles is even better. Hint, the tax code is progressive. Obviously the higher incomes are pulling up the average tax bill, so it can't really be anything but an artificial representation of the average family. The top earners pay about 33% of their income to income taxes. The lowest earners who pay, contribute about 12%. The average stated by Fraser is 29.1%...very obviously the average is skewed by the high income earners.

The average muddles the details that are more evident when looking at the tax bill systemically across the entire income distribution and how it has changed with time. As an example, when the tax bill is calculated in this fashion, you can't see the tax bill shifting from the top end of the distribution towards the middle in recent years. You can't see the tax bill shifting from businesses to families. And, noting the difference between 1961 and today doesn't even qualify as analysis on whether or not the tax bill is too much, too little, or even just right.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Where?

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. Some might not consider BC right wing because they're called a Liberal party, but cutting personal and corporate income tax, cutting welfare, and deregulation are traditionally right wing policies.
B.S.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
And so electing a leftist future government either Federally or Provincially would almost certainly make the situation worse.

Really? How so? Alberta (with a Conservative government) and Manitoba (with a Dipper government) are doing about the same economically.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Really? How so? Alberta (with a Conservative government) and Manitoba (with a Dipper government) are doing about the same economically.

Alberta GDP in millions (2011) - $295,276
% of tot Canadian GDP - 16.75%

Manitoba GDP in millions (2011) - $55,894
% of tot Canadian GDP - 3.17%

You're welcome to analyze prov taxes and medium incomes if you like although I don't think it will help your case much

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Kinda like saying the midget standing next to an NBA player is the second tallest.

No, it's not like saying that at all. I know it's difficult for you to accept that a province led by a Dipper government has one of the strongest economies in the country. That's too bad.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No, it's not like saying that at all. I know it's difficult for you to accept that a province led by a Dipper government has one of the strongest economies in the country. That's too bad.

I guess that the figures I posted really confounded you.

Just curious, but did anyone bother to read how Fraser Institute calculates their estimates? It's not exactly robust. There is a reason that median figures are more useful than average. Reporting by deciles and quartiles is even better. Hint, the tax code is progressive. Obviously the higher incomes are pulling up the average tax bill, so it can't really be anything but an artificial representation of the average family. The top earners pay about 33% of their income to income taxes. The lowest earners who pay, contribute about 12%. The average stated by Fraser is 29.1%...very obviously the average is skewed by the high income earners.

The average muddles the details that are more evident when looking at the tax bill systemically across the entire income distribution and how it has changed with time. As an example, when the tax bill is calculated in this fashion, you can't see the tax bill shifting from the top end of the distribution towards the middle in recent years. You can't see the tax bill shifting from businesses to families. And, noting the difference between 1961 and today doesn't even qualify as analysis on whether or not the tax bill is too much, too little, or even just right.

What this really says is that the upper tax brackets are supporting the rest.

Makes for an interesting discussion in terms of the effects of relying on that demographic so heavily to fund society