Quebec Language Police Are Mysteriously Drawn to Italian Establishments

no color
First Pastagate, now Italian coffee houses.

Quote:

Global News :
Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:34 PM

Trouble brewing with Quebec language police for a Montreal 'caffe'

MONTREAL - Another Montreal merchant is claiming the Quebec language police is harassing him.

The owner of a Mile End told Global News that he's facing heavy fines unless he changes the name of his coffee shop.

As you walk into the Caffe in Gamba on Park Avenue, you might think you're in a small village in Italy.

The smell of espresso is in the air, the signs on the wall almost all in Italian and everything here is green, white and red - except the owner.

A self-described "pure laine," Jean-Francois Leduc loves his shop's Italian flair, but The Office Quebecois de la langue francaise (OQLF) has had a problem with that for two years. They have sent Leduc warning letters, pushing him to change the name of his shop, replacing the "caffe" with the French version "café."

"'Caffe in Gamba' is a registered business here in Montreal, and across Canada," Leduc said Friday. "I do not think registered trademarks are illegal here."

Leduc told the OLQF "no, grazie" (no, thank you) - and the government agency is now threatening to send him to court. A trip that could result in up to $4,000 in fines.

"It's really disturbing, you think you're the most wanted criminal on earth."

What really bothers Leduc is that Caffe in Gamba is located right next door to an SAQ outlet that's promoting Italian wine this week.

The provincial alcohol board is celebrating everything Italian with a "Festivino." It's even promoting wines that go well with - you guessed it - pasta.

Another area merchant, Louis Pagakis was also frustrated by what the perceived hypocrisy.

"The SAQ is government-owned, government-run, and they're putting 'pasta' and 'vino' on their flyers, it's unbelieveable!"

Yet another controversy is brewing at the Montreal municipal courthouse, where the English on bilingual signs was recently blocked off with black tape, following a complaint to the OQLF.

Even experienced lawyers called the move silly.

"We're in 2013, we're in a civilized society, and there are people being undemocratic."

Former MNA Robert Libman noted that tensions are starting to heat up in Montreal's English community at a conference put together by a new citizen's rights group Thursday night that attracted 600 people.

"A meeting like we saw last night, I haven't seen since we started the Equality Party 24 years ago," he said.

Read it on Global News: Global Montreal | Trouble brewing with Quebec language police for a Montreal 'caffe' (external - login to view)

Yet another one ...

Quote:

CJAD News:
2/26/2013 5:36:00 AM

Caffe has OQLF seeing red

An upscale Italian restaurant in Quebec City is selling its supply of wine glasses because they violate the language law.

The owners of the Conti Caffe says they have already spent $20,000 to replace menus and outdoor signs and are now being forced to get rid of their entire wine glass supply because the word caffe has two F's.

It is the Italian spelling for cafe, which has one F in French.

And that is one F too many for the language police.

The owner of the restaurant says he will take the proceeds from the sale of wine glasses and donate them to a local charity.

- See more at: CJAD 800 (external - login to view)

CDNBear
That damned ethnic vote.

Johnnny
Damn that extra consonant..... This **** be serious, just like the internet.... Henri Bourassa would be rolling around in his grave if he knew the Quebec government of today is acting like the Ontario Government of his day....

The Quebec Provincial Government is more Prussian, than Prussia

Oh this square head just pwnd your asses and you dont even know . Aint 95% of you know what im talking about!!! and thats sad, quit reading American history!!!!
Last edited by Johnnny; Mar 1st, 2013 at 07:10 PM..

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That damned ethnic vote.

Do they not understand that this is not how they get it????

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

No...

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

No...

There will be some red, red faces come election day!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+3
Cover-up.... Language cops really don't want you to know that Mario makes a better Pizza....

Johnnny
The French in Quebec have to realize that their language isnt doomed because of 4+ centuries of english colonialism..... The French in Ontario have survived and still to this day retain their language..... They are going strong, and trust me i have the anecdotal evidence to prove it, iam after all from Sudbury.....

Quebec is our generations example of a xenophobic province, back in the day it was Ontario.....

