Canadian immigration reforms

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I guess dumpthemonarchy must be predisposed doing something else to have missed this.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenny recently announced changes to our immigration program, specifically to bring in more with skilled trades. Canada is actually in absolute terms projected to have the fourth largest construction industry behind only the US, China, and India. With our demographic changes there are realities that needed to be addressed, and I think these changes will be positive.

It used to be that someone with a PhD would get preferred treatment by Immigration Canada, even if they might have difficulty finding work in their field. Now the changes will mean that tradespeople with jobs waiting for them will have a different route of access to citizenship.

To qualify: applicants will must meet the following four requirements:
  • They must have an offer of employment in Canada or a certificate of qualification from a province or territory to ensure that applicants are “job ready” upon arrival;
  • They must meet a basic language requirement;
  • They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson, to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman; and
  • They must have the skills and experience that match those set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC B) system, showing that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation
With a critical shortage in trades people for the foreseeable future, this seems like a very good step in the right direction. While education is in the hands of the provinces, it would be probably a good idea also to get young people interested in trades at an earlier age, and develop co-op programs for students who see the opportunities in having a trade. Skills development in high school would be beneficial.

Other thoughts or concerns?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Since their destination is the Prairies , a parka, boots, toque and mittens should have been a pre-entry requirment as well.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
...They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson, to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman; and....

That reads strangely to me. Very few (none that I'm aware of) Journeymen acheive
that status in a minimum of two years.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That reads strangely to me. Very few (none that I'm aware of) Journeymen acheive

I think you're reading it wrong. I think they're calling a skilled trades person a journeyman, and that they must have had their journeyman for at least two working years to be qualified under this program. None of my friends or relatives had their red seal in two years or less, that's for sure.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think you're reading it wrong. I think they're calling a skilled trades person a journeyman, and that they must have had their journeyman for at least two working years to be qualified under this program. None of my friends or relatives had their red seal in two years or less, that's for sure.
Nope. I heard Kenny give the speech.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

In Alberta, there are programs (from NAIT, SAIT and a couple other schools) where you can do all the schooling for a trade in one lump session and then have to spend at least 2 years essentially as an apprentice to a journeyman to get a ticket. Normal apprenticeship (again in Alberta) to obtain journeyman status is 3 or 4 years (depending on the trade) with a 6-8 week school session each year.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No to what Petros? Commas people, commas...

They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson COMMA to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman

That doesn't mean they need to complete their apprenticeship in two years....that is insane. Nobody does that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No to what Petros? Commas people, commas...

They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson COMMA to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman

That doesn't mean they need to complete their apprenticeship in two years....that is insane. Nobody does that.

Instead, the new program will consider applicants who have a job offer in Canada, have a basic proficiency in English or French, can prove they have experience in an in-demand trade. They must also show that their occupation qualifies as a trade under federal regulations.

The need for skilled tradespeople is most dire in Alberta, where the province estimates that it will need an additional 115,000 skilled tradesworkers over the next 10 years.
Any questions? Charts or graphs?

Listen to Kenny in the interviews and speech..right from his mouth straight to your ears.

New federal immigration program to fill gap in skilled trades | CTV News

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[QUOTE

Immigration
Poland
Canada
Foreigners – so the bigoted adage goes – are "coming over here and stealing our jobs". Now it seems they are coming over here and stealing our immigrants. The Canadian government is courting Polish migrants living in Britain, in an attempt to persuade them to abandon our rainy shores in favour of a new life in Canada.

Canada is facing a shortage of labour, particularly in construction and transport, and hopes that Polish migrants from Britain will be easier to integrate than people coming directly from Poland because they already speak English. Canada's Immigration minister called a meeting with representatives of the Polish community at the Canadian High Commission in London last month, to discuss ways that Poles living in the UK could be poached. Canada plans to set up a trade show in Manchester next year, promoting the country's existing Polish community, and tempting the UK's Poles to move there.

On an official visit to England and Ireland, Jason Kenney boasted to Polish migrants: "Many of you would find a better job in Canada." He added that Canada also had a better economy, better social mobility and a lower cost of living than the UK.

In a speech to Polish expats in Ireland, Mr Kenney said: "The government of Canada is committed to building an immigration system that actively recruits talent rather than passively processing all applications that we receive. There are approximately 200,000 Poles living in Ireland, many with highly advanced skills in the trades needed in Canada's labour market."

There are already historical links between Poland and Canada, with around a million Canadians claiming Polish ancestry.

Włodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, chairman of the UK Federation of Poles, said: "I got a call from someone in the Canadian ministry who said they were trying to make it easier for people to come and work in Canada, and arranged the meeting. He told me there is a large Polish community in Canada already and he's trying to make it easier for people to move. He's particularly keen on Polish people who have English skills.

