Quebec Language Law Targets Military Families

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
To Heck with Italian restaurants!!!

When I consider the effects of Bill 14, the Parti Québécois’ latest legislative effort aimed at increasing restrictions against the use of English in Quebec, I think of Sandra.
Sandra goes to the English-language Dollard-des-Ormeaux school, just off Valcartier military base near Quebec City. When I met her, she emotionally asked why she would have to change schools and lose her friends.
Her father serves in the military and was wounded in Afghanistan. She lives with her mother. (Her parents separated partly due to the strain of post-traumatic stress after her father returned from combat.) Now, one of the few constants in her life, her elementary school and close friends, could be taken away by Bill 14.
There are 600 Sandras in Quebec City and Bagotville: children from military families who would lose the right to attend school in the language of their choice because of Bill 14. Almost 20% of the children in English-language educational institutions in Central Quebec School Board (CQSB) would be removed from their schools.

Bill 14’s attack on the children of war veterans and members of our armed forces lays bare the glaring contradiction, and indeed cruelty, of nationalistic governance in Quebec since the Quiet Revolution. A political movement predicated on preserving a minority-language group within North American, the French, has systematically sought to marginalize minority-language Anglos within Quebec.

Quebec language law takes a slap at families of Canadian military | Full Comment | National Post

Time to take them on Harper!!

Grow a set. You'd be the first PM in almost 100 years to do so.

Disallow Quebec's language law.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
How about you read the updated Charter of the French language? Is that too much to ask?

73. The following children, at the request of one of their parents, may receive instruction in English:

(1) a child whose father or mother is a Canadian citizen and received elementary instruction in English in Canada, provided that that instruction constitutes the major part of the elementary instruction he or she received in Canada;

(2) a child whose father or mother is a Canadian citizen and who has received or is receiving elementary or secondary instruction in English in Canada, and the brothers and sisters of that child, provided that that instruction constitutes the major part of the elementary or secondary instruction received by the child in Canada;
Charter of the French language

I'm pretty sure that is going to cover everybody that wants their children to go to an English school. They removed the exception because it isn't really needed.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Screw Harper ... he is not going to touch this...
But the school board , gah froegt the name , they are taking this to court.
This is not going to go through, as the PQ don't have a majority. All this will bite them in the *** next election.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Harper should take on Quebec. It's not like he is going to loose many votes there and the rest of the country would pay big money to see it happen.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Harper should take on Quebec. It's not like he is going to loose many votes there and the rest of the country would pay big money to see it happen.

Yep, I'd pay big bucks to watch........already am - probably. But it ain't gonna happen. This quisling mother****er only hits people who are down and out.

Even then he doesn't do it himself. Has some back bencher put forward "a bill".

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm sure the father did his best not to get wounded in A-Stan.

The comment was directed at the post below, which was in turn directed to the post below that.... Unless, of course you're suggesting that all of Quebec were wounded in Afghanistan

Yep, I'd pay big bucks to watch........already am - probably. But it ain't gonna happen. This quisling mother****er only hits people who are down and out.

Even then he doesn't do it himself. Has some back bencher put forward "a bill".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The comment was directed at the post below, which was in turn directed to the post below that.... Unless, of course you're suggesting that all of Quebec were wounded in Afghanistan
I'm referring to the topic. They are stuck in Bagotville and no choice in the matter. Military personnel are there for Canada not just Quebec.

I'm not afraid to say it, Quebec is a fvcked up place and it's only getting worse. We all know the language laws aren't to keep the Quebecois heritage alive, it's to keep the English and immigrants out.

As for Harper, he isn't the Premier of Quebec.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm referring to the topic. They are stuck in Bagotville and no choice in the matter. Military personnel are there for Canada not just Quebec.

I'm not afraid to say it, Quebec is a fvcked up place and it's only getting worse. We all know the language laws aren't to keep the Quebecois heritage alive, it's to keep the English and immigrants out.

But Harper is Prime Minster of all Canada. As such it is his duty to ensure that laws are applied evenly across the country and do not discriminate against an identifiable group. In this case that group would be anyone not born speaking French.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
But Harper is Prime Minster of all Canada. As such it is his duty to ensure that laws are applied evenly across the country and do not discriminate against an identifiable group. In this case that group would be anyone not born speaking French.
Provincial laws are Provincial laws. Federal laws are Federal laws. It's like blaming Harper for speed limits.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Provincial laws are Provincial laws. Federal laws are Federal laws. It's like blaming Harper for speed limits.

OK It is Harper's fault that the speed limit through Qualicum Beach is so low one must take a sleeping bag on a trip through town.

But speed laws do not discriminate against a particular group like Quebec's language law.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Fair enough - my focus at this point (similar to yours I think) is that the Quebec is playing fast and loose with the lives of people. The military is a federal concern, one that Quebec as a province has benefited from during those times when they needed their assistance.

I see this as the province looking a gift horse in the mouth and let's be honest, it's not like the Quebec economy can survive without billions in annual transfer payments from the Feds... If Que wants to play that game, I say boot 'em in the teeth while they're down just to illustrate to them that they are, in fact, down.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
OK It is Harper's fault that the speed limit through Qualicum Beach is so low one must take a sleeping bag on a trip through town.

But speed laws do not discriminate against a particular group like Quebec's language law.
They discriminate against anyone non-Quebcois. It's a Fascist regime.

Fair enough - my focus at this point (similar to yours I think) is that the Quebec is playing fast and loose with the lives of people. The military is a federal concern, one that Quebec as a province has benefited from during those times when they needed their assistance.

I see this as the province looking a gift horse in the mouth and let's be honest, it's not like the Quebec economy can survive without billions in annual transfer payments from the Feds... If Que wants to play that game, I say boot 'em in the teeth while they're down just to illustrate to them that they are, in fact, down.
The M in Military is for Mobile. Move them out.