More 'Merican love for Steve


Locutus
+1
#1
Golf Clap: Canada Refuses To Recognize Syrian Rebels Until They Reject Jihadism…



More of the awesomeness we’ve come to expect from Stephen Harper’s government.

Via National Post:
Canada told the Syrian opposition Tuesday it must reject extremism and embrace minorities before Ottawa will recognize its legitimacy as a successor to President Bashar Al-Assad, according to a federal official.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird explained Canada’s preconditions for official recognition at a meeting with representatives of the opposition Syrian National Coalition in Morocco on Tuesday, the official said.

“He outlined the importance of rejecting extremism, the inclusion of minorities, and the importance of the role of women in a post-Assad era,” said the official, who did not want to be named.

On Wednesday, Mr. Baird will publicly spell out those preconditions during an address before the Friends of the Syrian People meeting — a gathering of more than 100 countries in Morocco’s Marrakesh working to bolster legitimate opposition to the Assad regime.

While France, Britain, Turkey and the Gulf Cooperation Council have already recognized the newly formed Syrian National Coalition, and while the U.S. was expected to do so Wednesday, Mr. Baird was taking a more cautious approach.

Keep reading…

extra love in the comments

Golf Clap: Canada Refuses To Recognize Syrian Rebels Until They Reject Jihadism… | Weasel Zippers
 
petros
+1
#2
There is one I agree with, sort of. Under Assad Coptics and Catholics were quasi safe, under a rebel (brotherhood) leadership, they'd be toast.

Six of one, half a dozen of another.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
#3
I somewhat agree with the government on this one. I suppose if they trade one dictatorship for another there isnt much point in supporting either side.
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

....Canada told the Syrian opposition Tuesday it must reject extremism and embrace minorities before Ottawa will recognize its legitimacy as a successor to President Bashar Al-Assad, according to a federal official.


Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird explained Canada’s preconditions for official recognition at a meeting with representatives of the opposition Syrian National Coalition in Morocco on Tuesday, the official said.

“He outlined the importance of rejecting extremism, the inclusion of minorities, and the importance of the role of women in a post-Assad era,” said the official, who did not want to be named.

On Wednesday, Mr. Baird will publicly spell out those preconditions during an address before the Friends of the Syrian People meeting — a gathering of more than 100 countries in Morocco’s Marrakesh working to bolster legitimate opposition to the Assad regime.

While France, Britain, Turkey and the Gulf Cooperation Council have already recognized the newly formed Syrian National Coalition, and while the U.S. was expected to do so Wednesday, Mr. Baird was taking a more cautious approach....




I'm imagining the preconditions....hug an Israeli...eat a pack of bacon...wish someone a Merry Christmas, etc...
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

I'm imagining the preconditions....hug an Israeli...eat a pack of bacon...wish someone a Merry Christmas, etc...
[/INDENT]

lol.
 
Locutus
#6
Play more Halo.

It's the best way to judge people by. And I'm quite sure most of these men (boys) dig the game. Have some drinks, a bite and snipe some n00bs.

I'd rather see that then stiffies in tweed, nursing cognac with a good cigar in the reading room.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#7
There was not problem recognizing Israel back in 1948 and they were what today we would
call the terrorists. They were trying to overthrow the governing body of the day and seize a
large foothold in the Middle East. Today we have a group of Palestinians trying to fight for a
small piece of land in the Middle East, and they too are using weapons.
The other complicated problem is that certain groups don't formally recognize each other so
they cannot communicate and negotiate with each other. When the room fills up someone is
not there but they are the White Elephant in the room unspoken of. At some point there becomes
a room full of white elephants and nothing happens and it leads to violence and back to square
one.
Baird should go talk to China, one of the worst rights violator nations on the planet we don't
condemn them though do we? No we give them an investment toe hold in the oil sands instead.
Hypocrisy is alive and well in Ottawa
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Baird should go talk to China, one of the worst rights violator nations on the planet we don't
condemn them though do we? No we give them an investment toe hold in the oil sands instead.
Hypocrisy is alive and well in Ottawa

True enough. I liked it better when Harper was constantly criticizing China. The only reason China is so powerful economically is because people chose to do business with them.
 

Similar Threads

24
Steve Jobs: RIP
by Ocean Breeze | Oct 12th, 2011
19
King Steve
by Cobalt_Kid | Mar 18th, 2011
9
More on Steve Fonyo
by JLM | May 17th, 2010
9
no new posts