Votes: 5 55.6%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I know I'm a white guy, but here's what think we need to do.

I think that all elected Chiefs should be appointed as MP's under the party of their choosing and sit as a representative of their constituents in the House of Commons. This would foster cooperation, promote transparency and give FN People a stronger voice in this country.

Thoughts.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No option for no.

A Chief sitting as an MP, in my opinion, would be giving up sovereignty.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No option for no.

'Are you insane?' would count as a 'No.'

A Chief sitting as an MP would be representing the people in his riding. It would give them a legitimate voice in Ottawa. He could still hold the position of Chief, but this gives him a seat. Heck they could form a First Nations Party.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A Chief from a Tribal Council.

SK has 70+ Rezes which are part of 9 Tribal Councils.

70+ Chiefs/MPs from 1 Province is over the top representation for the 110,000 people in SK.

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
So 630 Native MP's to represent 500000 Canadians.
And then 308 MP's to represent the other 36 million Canadians.
Bad bad idea.

How about a permanent elected seat in the House of Commons and another permanent elected seat as a Senator.

As to Federal constituencies, if the riding has a high percentage of First Nations than electing a Native MP should follow democratically.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
As to Federal constituencies, if the riding has a high percentage of First Nations than electing a Native MP should follow democratically.

Well, it has. There are native MPs and Senators. Not many though.

As has been pointed out there are way too many chiefs to put into the HOC. There is probably a decent compromise though. Have a few of the senior ones in perhaps.

Perhaps but sovereignty doesnt seem to be working out for them.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
So 630 Native MP's to represent 500000 Canadians.
And then 308 MP's to represent the other 36 million Canadians.
Bad bad idea.

How about a permanent elected seat in the House of Commons and another permanent elected seat as a Senator.

Personally I think that the Natives should start their own Party and run. It would go a long way to finding a resolution to the present quagmire we find ourselves in. Perhaps every chief is too much, but a working government within FN would be an effective avenue for dispute and bind FN leaders to a set code of ethics.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I think that all elected Chiefs should be appointed as MP's under the party of their choosing and sit as a representative of their constituents in the House of Commons. This would foster cooperation, promote transparency and give FN People a stronger voice in this country.

Thoughts.

First Peoples National Party of Canada

They have a good idea too:

"The Vision of the FPNP is to:
- Promote the implementing of compulsory Indigenous Studies courses for Graduation in High School and University. Without education reforms we can not move forward as a nation.

- Abolish the Senate and replaced with an equal but second house, the First Nations House / Gimaa-gamig (First Nations elected representatives for First Nations Peoples of Canada) in the House of Commons equal to that of the present parliament."

I don't know if I agree with the ideas above, but they have some merit.

Well, it has. There are native MPs and Senators. Not many though.

But native canadian voters are so outnumbered it risks becoming tyranny of the ethnic majority. Just look to Official Bilingualism for proof of that.

No option for no.

giving up sovereignty is not always a bad option if it's fair. After Indonesian independance, the former dutch colonies chose, instead of going back to their separate little nations, to form a united Indonesia. However, they ensured all were treated fairly. If giving up sovereignty meant a more equitable Canada, many First Nations might go for it. Question is, would English and French Canadians be willing to give up their privileges for this to happen?

We all want to take away their sovereignty on condition that they assimilate, that they become apples so to speak. What kind of a deal is that?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I live in a grey bungalow.

I can get you the blue prints for this... E-Z Tower designs... Comes in grey as well!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Thoughts.

Appointed??? I think not. Are you looking for another Senate??? A Senate with an agenda to fracture our nation into warring factions??? Let them stand for election like everyone else. If they have a platform that represents everyone they will get the votes. If they get the votes, they get a seat.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Appointed??? I think not. Are you looking for another Senate??? A Senate with an agenda to fracture our nation into warring factions??? Let them stand for election like everyone else. If they have a platform that represents everyone they will get the votes. If they get the votes, they get a seat.

You have to realise though that not all FN have a 'republican system of government. Some have a inheritance-based monarchic one and are prepared to defend it just as many English Canadians defend the monarchy. To ask them to abandon that would be the same as asking us to abandon our monarchy. Same idea.

That said, some FN have had a democratic system even before we arrived on the scene, such as the Six Nations Confederacy.

But agian, in the end is that one nation not impose their will on others, and let's remember the English and French are nations in Canada too; the main difference being that the English and French nations have the power to make themselves the tyranny of the majority at will, and we have done so to a degree.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You have to realise though that not all FN have a 'republican system of government. Some have a inheritance-based monarchic one and are prepared to defend it just as many English Canadians defend the monarchy. To ask them to abandon that would be the same as asking us to abandon our monarchy. Same idea.

That said, some FN have had a democratic system even before we arrived on the scene, such as the Six Nations Confederacy.

But agian, in the end is that one nation not impose their will on others, and let's remember the English and French are nations in Canada too; the main difference being that the English and French nations have the power to make themselves the tyranny of the majority at will, and we have done so to a degree.

If we were a tyranny of the majority (another description of democracy) we wouldn't even be listening to the natives. We would just lay down the law and that would be that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If we were a tyranny of the majority (another description of democracy) we wouldn't even be listening to the natives. We would just lay down the law and that would be that.
The Indian Act, lol.

I love it when you expose how little you know, lol.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Thoughts.

Do you know how much MPs are paid? We can't afford to pay 5000 FN chiefs MP salaries. How about we
keep all the ridings as they are and elect FN members where they have a majority...