Canadian immigration reforms

china
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

The gov't's obviously so efficient and careful with our money, yeah.
But this is about Canadian immigration reform. Your post #17 was about Poland.

Whatever you say LG......have fun .

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
Retired Canadian Soldier, I mentioned before I am left wing on some things and
right wing on others and this one you pegged it right, I don't think we can solve
all the worlds problems through opening the doors. I also think we should limit
the places people come from, as many do not fit into our societal way of life.
I have no problem saying it either. Oh I know we cannot generalize but in fact some
don't give a damn about democracy, the dictates of their religion come before the
rights of others and those people should not be living in a democracy with all the
advantages while they work of subverting the system for their own ends.
I do agree however that some people from these countries are not all of one faith
and they should be considered. Is that profiling, probably but the good of the
nation must come first.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Any questions? Charts or graphs?

Listen to Kenny in the interviews and speech..right from his mouth straight to your ears.

New federal immigration program to fill gap in skilled trades | CTV News

Kenny: " As long as they have two years work experience..." Nowhere does Kenney say anything about only offering this program to people who have completed their apprenticeship in two years. I don't think you were paying close attention to what you were replying to.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaView Post

Whatever you say LG......have fun .

Apparently I was right. Post #17 is irrelevant to the topic.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Kenny: " As long as they have two years work experience..." Nowhere does Kenney say anything about only offering this program to people who have completed their apprenticeship in two years. I don't think you were paying close attention to what you were replying to.

No **** Sherlock. What part of "two years experience in a trade" befuddles people?

Tonington

No **** Sherlock. What part of "two years experience in a trade" befuddles people?

You tell me. Ron was asking about interpretation because to him it sounded like the regs said to qualify the person must have received their Journeymen in two years or less, and I responded that it was two years of work experience as a skilled tradeperson, ie a journeyman, to which you said no.

So, what part of two years experience did you have problems with? Like I said, seems like you weren't paying attention to what was actually said.

CDNBear
I gotta ask...

In my trade, a Journeyman is a Red Seal trades person. That means they have at least 5000hrs of trade experience.

That being said, what's all the hoopla about 2 years experience?

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That being said, what's all the hoopla about 2 years experience?

It's just Petros having English comprehension problems with his quick fingers ready to post an inane one-liner pot-shot.

Way back at the beginning, Ron read this bullet from the news article:
  • They must have a minimum of two years of work experience as a skilled tradesperson, to ensure that the applicant has recent and relevant practice as a qualified journeyman; and
To which he interpreted it as:
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

That reads strangely to me. Very few (none that I'm aware of) Journeymen acheive
that status in a minimum of two years.

To which I said:
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I think you're reading it wrong. I think they're calling a skilled trades person a journeyman, and that they must have had their journeyman for at least two working years to be qualified under this program. None of my friends or relatives had their red seal in two years or less, that's for sure.

Durpy Pete responds to me with:

Nope. I heard Kenny give the speech.

And then he posts a link to a CTV interview where Kenney confirms exactly what I had said to Ron. Heck the regs were posted in the Canada Gazette:
Applicants to the proposed program would be required to meet four minimum requirements:
1. A qualifying offer of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration14 or a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial Apprenticeship Authority;
2. Language proficiency, as evidenced by a test from a designated language testing organization that demonstrates the applicant’s abilities in the requisite skill areas meet the threshold set by the Minister in all four language abilities (speaking, reading, writing, oral comprehension);
3. Twenty-four months of work experience (after qualification/certification in the country where the work was performed, where applicable) in the same skilled trade in the last five years; and
4.Qualifications that satisfy employment requirements as described by the NOC, except for certification and licensing requirements, which are difficult to obtain outside Canada.
Like I said, Petros wasn't reading very carefully. Maybe we should be talking about the language proficiency requirement instead of two years of work experience.

CDNBear
Gotchya, thanks.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
I support immigrants coming to Canada who will work and have usable skills. Some people just want to fill tankers and drop people into them so Canada can "help" them all. Immigration is not supposed to be a multicultural social program.

I read Poles go to England and they are called Joe the Plumber, I have the same Joe in my complex. Nice guy, great handyman, no trades papers, doesn't matter, does a great job.