Canadian Office of Religious Freedom

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It is expected that, tomorrow, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, will announce the creation of the Office of Religious Freedom. This new Office was a campaign promise of Her Majesty's Government for Canada ahead of the last general election. The establishment of the Office has apparently faced some delays due to challenges in getting someone to agree to take on the Office's job job. (source)

The plans to create the Office stirred some controversy when it was discovered that the panel that the Government consulted to develop the terms of reference and the mission for the Office, were drawn mostly from Western religions (with four panelists drawn from Christian faiths, and one each drawn from the Jewish and Baha'i faiths). The Government has also advised that its Office may be modeled on the U.S. version of the same, which has also sparked concern (since the U.S. equivelant is largely seen as a defender of Christianity, rather than a defender of religious freedom). (source)

I can only assume that the prime minister is making tomorrow's announcement at a mosque in order to assuage concerns that the to-be-established Office has already turned into an institution with a Western religious bias. I think that the work of this Office is going to need to be monitored tremendously carefully, to ensure that it does not just become a Government-funded propagation tool of the Christian faith community (which, if modeled on the U.S. version, is a legitimate concern).

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It is appropriate that Paradox introduced the Office of Religious Freedom.

Suppose I were a witch who was a worshipper of Wicca.
I should assume that the Office would uphold my right.
Suppose Paradox believes in the literal interpretation of the Bible.
Leviticus 20:27 "'A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.'".
I should assume that the Office would uphold his right.
Paradox!

Government should distance itself from religious beliefs.

Surely it is not an Office of Meddling and Propaganda.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What an absolute load of crap, and a total waste of money. This is the introduction
of the social conservative agenda this government is warming up to push. Talk
about the Senate being filled with a waste of time crew. Not only will we have this
nonsense pushed on us in this country, the person will be known as an ambassador
and they will preach religious freedom and scold other countries for not ensuring it
in their own nations.
When are we going to understand, these are national issues within nations and none
of our business period.
Here we have a government that speaks out against China and its policy on all kinds
of things including religion and then we do business with them because the corporate
masters insist they do so. Office of religious freedom indeed.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I thought this Harper crowd was supposed to be reducing the size of government not creating new departments and ministries.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Resistance is futile, we will never be free of religion as long as we have bankers. hear the church bells ring cha ching cha ching gold is king cha ching cha ching cha ching Amon

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It is expected that, tomorrow, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, will announce the creation of the Office of Religious Freedom. This new Office was a campaign promise of Her Majesty's Government for Canada ahead of the last general election. The establishment of the Office has apparently faced some delays due to challenges in getting someone to agree to take on the Office's job job. (source)

The plans to create the Office stirred some controversy when it was discovered that the panel that the Government consulted to develop the terms of reference and the mission for the Office, were drawn mostly from Western religions (with four panelists drawn from Christian faiths, and one each drawn from the Jewish and Baha'i faiths). The Government has also advised that its Office may be modeled on the U.S. version of the same, which has also sparked concern (since the U.S. equivelant is largely seen as a defender of Christianity, rather than a defender of religious freedom). (source)

I can only assume that the prime minister is making tomorrow's announcement at a mosque in order to assuage concerns that the to-be-established Office has already turned into an institution with a Western religious bias. I think that the work of this Office is going to need to be monitored tremendously carefully, to ensure that it does not just become a Government-funded propagation tool of the Christian faith community (which, if modeled on the U.S. version, is a legitimate concern).

Nice to see ya Paradox. :smile:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Are yo talking about the article? This new department is with foreign affairs... And i dont remember seeing harper, the govoner general or the queen holding regular prayer sessions in the house of commons.....

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
How many of these make work for his buddys things has harpo started already ? I'll give you a hint,the answer isn't zero.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I see two big problems for this office:

1. It's redundant. (Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights / OHCHR Welcome page), and
2. It risks attracting ridicule owing to double standards. consider the separate school system which the OHCHR has criticized already.

Other than that, it would have been a valuable office had it not been for the OHCHR already existing and the fact that the office will turn a blind eye to religious discrimination with in Canada's own borders.

If we aren't a theocracy, why is our head of state the head of a religion?

If the Queen abandoned the Church of England or married a catholic (any other religion is fine, ironically enough), she'd lose her seat according to the Constitution!

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Are yo talking about the article? This new department is with foreign affairs... And i dont remember seeing harper, the govoner general or the queen holding regular prayer sessions in the house of commons.....

No, probably not, because they don't let the public or the media in to see it, but an opening prayer is part of the procedure every day the house is open.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If we aren't a theocracy, why is our head of state the head of a religion?

And, according to Anglican Church records, in 2001, their membership was 631 845 which represented 2% of the Canadian population. In 2013, the percentage is...? Ain't monarchies grand!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Right. But should equality not also go with freedom, and should it not also apply within our borders?