Lower inflation, soft GDP points to weakness in Canadian economy

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Lower inflation, soft GDP points to weakness in Canadian economy

OTTAWA - Canada's economy is displaying fresh symptoms of a slowdown, with data released Friday showing inflation falling to the lowest level in three years and output barely growing.

Statistics Canada's consumer price index fell four-tenths of a point to 0.8 per cent in November — the lowest since October 2009, when the country was just emerging from a deep slump.

Meanwhile, the economy grew by a minimal 0.1 per cent after a flat month in September and 0.1 per cent contraction in August. Over the past three months, Canada's economy has essentially not grown.

The Canadian dollar was down about half a cent Friday afternoon, although it had been even lower in the morning. The Toronto stock market was little changed.

A loss in U.S. growth would also rebound on Canada, which is experiencing problems of its own, including a cooling housing market and high consumer debt.

"Our bearish call a year ago for moderate to weak GDP growth, subdued inflation and prolonged low interest rates is looking prescient now," said David Madani, an analyst with Capital Economics in Toronto.

He says he expects the Canadian economy to grow at only one per cent next year.

That's about half the consensus forecast.

Lower inflation, soft GDP points to weakness in Canadian economy - Winnipeg Free Press

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
It's the fact that we aren't growing even with low inflation.

Thanks Steve.

- Yes, if only we had that hero of yours and the rest of the lunatic left wing fringe who really believe that you can drink yourself sober and spend yourself rich and that a dollar in government bureucrats' hands is a dollar better and more productively spent than a dollar in private entrepreneurs' hands and gthat a total amateur with no executive or financial or economic or and other relevant experience can really start at the top and head up the executive branch of the US government and that the team of mugs, thugs and slugs who brought about the ****hole and cesspool of Chcago then the Canadian economy would really be in great shape in terms of economic and employment growth and debt to DGP ratio and unemployment and bankruptcy rates and housing values and average wealth of Canadians vs Americans, etc.

- Oh, wait a moment, we already are in great shape compared with the Obamination next door to us.

- Thanks indeed Steve. You do make a significant positive difference for Canada and our economy that is not lost among thinking Canadians as opposed to the left wing troughers waiting for the free phones, condoms and BC pills that got BO back in south of the border among the moron set.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder what the economy would look like if SK and AB had the 250,000 skilled people needed ASAP? Why are we going to have to rely on immigration when there are skilled people in Canada to fill those jobs and another 250,000 to support the skilled people and their families?

The rest of Canada isn't hungry enough?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wonder what the economy would look like if SK and AB had the 250,000 skilled people needed ASAP? Why are we going to have to rely on immigration when there are skilled people in Canada to fill those jobs and another 250,000 to support the skilled people and their families?

That would probable be a bad thing until the assorted freeloaders and nimby's/nopes get out of the way so we can build the infrastructure necessary to carry these goods to world markets. Being forced by the lunatic left to depend on a precarious and fickle US market is hurting employment and economic growth in Canada.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

The fact is we don't have the skilled people required - thus the shortage!! You know, everyone who has pursued a seondary education thought University was the way to go - the "trades" were too - oh, I dunno, beneath them?? So now, we're paying the piper. University grads who can't find work because their "Fine Arts" degree doesn't really give them skills in anything and a large demand for skilled trades. We shoulda seen it coming....

JMHO

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The fact is we don't have the skilled people required - thus the shortage!! You know, everyone who has pursued a seondary education thought University was the way to go - the "trades" were too - oh, I dunno, beneath them?? So now, we're paying the piper. University grads who can't find work because their "Fine Arts" degree doesn't really give them skills in anything and a large demand for skilled trades. We shoulda seen it coming....

JMHO

Many of us did. It was the academic elite that either didn't or ignored the signs. One of the problems with spending too much time in school. Lack of vision.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The reason you don't have skilled workers anymore is because a number of more
conservative governments eliminated the skilled worker training programs for our
youth instead they want to bring in cheap labour from off shore and give them the
incentives they should have given our children.
Someone mentioned entitlements, well they are not really entitlements they were
bought and paid for for the most part from payroll taxes when I for one was younger.
If entitlement means do I want the benefits I paid for "Damn right I do"
We wonder why we are having trouble, all those free trade deals that benefit the third
world at our expense. If we are going to have free trade it should be with countries
that have similar standards of living and other workplace rules. No more having our
companies going off shore for cheap labour and skirting environmental and labour laws
that our patriotic stay come companies have to compete with.
I say patriotic because there are many responsible companies that do stay here and
provide jobs and benefits and they don't have to be legislated to do it. It is time for a
dose of real protectionism as it were. All or most product leaving Canada should be
value added. Tax incentives should be given to companies that keep most of their
manufacturing here. This would include fuel costs and electrical rates.
In addition we could provide lower tax rates for factories that settle here instead of
in the third world.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

JMHO
We do indeed have skilled people but they have pianos tied to their asses and there are oodles of jobs here for the artsy fartsy types too but apparently they are more fartsy than artsy.

