NWT agreement with Ottawa, province-like powers

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Big news from the North, West Territories specifically. An agreement has been reached between NWT and Ottawa that would give more power to the NWT. Currently, Ottawa receives a large portion of the money created by the resource boom in the North. This deal would see more of that pie going to the NWT. Two of the seven aboriginal governments have yet to sign on.

Northwest Territories get province-like powers, but without some aboriginal agreement

Yes, big news from the North!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's great. The pittance the territories used to receive was an insult when you consider just how rich they are in resources. Its time they got to be in charge of their own future. Good for them.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I also wonder what this means for Northern allowance and those other programs.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
You poor deluded souls,what harper is doing,by granting more responsibility to the provinces,is giving himself an out.A fall guy,patsy if you will. The feds save all the money and the provinces take the blame.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You poor deluded souls,what harper is doing,by granting more responsibility to the provinces,is giving himself an out.A fall guy,patsy if you will. The feds save all the money and the provinces take the blame.

That damn Harper!!! First, he hatches an evil plot to spike everyone's food with excessive amounts of sodium (from the salt mines he owns) and now this.

Why can't any of us ever catch a break.

Won't someone please think of the children!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I also wonder what this means for Northern allowance and those other programs.

It shouldn't mean anything to the Northern Allowance and those types of programs: all they are is recognition that the cost of living is much higher in northern locales because of the cost of shipping things like groceries and clothing is much higher than in more southerly places. The feds recognized this and adjusted the tax rate for those residents to reflect the percentages more in line with their more southern neighbours (i.e. person in the North has to spend x% more on necessities of life thus their taxes are adjusted down to allow for that fact).

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

The process with NWT started under the Liberals. Hah!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Apparently you didn't quite understand what was said. I'll run a synopsis by you (give you the reader's digest condensed version): there's an agreement to let the NWT keep more of the dough from its resources.
How does that enable Harpy to save all the money and dump blame on the provinces. And what do the provinces have to do with it anyway?
This is nothing like Martin's despicable act of pulling the rug out from under the provinces all the while taking funds from the provinces in order to balance the budget for a couple years.

It shouldn't mean anything to the Northern Allowance and those types of programs: all they are is recognition that the cost of living is much higher in northern locales because of the cost of shipping things like groceries and clothing is much higher than in more southerly places. The feds recognized this and adjusted the tax rate for those residents to reflect the percentages more in line with their more southern neighbours (i.e. person in the North has to spend x% more on necessities of life thus their taxes are adjusted down to allow for that fact).
Exactly.