Forensic audit of Rob Ford's 2010 campaign coming today

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Forensic audit into Rob Ford’s 2010 Toronto mayoral campaign coming today: reports

The results of a forensic audit into Mayor Rob Ford’s campaign spending will be released Friday, according to CP24.

The audit was ordered last year by the city’s compliance audit committee after two residents, Adam Chaleff-Freudenthaler and Max Reed, brought forward allegations that the mayor broke the rules during his 2010 bid for mayor.

The allegations centre around the role of Doug Ford Holdings, the family holding company that invoiced the Ford campaign for more than $77,000 in campaign-related expenses. Mr. Reed and Mr. Chaleff-Freudenthaler allege the holding company illicitly acted as a lender by fronting funds for campaign goods and services, which were not repaid until last March.

Mr. Ford’s lawyer has argued that Doug Ford Holdings was not a lender, but a vendor, which subcontracted for various goods and services and was repaid in full by the Ford campaign. Last April, the mayor abandoned a legal bid to block the audit order and request a fresh hearing. “We wanted to have a new hearing in court at the first available opportunity and save taxpayers expense if the court decided an audit was unnecessary. It now appears that the way to have this matter addressed fully without delay is to proceed with an audit,” the Mayor said in a statement at the time.

If found guilty of contravening the Municipal Elections Act, the mayor could face a range of penalties, from a fine to removal from office.

Rob Ford audit coming today: reports | Posted Toronto | National Post

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
pay the money back..... ok... you'll have to explain that one. Who is he supposed to pay the money back too? He over spent by 44k on a 1.3 million dollar budget ( whoop de doo).......

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
pay the money back..... ok... you'll have to explain that one. Who is he supposed to pay the money back too? He over spent by 44k on a 1.3 million dollar budget ( whoop de doo).......

Respect for the taxpayers?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It's still 40K that gave him an advantage.

G&M article on this fascination with some lefty conspiracy.

There is particle of truth in all that. A small group of activists have indeed been making it their job to trip up the mayor – though there is nothing like the vast left-wing conspiracy the Fords seem to imagine. But here is the point: no one would be able to come after them in the first place if they didn’t leave themselves wide open by playing fast and loose with the rules. The campaign audit found that they had started spending before the formal start of the campaign, had borrowed money from the family firm and had accepted corporate donations – all “apparent contraventions” of the election-spending law. Though the amount by which they exceeded the spending limit seems small in the scheme of things – about $40,000 – the auditor cited dozens of violations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/doug-ford-on-the-attack-again/article8149403/

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Then why did you make the statement? Do you usually spout off bullshyte about crap you know nothing about?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm on the outside looking in (as a Prairie Boy who's never been to Ontario), but I'm
curious as to just whom the two 'residents' are that are the movers & shakers
behind this latest (is this the latest?) action regarding Rob Ford?

Who are "Adam Chaleff-Freudenthaler and Max Reed," and how do they play into
the bigger picture of this on-going soap opera out there? Just curious, is all. I'm
assuming that these two might be a bit more than just two concerned citizens.

Anyone from out that direction know anything about these two?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
No, you stated that he should be required to pay back the money.

I ended it with 'isn't it?'

So I'm not entirely sure myself, just putting out there.

Are we happy now or do you need my T4 and recent paystubs as well?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm on the outside looking in (as a Prairie Boy who's never been to Ontario), but I'm
curious as to just whom the two 'residents' are that are the movers & shakers
behind this latest (is this the latest?) action regarding Rob Ford?

Who are "Adam Chaleff-Freudenthaler and Max Reed," and how do they play into
the bigger picture of this on-going soap opera out there? Just curious, is all. I'm
assuming that these two might be a bit more than just two concerned citizens.

Anyone from out that direction know anything about these two?

Here's a little about the 2 of them. Be sure to read the comments. They are "illuminating".

Activist instigator in Mayor Ford case - TownNEWS - MyTownCrier.ca - the online home of Toronto's Town Crier Group of Community Newspapers