Attawapiskat chief goes on hunger strike

Johnnny
+1
i honestly have trouble believing that most reserve members dont get free money.... Myreasoning is that i listen to all the different fellows who talk about just getting 40,000$ from the government and then seeing them drug binge it.... Land settlments i believe.... My question is why do these people portray themselves as receiving free money?
Last edited by Johnnny; Dec 27th, 2012 at 07:47 AM..Reason: spelling +morning = no difference

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

i honestly have trouble believing that most reserve members dont get free money....

You aren't alone. That's a common misconception.

Quote:

Myreasoning is that i listen to all the different fellows who talk about just getting 40,000$ from the government and then seeing them drug binge it.... Land settlments i believe....

Then it wasn't free.

Quote:

My question is why do these people portray themselves as receiving free money?

Stupidity?

Love your avatar by the way. Many thumbs up.

Johnnny
+3
thanks....

i know im not alone sometimes its frustrating to sit and listen to the few and then to have some of my replies taboo'd because of the different culture i was raised in... Although my little soapbox moment is over now.

CDNBear
+3

thanks....

Anytime.

Quote:

i know im not alone sometimes its frustrating to sit and listen to the few and then to have some of my replies taboo'd because of the different culture i was raised in...

Both my younger brothers are your typical militant Native youth. The white man is out to get them.

The older of the two is a perpetual woe is me, I can't get ahead, the man is keeping me down injin.

The younger is a screaming alcoholic that would throw down because a white guy looked at him.

I don't associate with them.

I think they're bot just messed up, and nothing I tried worked.

Quote:

Although my little soapbox moment is over now.

I've oft said you don't post enough.

petros
+1

i honestly have trouble believing that most reserve members dont get free money.... Myreasoning is that i listen to all the different fellows who talk about just getting 40,000$ from the government and then seeing them drug binge it.... Land settlments i believe.... My question is why do these people portray themselves as receiving free money?

$40K? That sounds like an "A rse Money" pay out.

Locutus
+3
The hunger artist

A surprising item appears on the official Facebook site of Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence’s hunger strike (external - login to view) near Parliament Hill.

A hunger strike with a bank account?

The hunger strike is just about the most morally serious activity a protester can undertake. The medical profession has given a lot of thought to the “rules” of hunger strikes, which are usually undertaken by imprisoned persons. The experts pay particularly close attention to those in which the striker explicitly expresses the intention of fasting till death unless her demands are met, which is the case with Chief Spence. In such an instance, it’s impossible to predict when the striker will lose the power to make a free choice as she gets sicker. Her intentions must be clear, the chain of decision-making authority must be explicit and undivided, and there must be no suggestion of undue influence from advisers and friends.

more

The hunger artist - Colby Cosh - Macleans.ca (external - login to view)

h/t sda

Dixie Cup
Libertarian
+6
Me thinks she'll be around for awhile yet. From what I've read, her hunger strike consists of water and "fish broth". If her fish broth is anything like my mom's, it's not only very tasty, but full of vitamins and minerals. So I doubt she's really serious about dying anytime soon.

JMO

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+2
She has no intention of dying. Just another media *****.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

A hunger strike with a bank account?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
1 - Listening (Honor Song) - John Trudell - Tribal Voices.wmv - YouTube (external - login to view)

Locutus
+4
Where Is The Money Going On First Nations Reserves? | A Bear's Rant (external - login to view)

And...from the sda comments:

Guess who owns shares in Enbridge, Pembina Pipeline Corp., Exxon, Cnooc (!), Halliburton, Canadian Oil Sands Trust, Occidental Petroleum, and what appears to be every natural resource company under the sun?

www.attawapiskat.org/wp-conte...skat-Trust.pdf (external - login to view)

(external - login to view)
Attawapiskat Trust fund, that's who. They profit from the oil sands while concern trolling about the environment - nice racket.

The blockade that is costing CN $5 million a day isn't helping the portfolio either since they own shares in CN too.

#Hashtag Of The Entitlement Generation - Small Dead Animals (external - login to view)

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

What I've found very telling in this whole saga is, if the issue was as has been forwarded by Specner and her supporters, been the Indian Act.

Then why not let the third party management audit take place.

It would have publicly vindicated the Band.

Unless of course the audit finds the wrong answers....