"He said the Canadian economy was stronger than others since the banking sector did not invest in housing; and, because the economy is continuing to expand, they are looking for labour – for skilled workers for larger companies."

Bob Kozak, president of the Polish Society in Vancouver, said: "Canada is advertising an open door for Polish migrants and skilled workers. The Polish community here is huge, so it would be easy for people to settle in."

A spokesman for the Canadian government said: "Canada is building a fast and flexible economic immigration system whose primary focus is on meeting Canada's labour market needs. The government is exploring approaches to developing a pool of skilled workers who are ready to begin employment here."

Canada, he said, is facing shortages of workers in certain skilled trades. "Immigrants can help meet this need. There are over 200 trades, which generally fall under four main categories: construction, transportation, manufacturing and service. Forty to 50 per cent of skilled trade workers," he added, "are within the construction sector."

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Jason Kenney to relaunch skilled worker immigration program in May

Photograph by: Chris Wattie, REUTERS , Postmedia News
OTTAWA – The federal government will reopen its largest immigration program with a new focus on accepting skilled workers who are young and can speak either English or French, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced Wednesday.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program was frozen in June pending changes to the points grid used to select newcomers.

The government is seeking to make youth and language proficiency a bigger priority for both principal applicants and their spouses.

Under the new system, the government will also award more points for Canadian work experience and would-be newcomers will have to have their education credentials assessed before arriving in Canada.

“The new Federal Skilled Worker Program criteria will ensure Canada is selecting the skilled immigrants our economy needs, who are the most likely to succeed and fully realize their potential in Canada,” Kenney said in a statement.

“For too long, too many immigrants to Canada have experienced underemployment and unemployment, and this has been detrimental to these newcomers and to the Canadian economy. Our transformational changes to the (program) will help ensure that skilled newcomers are able to contribute their skills fully to the economy as soon as possible. This is good for newcomers, good for the economy, and good for all Canadians.”

The freeze has also allowed the government to get a grip on about 100,000 backlogged skilled worker applications that remained after some 280,000 pre-2008 applications from skilled workers and their dependents were eliminated in the last budget.

The government is refunding $130 million in application fees as part of an ongoing process. The plan, however, is being challenged in court.

That said, between the moratorium on new federal skilled worker applications and the budget decision to toss old applications, the government indicated last month that the remaining backlog would be eliminated by 2014, about three years ahead of schedule.

When the program relaunches May 4, 2013, it’s expected that new applications will be processed within months rather than years, Kenney said, adding he will also cap the number of applications the government will accept annually to avoid more backlogs in the future.

tcohen(at)postmedia.com

Read more: Jason Kenney to relaunch skilled worker immigration program in May

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess dumpthemonarchy must be predisposed doing something else to have missed this.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenny recently announced changes to our immigration program, specifically to bring in more with skilled trades. Canada is actually in absolute terms projected to have the fourth largest construction industry behind only the US, China, and India. With our demographic changes there are realities that needed to be addressed, and I think these changes will be positive.

It used to be that someone with a PhD would get preferred treatment by Immigration Canada, even if they might have difficulty finding work in their field. Now the changes will mean that tradespeople with jobs waiting for them will have a different route of access to citizenship.

To qualify: applicants will must meet the following four requirements:
  • They must have an offer of employment in Canada or a certificate of qualification from a province or territory to ensure that applicants are “job ready” upon arrival;
  • They must meet a basic language requirement;
  • They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson, to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman; and
  • They must have the skills and experience that match those set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC B) system, showing that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation
With a critical shortage in trades people for the foreseeable future, this seems like a very good step in the right direction. While education is in the hands of the provinces, it would be probably a good idea also to get young people interested in trades at an earlier age, and develop co-op programs for students who see the opportunities in having a trade. Skills development in high school would be beneficial.

Other thoughts or concerns?
Should have been done a decade or so ago. I remember a few times back then reading about predictions that Canada will need more skilled tradespeople. It was lost on gov't, though. Gov'ts seem to recognize problems in their later stages and then sit on them for years, then ponder them for years, before finally doing something about them.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Should have been done a decade or so ago. I remember a few times back then reading about predictions that Canada will need more skilled tradespeople. It was lost on gov't, though. Gov'ts seem to recognize problems in their later stages and then sit on them for years, then ponder them for years, before finally doing something about them.
Should have been done a decade or so ago.Agree , but decades ago we had a government without any substance .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Few gov'ts have substance. Past gov'ts have been complacent and happy just tending to the status quo. One thing I like about Harpy's gov't is that it actually seems interested in going past keeping things at status quo.
Yeap ,Harper does what he promised he'll do !

seems interested in going past keeping things at status quo.

