What's Vancouverism?

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
The Globe and Mail says that other cities are looking to Vancouver for guidance, and Vancouverism refers to the idea that

having a crowded, people-packed downtown core is not a problem but a solution.

What's so uniquely Vancouver about that?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Even going back a couple of decades ago the west end of Vancouver was one of the most densely populated regions per square mile in North America. And since then it is even more so. I think what the writer is saying is it might be better to have that than to have a pile of parking lots along with urban sprawl.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cities are urban concentration camps. Vancouver is just one of them. Overcrowding will inevitably cause crowded rat syndrome, which seems to be coming along well with all the gang violence and other criminal activity. Hmmm! I wonder why there is a serious drug problem in Vancouver (as well as most cities?)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Many enjoy the urbanite lifestyle. The east side of Vancouver is a different story all together.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'd lived in crowded chinese cities, I'd visited Hong Kong, and quite frankly I'm impressed by their efficient use of space. They don't have much by way of suburbs there. You decide. Do you want to live in the city or the country. Make your choice. In the far east they don't have space to waste on suburbs. In that sense I totally agree with Vancouver's approach. You want to live in the city, then live in teh city.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
We're expanding to the Fraser Valley, which would soon be part of Greater Vancouver, just as Surrey has become part of Greater Vancouver. But, if there's more people, there will be more business.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It wouldn't be so bad if they would have built some roars around the city. N-S traffic through Vancouver id retarded. Can''t get downtown anymore either cause mayor moonbeam turned half the streets into bike lanes for his friends.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This kind of stupidity is not restricted to Vancouver. Seems to be epidemic of sports fans world wide. At least Vancouverites don't shoot the ref when they don't like their call.

I think Vancouver is the leader in this regard. Go ahead and chant. Vancouver is #1. Just don't burn any cars while doing it. :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Vancouverism?

That guy wearing the Canucks jersey looks familiar. It's Dustin Byfuglien.