So im going to continue on and say:

HAHAHAHAHA, the KEEPBEC gobernent is ignorant and run by some of the biggest babies in our country.... Even bigger than albertas politicians....

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Cover-up.... Language cops really don't want you to know that Mario makes a better Pizza....

Well that would be wrong because Luigi makes the better Pizza.

CDNBear
+1
Oh great!

Another Luigi v Mario, who makes the better pizza flame war!

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Oh great!

Another Luigi v Mario, who makes the better pizza flame war!

Well, it's Friday night, pizza is important and there may or may not be alcohol involved.

Johnnny
Straight up, im the only troll around here..... Well one of them.....

gerryh
+1

Well, it's Friday night, pizza is important and there may or may not be alcohol involved.

If you're planning on getting laid, I suggest lots and lots of alcohol.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

If you're planning on getting laid, I suggest lots and lots of alcohol.

Well I'm on my own tonight and, honestly, I rarely need to get myself drunk to take advantage of me.

gerryh
+1

Well I'm on my own tonight and, honestly, I rarely need to get myself drunk to take advantage of me.

I wasn't suggesting the alcohol was for you.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

I wasn't suggesting the alcohol was for you.

Now that's just mean.

LOL.

gerryh
+1

Now that's just mean.

LOL.

Have I ever said I was a nice guy?

SLM
No Party Affiliation

Have I ever said I was a nice guy?

Nice? Meh, interesting is better.

Even when interesting gets occasionally mean.

Goober
Free Thinker
It is the garlic- Repels Vampires though.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation

I guess that depends on which ethnic vote you are going for. The PQ is clearly after the paranoid French vote full speed ahead and dam the torpedos.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2

PepsiItalian11wmv - YouTube

Johnnny
+1
Thats a classic commercial i remember that commercial.... Just like i remember the old TNT commercials...

Coca Cola is still better in my opinion, you dig kapeesh

tastes way better with rye than pepsi

Goober
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Thats a classic commercial i remember that commercial.... Just like i remember the old TNT commercials...

Coca Cola is still better in my opinion, you dig kapeesh

tastes way better with rye than pepsi

And Dark Rum.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
They should send that little girl in to set things straight for the language police.

Johnnny
Does montreal have a china town? , or better yet a punjabi or hindi community that has a bunch of sankrist signs out on the street?

Nuggler
Hopefully the language police forget to check under their cars with mirrors.

How you spella Ka-Boom en Francais.??

Johnnny
+1
Man the language police would **** a chicken if they heard the Franco-Ontarians speaking franglish

s_lone
+6
#28  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Does montreal have a china town? , or better yet a punjabi or hindi community that has a bunch of sankrist signs out on the street?

I live in Montreal so I technically should be able to answer your question. But considering my English language skills it's not safe for me to leave my home. I've never been further than the supermarket from fear of being caught by the language gestapo! Hopefully they never discover my activities here on Canadian Content otherwise my days are counted.

I've lost a friend to the gestapo when he tried to smuggle a box full of English literature classics across the Quebec border. They shot him on the spot.

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

i live in montreal so i technically should be able to answer your question. But considering my english language skills it's not safe for me to leave my home. I've never been further than the supermarket from fear of being caught by the language gestapo! Hopefully they never discover my activities here on canadian content otherwise my days are counted.

I've lost a friend to the gestapo when he tried to smuggle a box full of english literature classics across the quebec border. They shot him on the spot.

hahhahahahaha

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

hahhahahahaha

Hey, that's not funny. I'm worried about s_lone now!

All kidding aside...

Quote: Originally Posted by s_loneView Post

I live in Montreal so I technically should be able to answer your question. But considering my English language skills it's not safe for me to leave my home. I've never been further than the supermarket from fear of being caught by the language gestapo! Hopefully they never discover my activities here on Canadian Content otherwise my days are counted.

I've lost a friend to the gestapo when he tried to smuggle a box full of English literature classics across the Quebec border. They shot him on the spot.

It's all well and good to make light of it s_lone, but the language cops are harassing businesses, big and small.

Whether you care to see that for what it is or not, really doesn't change the fact that it's abhorrent.

no new posts