Great , hope he'll dismental the private banks .

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am beginning to think there should be other restrictions as well for immigration to this
country. Immigrants must believe in the concept that peoples rights come before religion
and other people have rights too.
I am not in favour of allowing thousands of refugees into Canada either, the time has come
when we concentrate on the good of the nation and understand we can't solve all the world's
problems.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
[QUOTE

Immigration
Poland
Canada
Foreigners – so the bigoted adage goes – are "coming over here and stealing our jobs". Now it seems they are coming over here and stealing our immigrants. The Canadian government is courting Polish migrants living in Britain, in an attempt to persuade them to abandon our rainy shores in favour of a new life in Canada.

Canada is facing a shortage of labour, particularly in construction and transport, and hopes that Polish migrants from Britain will be easier to integrate than people coming directly from Poland because they already speak English. Canada's Immigration minister called a meeting with representatives of the Polish community at the Canadian High Commission in London last month, to discuss ways that Poles living in the UK could be poached. Canada plans to set up a trade show in Manchester next year, promoting the country's existing Polish community, and tempting the UK's Poles to move there.

On an official visit to England and Ireland, Jason Kenney boasted to Polish migrants: "Many of you would find a better job in Canada." He added that Canada also had a better economy, better social mobility and a lower cost of living than the UK.

In a speech to Polish expats in Ireland, Mr Kenney said: "The government of Canada is committed to building an immigration system that actively recruits talent rather than passively processing all applications that we receive. There are approximately 200,000 Poles living in Ireland, many with highly advanced skills in the trades needed in Canada's labour market."

There are already historical links between Poland and Canada, with around a million Canadians claiming Polish ancestry.

Włodek Mier-Jedrzejowicz, chairman of the UK Federation of Poles, said: "I got a call from someone in the Canadian ministry who said they were trying to make it easier for people to come and work in Canada, and arranged the meeting. He told me there is a large Polish community in Canada already and he's trying to make it easier for people to move. He's particularly keen on Polish people who have English skills.

"He said the Canadian economy was stronger than others since the banking sector did not invest in housing; and, because the economy is continuing to expand, they are looking for labour – for skilled workers for larger companies."

Bob Kozak, president of the Polish Society in Vancouver, said: "Canada is advertising an open door for Polish migrants and skilled workers. The Polish community here is huge, so it would be easy for people to settle in."

A spokesman for the Canadian government said: "Canada is building a fast and flexible economic immigration system whose primary focus is on meeting Canada's labour market needs. The government is exploring approaches to developing a pool of skilled workers who are ready to begin employment here."

Canada, he said, is facing shortages of workers in certain skilled trades. "Immigrants can help meet this need. There are over 200 trades, which generally fall under four main categories: construction, transportation, manufacturing and service. Forty to 50 per cent of skilled trade workers," he added, "are within the construction sector."

Economic success makes Poland destination for immigrants
By Paul Henley
BBC News
Poland is Europe's least multicultural society, but could be on the cusp of becoming a destination for a new wave of migrants.

"When I first came here, I used to be scared to go out, always looking around in case the police caught me. I lived in constant fear."
Qui's story of being an illegal immigrant will be familiar to millions all over Europe. But he has come to a country that is hardly known as a magnet for migrants - Poland.

He is from Vietnam and part of one of Poland's biggest ethnic minorities. (The link began when both countries had communism in common.)

Our son has a Polish name because we live in Poland, we love Poland and we feel tied to it”

Qui and Thiem
Vietnamese immigrants
Qui works in the clothes trade in Warsaw. And these days, he has his own market stall, a family, an apartment in a concrete high-rise block on the outskirts of Warsaw… and peace of mind.
He is legal, having benefitted from an amnesty organised, earlier this year, by a government newly-aware that its economy needs people like him.

He says it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders.

Qui and his wife Thiem met in Poland and they are proud of their new status and of their host country.
"Our son has a Polish name", they say, "because we live in Poland, we love Poland and we feel tied to it". They talk of his future university education there.

Changing capital
Venture a kilometre or two outside the historic centre of Warsaw and you do not have to look very hard to see how profoundly the capital is changing.

Paul Norris and his family emigrated from the UK
Bakalarska Market is a vast clothes, electrical and food retail centre run almost exclusively by non-Poles.

Music and voices from Vietnam, Bulgaria, Turkey, Nigeria, China, Ukraine and Belarus are proof of a nascent ethnic mix that would have been unimaginable until recently.

In the last two years, the number of applications for work permits in Poland has doubled.

Eurostat figures show only 0.1% of people in Poland were born abroad, the lowest figure in the European Union.