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

That is the logical conclusion. When an audit is finally done expect a lot of missing files.

CDNBear
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Positive or negative, I'd like honest answers.

I believe an independent audit would have given us that.

Where Is The Money Going On First Nations Reserves? | A Bear's Rant (external - login to view)

That was intersting to say the least.

Although factual in insofar as taxes and consumption, the spin is dishonest.

Specifically in the area of fiscal imbalance, and the innuendo that the benefits are something that is being given away for free.

1, From your article...

Quote:

The annual federal budget for Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, the federal department responsible for aboriginal issues, is $7.4 billion. In other words, over and above the cost of the income and sales tax exemption; the normal Canadian services provided to aboriginal peoples like health care and the child tax benefit – Canada spends an additional $6,300 per year for every aboriginal man, woman and child in the country. (By comparison, Quebec which has a population of 8 million receives $18 billion in transfer payments or approximately $2,200 per capita)

It's mighty white of him to ignore the fact that Quebec also raises provincial taxes.

But that wouldn't make the comparison as controversial and sensational I guess.

2, From your article...

Quote:

First, Canadians pay for their healthcare and other benefits through the taxes they pay.

Status Indians pay no taxes but receive those same benefits for free.

LOL, for free, LOL. You got the land and resources, that's how we paid in advance.

Quote:

Status Indians pay no taxes but receive those same benefits for free.

Not all. I'm status, I pay taxes, I pay for our own dental and prescriptions.

I live off res. It's funny how your article acknowledges the fact that only on reserve FN's are tax exempt and receive free script. But doesn't take that into account when it's convenient for the purposes of dishonest sensationalism.

Loc, for someone who rails against dishonest and spin journalism, I find it disappointing you would post such dishonest ignorance.

Last edited by CDNBear; Dec 31st, 2012 at 08:11 AM..

Locutus
+1
To be honest, I can't recall how I came across that rant (and a rant it is on a blog rather than a journalistic column)...nor do I read every word of any link...it had something to do with Taiaiake Alfred calling Ivison a racist, then Brazeau and Edmonson started a tweetathon with so many links tossed in that I probably grabbed one that sounded post-worthy. Certainly wasn't a intentional flame as I'm as ignorant on FN issues as 99% of the members here.

CDNBear
Fair enough.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
It was a long article and even I didn't read every word. Being slow it took me a while to even realize it was just a blog.

CDNBear
Bloggers believe themselves to be journalists.

I actually agree to some extent.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1

Some of them are no less accurate or more dishonest than real journalists. Trick is figuring out which is witch.

Dixie Cup
Libertarian
Can anyone tell me how exactly Bill C45 affects the navigational waterways blah, blah, blah that is so contentious? I've quickly gone over the changes and there isn't anything major that I see. There are some "additions" to the Act and clarification as to "definitions" Along with additions, the document I read refers frequently to "existing legislation" so I'm lost as to what the complaint is. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

206. Subsection 37(2) of the Indian Act is replaced by the following:

Other transactions

(2) Except where this Act otherwise provides, lands in a reserve shall not be leased nor an interest in them granted until they have been designated under subsection 38(2) by the band for whose use and benefit in common the reserve was set apart.

R.S., c. 17 (4th Supp.), s. 3

207. (1) The portion of subsection 39(1) of the Act before paragraph (a) is replaced by the following:

Conditions — surrender

39. (1) An absolute surrender is void unless

(2) Subparagraph 39(1)(b)(ii) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(ii) at a special meeting of the band called by the Minister for the purpose of considering a proposed absolute surrender, or

(3) Subsections 39(2) and (3) of the Act are replaced by the following:

Minister may call meeting or referendum

(2) If a majority of the electors of a band did not vote at a meeting or referendum called under subsection (1), the Minister may, if the proposed absolute surrender was assented to by a majority of the electors who did vote, call another meeting by giving 30 days’ notice of that other meeting or another referendum as provided in the regulations.

Assent of band

(3) If a meeting or referendum is called under subsection (2) and the proposed absolute surrender is assented to at the meeting or referendum by a majority of the electors voting, the surrender is deemed, for the purposes of this section, to have been assented to by a majority of the electors of the band.