I stopped reading here... You just can't help yourself, can you?
Dippers in SK have been pushing apprenticeship for years and so have the Conservatives.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Dippers in SK have been pushing apprenticeship for years and so have the Conservatives.

I would imagine that all parties, regardless of political stripe, will push whatever agenda will benefit their communities.

It's sad that people take such enormous steps to blindly feed their hobby-horse at every opportunity regardless of how silly the statement is

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
That would probable be a bad thing until the assorted freeloaders and nimby's/nopes get out of the way so we can build the infrastructure necessary to carry these goods to world markets. Being forced by the lunatic left to depend on a precarious and fickle US market is hurting employment and economic growth in Canada.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tax, but I thought the righteous right was in charge, with a majority and everything. For a number of years now.

All we lefties can do is yell encouragement from the sidelines in our "free speech areas"

As in "Go Stevie Go"..........and the like.

There are better entitlements in AB and SK than elsewhere. Somebody should inform them of that.

There are indeed, Petros.

But some have well paying, full time, non union jobs, here in the East . They are close to family and friends and don't want to move.

Living out of ones truck or in a utility trailer during an AB or SK winter might not appeal to everyone.

If I was young and single. {thank god I'm not. wouldn't want to go through that again} I'd be out there like a shot, spend some years and get richer.

C'est le guerre.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would imagine that all parties, regardless of political stripe, will push whatever agenda will benefit their communities.

It's sad that people take such enormous steps to blindly feed their hobby-horse at every opportunity regardless of how silly the statement is

Political sports fans. I guess I'm just a bandwagon jumper by supporting successful policies regardless of who is band leader.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
I stopped reading here... You just can't help yourself, can you?

- CM ... As you probably saw, Damnedgrumpy on the American forum just called management trainee and campaigner-in-chief Barack 'Breaking The Bank" Obama the greatest president in the history of the USA. Even for a chronic left wing BSer like Grumpy this is a shocking example of blatant BS that even most lefties would have trouble endorsing. As to his usual blather, you also may notice that I frequently cut through the obfuscations and exaggerations and hyperbole and spins and ask him THE ONE KEY QUESTION THAT WILL BLOW HIS RIDICULOUS RANT AND ARGUMENT OF THE DAY RIGHT OUT OF THE WATER. Then, as you would undoubtedly notice, he makes a hasty exit and never even tries to answer my crunch question. I suspect Damnedgrumpy is not a stupid fellow at all but it is hard if not impossible to change the debating habits that are ingrained in a person through years of union delusions, deceptions and highjinks.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I are a skilled people looking for money, however I unnerstan some work will be required. I is an industrial mechanik with interplanetary papers. I can't come to SK or AB till christmess is done. I won't even speak to you for less than fifty bucks an hour. Send your offers to Dark Enterprizes PO BOX 96I616 ,42 Overthetracks Ave, Cardboardton NS.

PS. I don't actually touch tools or equipment. I require a personal staff of no less than twenty and a monthly allowance of high end cannabis. Meet me at the airport in a limo I'm the one being put off on the stretcher.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Teddy are you trying to be the best at misinformation or what? I did not say that Obama
was the best President ever. I said if you care to read, He must be the best President
ever because he has the obsessed right wing ranting continuously ever since he go elected.
People who write things like the management trainee etc sometimes are left with people
not taking them seriously. Obama has done a reasonable job in his time in office he has
not done the best job but anything he did is almost certainly better than Bush.
I am not always left either when it comes to politics but I tend to be more left than right for
the reason that lately most right wingers are too busy firing insults instead of serious
alternatives.
Am I in favour of social programs Yes but I think we have to be aware of what the costs are
down the road and ensure we have paid enough up front in the beginning to ensure there are
no shortfalls. The problem in Canada, is that successive Liberal and Conservative governments
that stole the ideas from the NDP like medicare and pensions didn't intend to use the money
for the intended purpose. Recently they stole the money from the government pension funds
to cover the shortfall in the deficit for example. People paid for those pensions through deductions
and the government used the money to cover up its mismanagement. The problems with the
Canadian Economy are problems caused by successive free enterprise governments like the
Liberals and the Conservatives. New Democrats have not had their opportunity to make a mess
at the Federal Level yet.
If you are going to quote me, at least be accurate and understand what I said before engaging
in a rant about left wing BS.