Harper Appoints 5 New Senators

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
PM Harper appoints 5 new senators

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has appointed five new senators to sit in the Upper Chamber, including one chosen by voters in Alberta.

Harper made the announcement in a press release Friday afternoon.

The new senators are:
  • Denise Batters, a Regina lawyer and mental-health expert whose late husband, former MP Dave Batters, committed suicide.
  • Lynn Beyak, a small business owner from Dryden, Ont., with experience in real estate, insurance and tourism.
  • Doug Black, a Calgary lawyer, as well as vice-chair and senior counsel of the law firm Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP.
  • Victor Oh, a Mississauga, Ont., entrepreneur and president of Wyford Holdings, a property development and management business.
  • David Wells, a St. John's executive who most recently served as deputy CEO of the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board.
The appointments take effect immediately, bringing the total number of Conservative Party seats to 65. The Liberal Party has 36 seats, with one senator claiming Progressive Conservative membership and two others sitting as Independents. This round of appointments leaves one vacancy.

Black was selected by voters in Alberta in a Senate consultation process last spring. Sometimes referred to as Senate elections, they are non-binding votes run in conjunction with provincial elections.

Black outpolled all other candidates in last year's provincial Senate race.

Senators are formally appointed by the Governor General on the advice of the prime minister.
All new appointees have pledged to support the government in its efforts to make the Senate more democratic and accountable, including legislation to limit the term lengths of senators, and encouraging the provinces and territories to hold a democratic process to select nominees for appointment to the Senate, according to the news release that announced the appointments.

"I look forward to working with these talented individuals in Parliament," Harper said in the release.

"Their collective experience and dedication are most welcome as our Government continues to work on addressing the needs and expectations of Canadians from coast to coast to coast."

PM Harper appoints 5 new senators - Politics - CBC News

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, at least one of them was "elected." Senate reform is one of the only issues I agree with Harper on. I think his plan on it doesnt go far enough but its better than nothing. Unfortunate that it will likely never happen.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
PM Harper appoints 5 new senators

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has appointed five new senators to sit in the Upper Chamber, including one chosen by voters in Alberta.

Harper made the announcement in a press release Friday afternoon.

The new senators are:
  • Denise Batters, a Regina lawyer and mental-health expert whose late husband, former MP Dave Batters, committed suicide.
  • Lynn Beyak, a small business owner from Dryden, Ont., with experience in real estate, insurance and tourism.
  • Doug Black, a Calgary lawyer, as well as vice-chair and senior counsel of the law firm Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP.
  • Victor Oh, a Mississauga, Ont., entrepreneur and president of Wyford Holdings, a property development and management business.
  • David Wells, a St. John's executive who most recently served as deputy CEO of the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board.
The appointments take effect immediately, bringing the total number of Conservative Party seats to 65. The Liberal Party has 36 seats, with one senator claiming Progressive Conservative membership and two others sitting as Independents. This round of appointments leaves one vacancy.PM Harper appoints 5 new senators - Politics - CBC News
With the possible exception of the small business owner, no-one useful in the list by the looks of it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't want an elected Senate period as I would like to see them just
close the door on the place, we have the House of Commons and the
GG.
The upper chamber is the ultimate patronage appointment

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I am admitting that the five Conservative Senator boot lickers will do well as long as they lick the Conservative boots at the PMO .

No you didn't.. You agreed that the Liberals and their supporters are syphilitic and rabid mongrels

The Liberal leadership vote is today at Ontario Liberal News | Ontario Liberal Party enjoy

Oh, I will... I love the Stooges