R.S., c. 17 (4th Supp.), s. 4

208. Section 40 of the Act is replaced by the following:

Conditions — designation

39.1 A designation is valid if it is made to Her Majesty, is assented to by a majority of the electors of the band voting at a referendum held in accordance with the regulations, is recommended to the Minister by the council of the band and is accepted by the Minister.

Certification — surrender

40. A proposed absolute surrender that is assented to by the band in accordance with section 39 shall be certified on oath by the superintendent or other officer who attended the meeting and by the chief or a member of the council of the band and then submitted to the Governor in Council for acceptance or refusal.

Certification — designation

40.1 (1) A proposed designation that is assented to in accordance with section 39.1 shall be certified on oath by an officer of the Department and by the chief or a member of the council of the band.

Ministerial decision

(2) On the recommendation of the council of the band, the proposed designation shall be submitted to the Minister who may accept or reject it.

And here, I think, is where there is an objection to "Treaty Rights????" No where do I read here that decisions are being taken out of aboriginal hands, but hey, I could be wrong.

Oops, thought there'd be a break between my first post and 2nd. Sorry!

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3

To be honest, I can't recall how I came across that rant (and a rant it is on a blog rather than a journalistic column)...nor do I read every word of any link...it had something to do with Taiaiake Alfred calling Ivison a racist, then Brazeau and Edmonson started a tweetathon with so many links tossed in that I probably grabbed one that sounded post-worthy. Certainly wasn't a intentional flame as I'm as ignorant on FN issues as 99% of the members here.

At least when it comes from a blog it is understood from the jump that it is opinion, and can be taken as such, as opposed to much of what get's written and published under the guise of journalism.

There are a lot of blogs out there where there are insightful, thought provoking and well written op eds that are more worthy of providing food for thought than many of the published dailies provide.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+2
I think all Treaties should be reviewed and updated in clear terms and anyone who has ACTUALLY lost anything be compensated. It's time to put yesterday behind us all.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie CupView Post

Can anyone tell me how exactly Bill C45 affects the navigational waterways blah, blah, blah that is so contentious? I've quickly gone over the changes and there isn't anything major that I see. There are some "additions" to the Act and clarification as to "definitions" Along with additions, the document I read refers frequently to "existing legislation" so I'm lost as to what the complaint is. Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Here is an example of water control that has been problematic for both sides of the story:

Agreement to replenish water level at Crooked Lake

REGINA (SNN) -- After three years of gazing at mud flats as Crooked Lake's water level dropped, cottage owners are happy to hear the water level will soon be returning to normal.

By The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon)June 14, 2006

REGINA (SNN) -- After three years of gazing at mud flats as Crooked Lake's water level dropped, cottage owners are happy to hear the water level will soon be returning to normal.

"It's a very exciting day for the Friends of the Qu'Appelle that we have a twoyear interim agreement for Crooked Lake. Now we'll be able to launch our boats and use our boat launches," said cottage owner Randy Durovick, who noted the lake level is expected to rise to 456 metres above sea level this summer, up to one metre higher than the previous three years.

On Monday, Sakimay and Cowessess First Nations signed interim agreements with the federal and provincial governments allowing the Crooked Lake watercontrol structure to operate in 2006 and 2007.

Sakimay received $340,000 and Cowessess $196,000 under the agreement -- a cost shared by the two governments.

Cottage owners, who felt they were caught in the middle of the land claim dispute, now have a better understanding of the issues that are on the table, said Durovick, the Friends of the Qu'Appelle board chair.

"Our position was that we wanted to have an interim agreement in place in 2006 so that there was no further damage to the environment, the fish and their habitat while discussions were ongoing," he said.

Chief federal negotiator Si Halyk said Tuesday the agreement will permit the water-control structure to be operated while negotiations continue toward finding workable, long-term solutions for the future operation of dams along the Qu'Appelle River.

"Before a settlement could be reached there had to be a rapport and trust established amongst the parties and that takes time," said Halyk, who brokered the deal.

In 1942, the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration (PFRA) built water-control structures on Echo, Crooked and Round lakes without the consent of the Cowessess, Sakimay, Pasqua, Muscowpetung, Ochapowace and Kahkewistahaw First Nations, whose lands were flooded by the elevated lake levels.

In 1998, the Indian Claims Commission recommended the federal government either remove the structures on the lakes or negotiate -- whether by surrender or expropriation -- the interests in the land it requires for flooding purposes from all six reserves and compensate the bands for past flood damages.

