Governments spend too much on Seniors

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
Finally someone in the media has written a column that addresses the over-subsidization of canadian seniors to the detriment of other Canadians.

The Big Gap - Winnipeg Free Press

If 15% of the canadian population is 65 or older means that there are 5.175 million seniors. According to government website the average senior receives about $515 monthly of OAS or $6,180 per year. Old Age Security Payment Amounts - Service Canada This means each year the canadian government spends almost $32 BILLION just on OAS payments out of general revenue.

It is clear from the article that the senior subsidies are simply a vote tactic.

I guess the question is, should seniors be treated any differently that other canadians when it comes to social programs. That is, should financial assistance from government programs be universally dispensed based on need or should certain groups continue to receive monies based on different criteria than other groups.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Finally someone in the media has written a column that addresses the over-subsidization of canadian seniors to the detriment of other Canadians.

If 15% of the canadian population is 65 or older means that there are 5.175 million seniors. According to government website the average senior receives about $515 monthly of OAS or $6,180 per year. Old Age Security Payment Amounts - Service Canada This means each year the canadian government spends almost $32 BILLION just on OAS payments out of general revenue.

It is clear from the article that the senior subsidies are simply a vote tactic.

I guess the question is, should seniors be treated any differently that other canadians when it comes to social programs. That is, should financial assistance from government programs be universally dispensed based on need or should certain groups continue to receive monies based on different criteria than other groups.
it is an issue worth examining...does a multimillionaire need a government pension? probably not

on the other hand these kids will inherit likely more than any previous generation

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
I'll be collecting OAS in a few years and I expect you young bastards to pay! :mrgreen:

I had to pay for those ahead of me in the queue.

You'll change your tune eventually, if you live long enough.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hmmmm. This all seems very familiar.
Yes, it is. Someone posted a thread very similar to this one just a few months ago. Might even be the same dude (dudette).

Anyway, multi-millionaires do not collect OAS and people pay into OAS through taxes and whatnot. So if you want to stop it now, you may quite well be shooting yourself in your future foot.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes, it is. Someone posted a thread very similar to this one just a few months ago. Might even be the same dude (dudette).

Lol. No 'might be' about it, I checked.

Anyway, multi-millionaires do not collect OAS and people pay into OAS through taxes and whatnot. So if you want to stop it now, you may quite well be shooting yourself in your future foot.

If someone wants to shoot themselves in their own feet, have at it. I have an issue with them shooting my feet out from under me though.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
The newspaper article points out that the average income for seniors is actually higher than those 18-40 years old yet the younger canadians get no support unless they actually require it.

Why should seniors get special treatment? These are the arguements I've heard in the past:
- because, it's been like this for 50 years and it's my turn. REALLY....thanks your arguement?
- because I've paid taxes for a long time and it's about time I get something back? Some people never worked outside the home or paid any income tax yet still collect so obviously there is no requirement to pay income tax to collect.
- only the poor senior gets OAS. Really, the clawback doesn't start until an individual earns $71,000 a year. Is someone who earns $71K poor?
- it is such a small amount of money that it really isn't that much help anyway. Looking at the numbers from the government, they pay out $32 Billion annually for OAS. Think of how much infrastructure, healthcare and help to other social programs that money could do!

If politicians and the public were to actually think of things from a fairness standpoint this is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, seniors like the "free" money and the politicians see it as a way bribe a huge voting contigent to vote for them.

Perhaps the paper is right, the only way that seniors will look at this topic realistically is if they look at their children and grandchildren and see how much money it is costing their offspring.

Oh, from this site it is clear that the seniors don't care about their offspring, only their winter vacations.......it's sad really.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup, all us seniors are spending all our OAS on vacationing in Arizona. Try living on $6,180 a year and see how far you get, you whiny little pup. Go jerk off in the corner until you grow up.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""The newspaper article points out that the average income for seniors is actually higher than those 18-40 years old yet the younger canadians get no support unless they actually require it. ""

In other words, younger Canadians get support.

We have a clawback in Canada for fat lazy seniors with untold wealth..

Reading comprehension 101 is a wonderful course - taught online by most public schools...............free.

Take advantage.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I agree. The two groups most heavily subsidised, and to no apparent good result, are old people and kids. I see no reason why I should be forced to give my money to those who had 50 years to save up and failed to do so, or to the larvae of others.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Benefits should not be based on a seniors income.
Everybody should be entitled to the same benefits, and there should be no income discrimination.

If you contributed or lived here for x years, then you get the prescribed benefits regardless of your income.

