The Two Justins: A young boy and an older one that should know better

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
It’s time now for Two Minutes with Lex Murphy, published every week in your hometown Nugget newspaper. Sponsored by the Country Lard Store, where 'Fat is fine, anytime!'

Country Lard! Country Lard!
It's always soft and squishy!
It's never cold and hard!
Yee haw!

---

Two Minutes with Lex Murphy

The Two Justins: A young boy and an older one that should know better

It must be incredibly difficult for the two Justins. Both have a large fan base. Both are in the news constantly. And because they get a lot of media attention, people hang on their every word.

For this discourse, let's get the younger Justin out of the way. He's young, dumb and full of himself. I cannot blame him. Oh, to be nineteen, rich, and surrounded by girls! For that reason, if he doesn't kill himself with drugs or alcohol, or at the wheel of a fast car, he should mellow in time and lead a quasi-normal existence. He's sowing the wild oats that fame and fortune give to so few. For that reason, some of the bad press may stem from envy. Either way, his days in the sun will fade. One has to hope that he has a good financial planner.

Justin Bieber doesn't know enough about the world yet to realize that his words and actions will come back to haunt him. He doesn't recognize the significance of his public missteps. In a nutshell, he's immature and likely too full of himself to heed any counsel. Twenty years from now, when he's a teeny has been, some television show will dredge up the past and let him relive it, in all its embarrassing glory, once again. For that, we'll just have to wait.

But then, we have the other Justin. He's different. He should know better. He's a forty one year old teacher turned politician, who heard and witnessed Bieber-like antics everyday at the school where he taught. Because of that, he should be used to dealing with the silliness of young boys, and not make those same mistakes himself.

Because of the family into which Justin Trudeau was born, he had people advising him his whole life. His father talked to him about politics and how to live in the public eye. It's certain that his father's friends had similar conversations with Justin as well. One can say with absolute assurance that he's had close to thirty years of intelligent, cogent counsel from family and friends. Quite a different upbringing compared to 'the Biebs'!

Justin Trudeau is certainly intelligent, having earned two undergraduate degrees. He's from a famous bloodline, being the son of the most well known Canadian politician of our modern age, Pierre Trudeau. And politics aside, one can only imagine what it would be like to sit at daddy's feet and listen to the things he has seen and done.

Justin is married with children, and has the responsibility of looking after his family, coupled with leading the Liberals to victory in the next election. That's a tall order for anyone to fill. But can Justin pull it off? The Liberals are staring into a political abyss and the ground is shaky. There's a lot riding on Trudeau the Younger to triumph over the Conservatives in the next election. If he cannot, "the natural governing party" may well disappear completely from the face of the earth.

Despite what Liberals may say to defend him, he's a neophyte when it comes to public affairs. He's only been in politics since 2008. He has held no responsible appointments in that time. He has no leadership experience of the kind that's necessary to govern the Liberal party. He's used to dealing with children, not politically motivated adults with agendas. While comparisons might be drawn to his father's quick rise to power, Pierre Trudeau had several advantages that his son does not.

First and foremost, Justin's father was born in an age where there was more respect shown to members of Parliament. It was an unwritten law that the media would look the other way for non-political errors in judgment. In short, there was more camaraderie between the press and Ottawa years ago.

With the invention of satellite television, the Internet and Twitter, all bets are off. Public mistakes and arguments, both real or imagined, are instantly spread around the globe to everyone.

When the press is wrong, and that seems to be more of an issue these days, it falls squarely on the politicians to defend themselves. In that regard, the damage is done, and is rarely reversed. Texting and Twitter are a double edged sword, when the messages or tweets are misinterpreted or misunderstood.

The downside to instant communication and the press was seen during the Boston marathon bombings: There were many false reports of foreigners being arrested, unexploded devices being found downtown and terrorists in the streets. These turned out to be untrue, but proved yet again that irresponsible reporting or tweeting can hamper investigations and spread fear. Certainly, time that would have been better used finding the perpetrator was wasted answering ad nauseum questions from the press. That wasn't a problem when Pierre Trudeau was in office.

I am not a technical Luddite, but am angry that today's journalists don't spend enough time confirming the accuracy of their sources.

But back to Justin. When it comes to the press, he's been getting the lion's share of the headlines lately. The Conservatives and the NDP, less so. Is that bad for the other parties? Shouldn't Harper or Mulcair be on camera making their own noise? I think not. Some would suggest that these two leaders aren't taking Trudeau seriously, and keeping quiet is a political mistake. Others may recommend a more proactive approach and go on the attack. Therein lies the difference between Justin Trudeau and his counterparts in the Conservative Party: Trudeau and his advisers are green. Harper's people are not.

