Canadian Office of Religious Freedom

FiveParadox
Liberal
It is expected that, tomorrow, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, will announce the creation of the Office of Religious Freedom. This new Office was a campaign promise of Her Majesty's Government for Canada ahead of the last general election. The establishment of the Office has apparently faced some delays due to challenges in getting someone to agree to take on the Office's job job. (source)

The plans to create the Office stirred some controversy when it was discovered that the panel that the Government consulted to develop the terms of reference and the mission for the Office, were drawn mostly from Western religions (with four panelists drawn from Christian faiths, and one each drawn from the Jewish and Baha'i faiths). The Government has also advised that its Office may be modeled on the U.S. version of the same, which has also sparked concern (since the U.S. equivelant is largely seen as a defender of Christianity, rather than a defender of religious freedom). (source)

I can only assume that the prime minister is making tomorrow's announcement at a mosque in order to assuage concerns that the to-be-established Office has already turned into an institution with a Western religious bias. I think that the work of this Office is going to need to be monitored tremendously carefully, to ensure that it does not just become a Government-funded propagation tool of the Christian faith community (which, if modeled on the U.S. version, is a legitimate concern).

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Spade
Free Thinker
+5
It is appropriate that Paradox introduced the Office of Religious Freedom.

Suppose I were a witch who was a worshipper of Wicca.
I should assume that the Office would uphold my right.
Suppose Paradox believes in the literal interpretation of the Bible.
Leviticus 20:27 "'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.'".
I should assume that the Office would uphold his right.
Paradox!

Government should distance itself from religious beliefs.

Surely it is not an Office of Meddling and Propaganda.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+4
What an absolute load of crap, and a total waste of money. This is the introduction
of the social conservative agenda this government is warming up to push. Talk
about the Senate being filled with a waste of time crew. Not only will we have this
nonsense pushed on us in this country, the person will be known as an ambassador
and they will preach religious freedom and scold other countries for not ensuring it
in their own nations.
When are we going to understand, these are national issues within nations and none
of our business period.
Here we have a government that speaks out against China and its policy on all kinds
of things including religion and then we do business with them because the corporate
masters insist they do so. Office of religious freedom indeed.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+8
#4  Top Rated Post
Has a ring of "Ministry of Truth" to it. Orwell must be chuckling from his grave.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Has a ring of "Ministry of Truth" to it. Orwell must be chuckling from his grave.

Wish they would to the "non speak" thing.

El Barto
Any religion should conform the the laws we already have.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
I thought this Harper crowd was supposed to be reducing the size of government not creating new departments and ministries.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Resistance is futile, we will never be free of religion as long as we have bankers. hear the church bells ring cha ching cha ching gold is king cha ching cha ching cha ching Amon

Johnnny
+4

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadoxView Post

It is expected that, tomorrow, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, will announce the creation of the Office of Religious Freedom. This new Office was a campaign promise of Her Majesty's Government for Canada ahead of the last general election. The establishment of the Office has apparently faced some delays due to challenges in getting someone to agree to take on the Office's job job. (source)
The plans to create the Office stirred some controversy when it was discovered that the panel that the Government consulted to develop the terms of reference and the mission for the Office, were drawn mostly from Western religions (with four panelists drawn from Christian faiths, and one each drawn from the Jewish and Baha'i faiths). The Government has also advised that its Office may be modeled on the U.S. version of the same, which has also sparked concern (since the U.S. equivelant is largely seen as a defender of Christianity, rather than...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

Nice to see ya Paradox.

Corduroy
Is less freedom of religion a problem in Canada?

Johnnny
All religons have it good here, we arent a theocracy and never will be..................

Corduroy
+2
If we aren't a theocracy, why is our head of state the head of a religion?

Johnnny
Are yo talking about the article? This new department is with foreign affairs... And i dont remember seeing harper, the govoner general or the queen holding regular prayer sessions in the house of commons.....

relic
Free Thinker
+2
How many of these make work for his buddys things has harpo started already ? I'll give you a hint,the answer isn't zero.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadoxView Post

The plans to create the Office stirred some controversy when it was discovered that the panel that the Government consulted to develop the terms of reference and the mission for the Office, were drawn mostly from Western religions (with four panelists drawn from Christian faiths, and one each drawn from the Jewish and Baha'i faiths). The Government has also advised that its Office may be modeled on the U.S. version of the same, which has also sparked concern (since the U.S. equivelant is largely seen as a defender of...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I see two big problems for this office:

1. It's redundant. (Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / OHCHR Welcome page (external - login to view)), and
2. It risks attracting ridicule owing to double standards. consider the separate school system which the OHCHR has criticized already.

Other than that, it would have been a valuable office had it not been for the OHCHR already existing and the fact that the office will turn a blind eye to religious discrimination with in Canada's own borders.

Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

If the Queen abandoned the Church of England or married a catholic (any other religion is fine, ironically enough), she'd lose her seat according to the Constitution!

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Are yo talking about the article? This new department is with foreign affairs... And i dont remember seeing harper, the govoner general or the queen holding regular prayer sessions in the house of commons.....

No, probably not, because they don't let the public or the media in to see it, but an opening prayer is part of the procedure every day the house is open.

Spade
Free Thinker

And, according to Anglican Church records, in 2001, their membership was 631 845 which represented 2% of the Canadian population. In 2013, the percentage is...? Ain't monarchies grand!

Machjo
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Right. But should equality not also go with freedom, and should it not also apply within our borders?

Spade
Free Thinker
"Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Colpy
Conservative
+1
Look, I'm a Conservative Party member.....and I don't get this one at all........silly, and a waste of time and money.

And as someone pointed out....are our tax dollars to be spent promoting Wiccans, or Satanists, or Paganism??

Ludicrous.

Spade
Free Thinker
Please, paganism is a perjorative term; (memo to self) should report this to the Sacred Office.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1

OHOH why is a religious leader on my money? Who really gets the taxes I used to pay?

Johnnny
Can you guys elaborate?

I have yet to see people get beaten in the streets for their religon.... I have yet to see people not included at various venues because of their faith????

When people enter the country, being christian isnt mandatory its optional

i agree this is a waste of money.....

People who live their faith, whatever it is have it good in this country....

Just because you guys dont like a few rednecks doesnt mean the country as a whole is borken

Spade
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

OHOH why is a religious leader on my money? Who really gets the taxes I used to pay?

Pray your money is worth something, DB.

In Canada only 31% of people identify positively with any religion.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
Meh, promote one religion,promote em all. Or none at all. Attaboy Harpy; add more bureaucracy; give you palsy walsies some jobs.

Spade
Free Thinker
+4
Now that the Pope is retiring... I wonder if he'd consider a contract with Canada's Holy Office?

darkbeaver
Republican
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Pray your money is worth something, DB.

In Canada only 31% of people identify positively with any religion.

That means 69% of the people are served negatively or not at all by religion in this country. Normally an unproductive practice is discontinued. The minority 31% are ruling and ruining the lives of the majority with their loud music and bizarre cultish goings on.

Spade
Free Thinker
DB, be careful, Canada's Sacred Office is watching.
- Apologies to Royal Paradox.

darkbeaver
Republican
+2
I worship the sun, I have nothing to fear but clouds and snow and fierce winds and the occasional fireball, thats god in these parts and besides they are millions of tax dollars away from study and consultations before they can begin efficient inquizitions.