There is no reason that a senior who may have worked hard during his earning years and saved and planned for his retirement should be required to subsidize a lard *** who did nothing to plan for his retirement.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
The newspaper article points out that the average income for seniors is actually higher than those 18-40 years old yet the younger canadians get no support unless they actually require it.

Why should seniors get special treatment? These are the arguements I've heard in the past:
- because, it's been like this for 50 years and it's my turn. REALLY....thanks your arguement?
- because I've paid taxes for a long time and it's about time I get something back? Some people never worked outside the home or paid any income tax yet still collect so obviously there is no requirement to pay income tax to collect.
- only the poor senior gets OAS. Really, the clawback doesn't start until an individual earns $71,000 a year. Is someone who earns $71K poor?
- it is such a small amount of money that it really isn't that much help anyway. Looking at the numbers from the government, they pay out $32 Billion annually for OAS. Think of how much infrastructure, healthcare and help to other social programs that money could do!

If politicians and the public were to actually think of things from a fairness standpoint this is a no-brainer. Unfortunately, seniors like the "free" money and the politicians see it as a way bribe a huge voting contigent to vote for them.

Perhaps the paper is right, the only way that seniors will look at this topic realistically is if they look at their children and grandchildren and see how much money it is costing their offspring.

Oh, from this site it is clear that the seniors don't care about their offspring, only their winter vacations.......it's sad really.

What is truly sad is the greed and arrogance of a considerable percentage of todays youth.
It's all about me mee meeee, they howl.
I want I want I want.

Let us be blunt, exactly what have the youth of Canada provided the country to date?
After being coddled and cosseted by society for their entire as yet short lives.
Their every need and want provided for.
Mom and Dad working tirelessly away to provide not just security and food but every imaginable electronic toy availble.
And 150 or so channels of crap on the idiot box.
And hey, the new Playstation is available.
Free medical care, dentistry, glasses all provided by the long suffering taxpayer and the good old bank of Mom and Dad.
Free schooling and then heavily subsidized higher education.
A free social safety net to shield them from harm.
Soldiers and police willing to lay down their own lives to protect them.
All taken completely for granted.
As a birthright.

OAS is a !00% taxpayer funded, top up pension scheme that is clawed back by the Federal Government if income is above average.

CPP is a nation wide pension plan completely funded by the individuals who collect it upon retirement.
Whatever you pay into CPP dictates what you get back.

You bust your hump and pay taxes for 40 or 50 years.
You serve society and your family for your entire working life.
And then youth of today decide you don't deserve to retire?
On a pension system that YOU paid for.
Really?

Heres a hint for the young folks.
If you are under 17 and living at home get a part time job and start paying token rent.
Once you graduate from high school get a job.
I suggest something character building.
Miner, fisherman, rig worker, logger, construction worker or even a hired farmhand.
That way after a year or two you learn the true value of a dollar.
And the fresh air and scenery are free.
Complete your education and then immediately go back to work.
Slave like a dog and quickly rise up in the workplace to a high paying position so as to maximize the amount of taxes you pay to society.
Continue on like that for 40 or 50 years or so.
Oh and in your spare time you can raise and care for a family.
And with any luck at all your kids will be selfish, needy and high maintenance.
And then they can explain to you why you don't deserve a pension in your old age.

Oh and by the way.
The maximum a senior can recieve from combined OAS and CPP?
$24,000 a year.
Thats with zero other income or savings.
And assuming they paid the maximum into the system all their lives.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

To fully understand your concern it would help if you told us what demographic you belong to. I checked your profile to no avail, so I would guess you are a long way from being 65. Or perhaps you are Cannuck in disguise. Either way I suggest you should (to put it politely) "hit the road" If you want it more clearly, just come back with another idiotic remark!

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
The trouble with being a fatcat senior is that sooner or later (often enough sooner), you die.

Life is a constant set of trade-offs. ;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Those nasty old seniors also get another $5 or $600 a month from Canada Pension....Is there no end to the greed of these old people.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those nasty old seniors also get another $5 or $600 a month from Canada Pension....Is there no end to the greed of these old people.

Glad you wrote that in purple. (I was ready to give you the same message as the originator). If you want to know about all the greed of the old people, just ask Cannuck.-:)

Jonny_C

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2013
North Bay, ON
Those nasty old seniors also get another $5 or $600 a month from Canada Pension...

Only if they've paid into it. I get the full CPP, my wife gets less than half, because of fewer years of contribution.

There's more to it, but CPP is like collecting on an investment; OAS is a reward for getting that far. ;-)