In 2003, after 61 years of trying to obtain compensation, local First Nations brought the matter to a head by refusing to allow federal PFRA staff on their lands to install stop logs in the structures to maintain summer lake levels.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation

Yeah, some of them actually do write journals. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I think all Treaties should be reviewed and updated in clear terms and anyone who has ACTUALLY lost anything be compensated. It's time to put yesterday behind us all.

uhoh. That'd put an awful lot of white folks and other foreigners out. No more of the best agricultural and hunting lands for them. I think it'd virtually make natives and the rest of us swap situations.
Relax, just kind of half kidding.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Idle No More Courtenay BC - YouTube (external - login to view)!

Bremusa
From what I can make of it,there is a huge gap growing on reserves between the haves and the have not.

Chiefs and Council members want for nothing on most reserves.At the same time the children are sniffing gasoline to get high on and clean water is a luxury for some.

Squalor beyond anything seen in our cities or suburbs,are strewn along roads and the council fly away for the winter.
Don't tell me it isn't so.
These people are being raped from all sides .

I've never seen pictures of the state of some of the housing on reserves posted on the front pages of newspapers.
Just saying. There voice is a whisper at most.

What ever one may say about this woman she is doing something and drawing enough attention that Nelly Furtado gave a shout out to "The Idle No More" at last night's Niagara Falls Bash.

To the naysayers of her method, would you say the same thing about Gandhi?

Bermusa

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by BremusaView Post

From what I can make of it,there is a huge gap growing on reserves between the haves and the have not.

Chiefs and Council members want for nothing on most reserves.At the same time the children are sniffing gasoline to get high on and clean water is a luxury for some.

Squalor beyond anything seen in our cities or suburbs,are strewn along roads and the council fly away for the winter.
Don't tell me it isn't so.
These people are being raped from all sides .

I've never seen pictures of the state of some of the housing on reserves posted on the front pages of newspapers.
Just saying. There voice is a whisper at most.

What ever one may say about this woman she is doing something and drawing enough attention that Nelly Furtado gave a shout out to "The Idle No More" at last night's Niagara Falls Bash.

Bermusa

Not all reserves are bad. But a friend of mine (Metis) was visiting a reserve on Vancouver Island and it was a dump. She asked one of the elders why they didn't clean it up. He told her that they used to have a very nice reserve with well kept cottages and white picket fences. Then the government took it away from them and gave them this place, So they decided if they kept the place looking like a dump, the government wouldn't want it and take it away from them.
Last edited by Cliffy; Jan 1st, 2013 at 11:29 PM..

petros
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by BremusaView Post

Bermusa

Wow, an endorsement from Smelly Furtaco.

There is no comparing Theresa Spence to Ghandi. Ghandi wasn't a self-serving fraud. Spence is trying to pull the buffalo hide over everyone's eyes while pimping the core of Idle No More for her own benefit and has no right to associate herslf with the movement.

Idle No More has some very valid issues that need to be addressed but will be unlikely find solutions unless there is a coast to coast to coast platform that goes beyond making noise, blocking traffic by a bunch of yutzes with chips on their shoulders.

My buddy said it best when I asked if he was gonig to go to one of the rallies, "f*ck that, I have a business to run and a mortgage to pay or I will end up on the rez crying in my bullet soup and blaming somebody else for me not getting off my *** and taking care of my family. If they want me to show up they should have their rallies in the evening when I'm off of work."

That surprised me because he is very active in getting the youth motivated and involved in preserving the culture.

bill barilko
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

.....a friend of mine (Metis) was visiting a reserve on Vancouver Island and it was a dump. She asked one of the elders why they didn't clean it up. He told her that they used to have a very nice reserve with well kept cottages and white picket fences. Then the government took it away from them and gave them this place, So they decided if they kept the place looking like a dump, the government wouldn't want it and take it away from them.

Apocryphal story-IOW a load of ancient Bee Ess at least as old as Cliffy himself.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Apocryphal story-IOW a load of ancient Bee Ess at least as old as Cliffy himself.

Are you saying the government has not taken land from BC bands in the past? Me thinks you are ill informed, dude. There are very few wars or treaties here so basically we stole all their land.