The Conservatives know the election is a couple of years off. Let the youngster sputter and pop. It's not worth the time to respond to his every media comment or quote. The public has a very short attention span. Two years from now, no one will remember what Justin said in April, 2013. Wise counsel says wait for the election, when it counts.

For Justin, it's an ignorant perception: voters remember more bad things about politicians and less of the good. Say something out of turn and the sound bites ill nip you a second time. It would seem that Justin's handlers are too inexperienced themselves to realize that. But there is a second possibility. Perhaps Trudeau is purposely not taking any advice. He could be trying to fire from the hip, like his daddy, or Justin Bieber... That's a bad idea, Mr. Trudeau. Based on what we've seen of you so far, your father was the political talent in the family.

Regardless of the why, no one will take the fight to Mr. Trudeau just yet. It's too early. They'll let him make more mistakes and burn off a lot of useless energy. The reason is simple: successful politicians and fighters have all learned it's not how hard or how often you hit, but when.

Last edited:

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think that the Liberals were counting on Justin being able to pull in the youth vote. The secondary harvest was supposed to be the disaffected, who gave up voting a few years back.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
So?

Harper was a neophyte when he began his hostile takeover of Canada and look at how successful he's been at ignoring almost everyone and taking us down a road few of us understand let alone support.

If Justin Trudeau is half as clever at returning some semblance of democracy to Canada as Stephen Harper has been in removing it then this nation will be a much better place with the Liberals back in power.

Unless of course you're party to and support what seems to be a mostly concealed conservative agenda.

Then by all means continue the "bash the hell out of all opposition until it ceases to function" nonsense that has been going on in this country in place of actual and good governance.

With his appeal to a return to much more democratic practices in Parliament, Justin Trudeau has already shown a maturity that the current PM clearly lacks. And just as clearly this threatens the SOP of a PM who doesn't really know how to lead in a democratic manner.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
My fuddle detector is sounding. You should learn to relax or you'll pop a vein.

I am part of a great underground conspiracy that's being directed by Stephen Harper even now! Steve - that's what I call him - pulled me aside a few months back and said, "Lex, there has to be a way for us to unload this country! Do you think that the Americans would buy us?"

I said, "It's a slam dunk, Steve. It was a great idea to hire Justin Trudeau to act as your foil, so that Canadians will think the Liberals are attempting a comeback. That sir, was pure genius! I've got a few other suggestions. Let's set things up so that the Conservative Party of Canada will affect what amounts to a hostile takeover of the actual country itself. We'll buy out all the social services and let the poor, the old, students and disaffected die off. That shouldn't take too long. We don't need them anyway. They'll only get in the way of the big plan: We'll sell Canada to the US and retire in Florida! Naturally, Obama won't do anything when he sees that the US will end up with all this fresh water, oil and yet to be mined natural resources."

Harper nodded his head in agreement, so I continued.

"Publicly, we'll bash the hell out the competition. They'll cease to function. Then, we'll sell the survivors to big pharma as human test specimens. We can make a huge gulag out of Manitoba. The weather's been bad there for the past few years anyway."

Steve looked at me and winked. He knew that we were sympatico. Then he invited me to lunch.

"I've just squeezed some fresh babies. They make me feel so young! Had anything to eat yet, Lex?"

I said that I had not.

"Then you must join me. A few of my cabinet ministers are throwing an impromptu tire bonfire and we'll be barbequing university students and homeless people as well."

It's great being part of the evil empire.

Last edited:

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Yah, it's a hoot, Stephen Harper fiddles(around with our freedoms) while it all burns down around us.

The climate change issue alone has already cost billions due to extreme weather and we still treat it as some big mystery in this country.

Meanwhile the conservative's answer to good governance is plug all those annoying information leaks, you know, like official sources of information and finds ever more creative ways to "win" elections.

I'm sure all this criticism of Justin Trudeau has nothing to do with the fact the only way the conservatives have the slightest hope of staying in power is to deflect as much notice and criticism of their actions as they can.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yah, it's a hoot, Stephen Harper fiddles(around with our freedoms) while it all burns down around us.
What freedoms have you lost? maybe I can help you find them, I haven't lost any.

I'm sure all this criticism of Justin Trudeau has nothing to do with the fact the only way the conservatives have the slightest hope of staying in power is to deflect as much notice and criticism of their actions as they can.
Not really, much of the criticism directed at JT is because he's green and well, kind of dumb too.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
It's all part of the plan.