Before World War II, a quarter of Poland's population was Jewish, German or Ukrainian. But by 1947, virtually all those people had either been murdered or banished.

Stripped of their sovereignty as part of the Soviet bloc, Poles were left with their blood ties and their Catholicism to give them a sense of nationhood. And communism - as well as an entirely understandable persecution complex - helped keep the country in a kind of ethnic isolation.

But a long list of factors suggests the country's monoculture could soon be a thing of the past.

As most of Europe slows, economically, Poland picks up. It was the only EU member of 27 to avoid recession during the crisis of 2008-2009 and it continues to buck trends.

At the same time, it has labour shortages exacerbated by the emigration of millions of workers.

The man in charge of immigration policy, Rafal Rogala, seems well aware there are changes in store.

"I feel proud", says the Minister for Foreigners, "that Poland is a destination country for economic migrants. We understand them perfectly because, up until now, we have been the economic migrants.

"Buried deep within us is this gene of openness toward foreigners. We understand the need to improve your fate and build a life elsewhere. Now it is a question of education, of getting our people used to the idea that we are a destination country for lots of foreigners who will want to live and work here".

Economic circumstances
Mr Rogala admits that immigration might not be a matter of choice, given the economic circumstances.

He has reservations shared by western European politicians whose countries have already lived through an influx. And the British model is not one he is keen to copy.

In no way is he suggesting, he says, "that we want to become a multicultural society. Both Chancellor Merkel and President Sarkozy admitted that multi-culturalism had not passed the test".

The other end of Poland's new immigration spectrum is every bit as surprising as that represented by the family from Vietnam.

In Wroclaw, Poland's fourth city, 300km (200 miles) south-west of the capital, hundreds of expatriates from the world's richest nations came together for the Christmas party of the city's chamber of commerce.

American bankers networked with German PR officials and Danish software executives, all of whom have recently made Poland their home.
Vietnamese families make up one of Poland's biggest ethnic minorities
They compared large suburban homes, golf club membership, theatre visits and gourmet meals out.

Paul Norris arrived in Wroclaw from Surrey in England four months ago with his French wife, Catherine, and their two children. He is relishing his role as head of a fast-growing IT team at Credit Suisse's base there.

Emilie, 10, and Louis, 8, are enjoying Polish lessons at their international school.

Catherine might wrestle with the nuances of Polish life, but she, too, is glad they have made the move.
"I have met lots of really nice Polish people," she says.

"To start with, I thought they could be quite rude in shops, not particularly tolerant of foreigners. But I think they are quite private people and you have to understand them a little bit better.
"I have been reading about Polish history and they have been part of so many empires, people wanting bits of them. So it's no wonder the older people are as they are, a little defensive."

The family are discussing how long they will stay in Poland. They do not rule out the long-term.

Professor Krystyna Iglicka is an economist at the Lazarski School of Commerce and Law in Warsaw and advisor to the government on immigration.

"We need hard-working immigrants", she says, "eager to contribute to this nation. Ironically, we need exactly the same people you [the UK] got from us in the year 2004."

Just as western Europe got the ubiquitous "Polish plumber", she says, Poland got the Ukrainian nanny and the Belarusian builder.

And she hopes they are the front-runners of many more.

Thanks to its economic success, the face of Poland might never be the same again.

Hear the full report on BBC Radio 4's Crossing Continents. You can listen via the Radio 4 website or via the Crossing Continents podcast.

The Poles are leaving Poland the foreigners are moving into Poland surely POLAND won't be the same .

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yeap ,Harper does what he promised he'll do !
Not everything. I doubt any politician does.

Great , hope he'll dismental the private banks .
Why? It's because of the big 5 that Canada didn't end up in as bad a shape as most between 2007 and now.

Economic success makes Poland destination for immigrants
By Paul Henley
BBC News
Poland is Europe's least multicultural society, but could be on the cusp of becoming a destination for a new wave of migrants.

Thanks to its economic success, the face of Poland might never be the same again.

Hear the full report on BBC Radio 4's Crossing Continents. You can listen via the Radio 4 website or via the Crossing Continents podcast.

The Poles are leaving Poland the foreigners are moving into Poland surely POLAND won't be the same .
Fascinating, but what's that have to do with Canadian immigration reform?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China
The Poles are leaving Poland the foreigners are moving into Poland surely
POLAND won't be the same .

L Gilbert
Fascinating, but what's that have to do with Canadian immigration reform

Read below or above :

...........chairman of the UK Federation of Poles, said: "I got a call from someone in the Canadian ministry who said they were trying to make it easier for people to come and work in Canada, and arranged the meeting. He told me there is a large Polish community in Canada already and he's trying to make it easier for people to move. He's particularly keen on Polish people who have English skills