Premier Alison Redford under investigation by ethics commissioner

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Shocking.

Premier Alison Redford under investigation by ethics commissioner

One month after a scandal-plagued sitting of the legislature adjourned, Premier Alison Redford is the focus of an investigation by the province’s ethics commissioner into allegations she awarded part of a $10 billion lawsuit against Big Tobacco to her ex-husband’s law firm in 2011 while justice minister.

The alleged conflict of interest dominated the end of the fall sitting in December, where Redford denied any wrongdoing in the awarding of the litigation contract to a consortium of law firms that included her ex-husband Robert Hawkes’ firm.

“It has been widely publicized that Mr. Hawkes was Ms. Redford’s transition team leader after she won the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta and became premier,” Sherman said in the letter to Wilkinson.

“This is an extremely troubling revelation that clearly puts Ms. Redford in a potential conflict of interest.”

Wilkinson will now investigate whether Alison Redford violated Section 2 of the Alberta Conflicts of Interest Act which deals with decisions made by members of the legislature that knowingly further the interests of the member or a person directly associated with the member.

“The evidence in this case is clear,” said Wildrose justice critic Shayne Saskiw. “The decision to award the contract to a firm with strong political and personal ties was primarily hers.”

The Wildrose has repeatedly requested Redford and the governing PCs disclose the details around the bidding process, the contingency fees agreed upon and to prove that the bid was the lowest tendered.

“Taxpayers are in the dark on whether or not they received the best deal,” Saskiw said. “We hope that proper sanctions are handed out for any wrongdoing and that all litigation activity for this case is suspended and the contract appropriately re-tendered.”

Premier Alison Redford under investigation by ethics commissioner - Beacon News

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
So do you insinuate a divorce of convenience here? As in they broke up for financial gain?

I suppose it could happen.

:roll:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The Wild Rose, hived off the Conservatives, are engaged in an internecine battle with their fellow travellers.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all leftie politicians are not involved in this. Te Conservatives are not lefties
The Wild Rose is a right wing organization that is most unreasonable in modern
society.
I watched the wrap up of the fall session on TV and the whole thing looked to me
like a frantic effort on the part of Wild Rose to appear relevant. Most of this was
dealt with in the public forum and reasons given why the contract was awarded to
who it was awarded too.
I don't feel there was an attempt by Redford to give something blatantly to friends,
in fact from her personal standpoint I don't believe she exercised serious interference
either.
Lord knows I am not all that conservative in the mains stream, however I have a lot of
respect for her as a Provincial Premier and leader in Western Canada. As for Wild Rose,
I have no respect for them at all. I will be charitable, I view them as dysfunctional right
wing folks who are akin the the Tea Party People in America.