I think that the Cobalt Kid posted to the wrong thread. He's after the one next door. This is the, "We're ignoring Justin until closer to the election" thread. Subtitled the "He's pretty green" thread. I thought that there were some nice things said about him in the above narrative.

There hasn't been any Justin bashing...yet.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
It's all part of the plan.

I think that the Cobalt Kid posted to the wrong thread. He's after the one next door. This is the, "We're ignoring Justin until closer to the election" thread. Subtitled the "He's pretty green". I thought that there were some nice things said about him in the above narrative.

There hasn't been any Justin bashing...yet.

Go for it, we saw what happened when the conservatives "let the psycho out" on Chretien in 1993, the idea of a couple of conservatives left in Parliament after 2015 makes me very happy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Welcome back how did your operation go?
Just fine, good thing we caught the tumor it in time. I'd hate to have ended up with the frontal lobotomy you had to have.

Thanks for asking.

Go for it, we saw what happened when the conservatives "let the psycho out" on Chretien in 1993, the idea of a couple of conservatives left in Parliament after 2015 makes me very happy.
No doubt, no need for any opposition you don't want to hear from in the democratic process eh, lol.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I'm glad all is well. Since the Kid did not get what he wanted, he's gone to start his own thread. Good for him!

In honour of videos and learnin' stuff, I've got this for the intermission. Intermissions are the parts 'twixt the beginning and the end of a movie or theatre show, strategically placed so's the audience can go pee and buy some popcorn. Enjoy!

Badger In The Outhouse High Desert Band Boise - YouTube

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Regardless of the why, no one will take the fight to Mr. Trudeau just yet. It's too early. They'll let him make more mistakes and burn off a lot of useless energy. The reason is simple: successful politicians and fighters have all learned it's not how hard or how often you hit, but when.

What fight would that be, Justin Trudeau is advocating the return of democratic freedoms to the people of Canada, are you finally admitting that the conservative party is waging war on the people of this nation?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What fight would that be, Justin Trudeau is advocating the return of democratic freedoms to the people of Canada, are you finally admitting that the conservative party is waging war on the people of this nation?
What democratic freedoms have we lost?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I get that Justin Trudeau is a threat to Stephen Harper's continued dominance in Canadian politics, but is that a bad thing?

What Harper is doing probably isn't good for the conservative party in the long term, it almost certainly isn't good the nation as a whole. Mindlessly attacking a new opposition leader may be automatic to the kind of style the conservatives have adopted, that's much more of a indication of their political failings than it is of the new Liberal leader.

Let's have more access to information from the conservatives, more accountability and transparency and less deflection of responsibility on to people who aren't responsible for where the current government has taken us.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I think that the Liberals were counting on Justin being able to pull in the youth vote. The secondary harvest was supposed to be the disaffected, who gave up voting a few years back.

Thanks for bringing that up, Lex. I wanted to repeat this because I think it's important for the Liberals. I do believe that they are trying to reclaim some of the people that left because of Ignatieff, Dion or Rae. It's understandable. The question is, will they be successful?

What democratic freedoms have we lost?

I know that you didn't ask me this question. It was a response to the errant suggestion that Canadians have experienced losses of freedom with Harper as PM. I just thought that I'd jump in and say that regardless of what party has formed the government in the past, there were always citizens that felt hard done by or wronged.

What freedoms have you lost? maybe I can help you find them, I haven't lost any.

Ah, the classic double parry, and an offer of help to the disaffected citizen as well. Nicely done! I get the feeling that you're not expecting an answer however.
---

This is a picture of one of our former prime ministers, Sir Wilfred Laurier. It has nothing to do with this thread, but I discovered that he was our seventh PM and that's a lucky number for some.

Burma Shave!

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I get that Justin Trudeau is a threat to Stephen Harper's continued dominance in Canadian politics, but is that a bad thing?

What Harper is doing probably isn't good for the conservative party in the long term, it almost certainly isn't good the nation as a whole. Mindlessly attacking a new opposition leader may be automatic to the kind of style the conservatives have adopted, that's much more of a indication of their political failings than it is of the new Liberal leader.

Let's have more access to information from the conservatives, more accountability and transparency and less deflection of responsibility on to people who aren't responsible for where the current government has taken us.

Jesus dude you really need to dial back on whatever meds your taking.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Whoa kid............you give Justy way too much cred. A threat to Steven - hardly. A threat to Tommy M possibly.