Unmitigated Gall

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
MPs flee after getting pay raise

OTTAWA – In what is not an April Fool’s Day prank, MPs are getting a pay raise Monday that will bring their base salaries to $160,200 from $157,731 after the House of Commons quietly lifted a three-year pay freeze.
MPs were notified of the 1.6% increase just before they scattered from Parliament Hill on Thursday for a two-week Easter break.
The increase is based on the “index of the average percentage increase in base-rate wages for a calendar year in Canada resulting from major settlements negotiated in the private sector,” says an e-mail to MPs.
The hike also translates into fatter pay packets for the prime minister, cabinet ministers, ministers of state, opposition leaders, the Speaker and other parliamentarians who have additional responsibilities besides MP duties.
That means whips, parliamentary secretaries, chairs of Commons committees and caucus chairs will also see extra compensation.
The Canadian Taxpayers Federation said it isn’t too bothered by what it said amounted to a small cost-of-living adjustment compared to the days of “big catch-up” increases.
But it did question the timing, considering that when salaries were frozen in 2009-10 as part of an exercise to show political belt-tightening at a time of private-sector job losses, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty forecast an $8.6 billion deficit.
“So what’s changed?” asked Gregory Thomas, the federation’s national director. “The deficit is nearly twice as big as he expected when he froze MP salaries.”
Under the new pay scale, Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s take-home pay — excluding other perks like a house, cottage, car and driver — rises to $320,400, including his $160,200 MP wage.
NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair will earn $236,900 plus a house and a car.
Cabinet ministers will earn the same as the leader of the official Opposition.
The next leader of the third-place Liberal Party is not entitled to a car and house on the public dime, but will receive a salary of $214,700 — or the equivalent of 11 Justin Trudeau speeches.
Thomas said MPs “shouldn’t be expected to work for peanuts” and that Canadians should be raising a bigger stink over a parliamentary pension plan that is still called gold-plated despite changes last fall to trim some of the icing.
The spending watchdog said when interest and adjustments are factored in, taxpayers are contributing $25 for every $1 MPs put into the fund, and that more is being paid out than going in.

MPs flee after getting pay raise | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun

Yeah, fleeing alright. Like cockroaches when you turn on the light. Entitled to their freaking entitlements.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The premise, when queried, has always been that you need to offer big money to attract quality people.

I think it's safe to say it's failed, lol.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, it's crap. The big pay cheques come after they leave Parliament anyways.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's no longer a sacrifice to stand for your constituents.

$666 a day based on 240 work days per year at $160K give or take.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

$666 a day.

Do they get to collect EI when they retire, or do they have to move 100K to the nearest job which pays not more than 75% of their former earnings:?

They will have to do a bunch of whoring and oral sex to make the money they did by whoring and oral sex when they were in office.

The Great Leader will no doubt, lead by example

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The premise, when queried, has always been that you need to offer big money to attract quality people.

A massive and colossal failure, I'd say!

Yeah, it's crap. The big pay cheques come after they leave Parliament anyways.

Of course, with us lowly peons contributing $25 for every $1 they pony up.

Not a lot really, seriously pisses me off, but this b.s. always has me seeing red. It's freaking thievery!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Do they get to collect EI when they retire, or do they have to move 100K to the nearest job which pays not more than 75% of their former earnings:?

That depends, the day before yesterday CPC phoned and did a poll.

There were two non- narcissistic party fluff questions;
  1. Should EI recipients be cut off for turning down work outside their skill set and pay scale?
  2. What should we do about Injun funding and mismanagement?
It's going to be a harsh fall session that will rattle a lot of cages.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

That's nice....except they don't work 24 days a year let alone 240. If they did anything but cost us money I might not be so inclined to have them all jailed for dereliction of sworn duty, at least that wouldn't cost us as much.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

The 'best' argument is when an MP says 'if we pay too little, there is a higher risk of corruption'? I disagree. A lower wage woudl dissuade those who are just seeking money, would it not? Also, is the MP essentially confessing to an inner temptation?

About 83 bucks an hour, and that's assuming an 8 hour workday. Dang they must work hard to hearn that much. Either that or they're extremely qualified.

Hmmm... Not that either.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The 'best' argument is when an MP says 'if we pay too little, there is a higher risk of corruption'? I disagree. A lower wage woudl dissuade those who are just seeking money, would it not? Also, is the MP essentially confessing to an inner temptation?

I like that one! Maybe thieves and drug dealers could use it to get money from the government. "If you pay us, we'll stop stealing and selling drugs."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all I think it is terrible that they have suffered austerity for three years and even
screwing people out of the programs they paid for they still can't balance the budget.
Poor things are they not supposed to be above the suffering of the rest after all they
work on "The Hill" isn't that supposed to elevate them?
To be fair they do work 240 days or more, there is a lot of work and things that they do
within their riding I get that. What angers me is, they are giving themselves raises and
the rest of us cuts. They give themselves raises regardless of whether they did their
job or not individually.
Some work very hard and others do little except order expensive orange juice.
the fact is we should find a different method to pay them. secondly did ya notice they
took the money and ran, like kids with a report card on the last day of school?
Then again, they finally agreed on something together isn't that a sign of progress?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
First of all I think it is terrible that they have suffered austerity for three years and even
screwing people out of the programs they paid for they still can't balance the budget.
Poor things are they not supposed to be above the suffering of the rest after all they
work on "The Hill" isn't that supposed to elevate them?
To be fair they do work 240 days or more, there is a lot of work and things that they do
within their riding I get that. What angers me is, they are giving themselves raises and
the rest of us cuts. They give themselves raises regardless of whether they did their
job or not individually.
Some work very hard and others do little except order expensive orange juice.
the fact is we should find a different method to pay them. secondly did ya notice they
took the money and ran, like kids with a report card on the last day of school?
Then again, they finally agreed on something together isn't that a sign of progress?

But aren't you comforted by the fact that this way they might be paid enough to not turn to corruption? Just to be on the safe side, maybe we shold raise their salaries even more. And wile we're at it, we should be thankful there hasn't been more corruption coming from those poor things.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
LOL. When it comes time to vote on the pay raise then it's "partisan what?". They're all in it together the greedy bastards.

It's not greed. They're doing it for the public good. They want to make sure they're paid enough to not be tempted by corruption.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's not greed. They're doing it for the public good. They want to make sure they're paid enough to not be tempted by corruption.

Well we're all stupid enough to forget all about it when the next election rolls around, so who knows, maybe you're right.