Is There A Canadian Equivalent For "Birther"?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

At this very moment, Frank Graves' polling results are being presented as evidence in a Federal Court.

In Canada.

I'm not making this up.

http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/archives/022204.html#comments

Federal Court robo-calls suit frivolous, Conservative party lawyer argues

The credibility of a key witness in a legal bid to overturn Conservative victories in six closely contested ridings came under fire Monday as hearings began into allegations of voter-suppression tactics during the last federal election.

Eight Canadians — supported by the left-leaning Council of Canadians — are challenging the results in those six ridings, alleging misleading or harassing phone calls kept some people from voting and may have affected the results.

more

Federal Court robo-calls suit frivolous, Conservative party lawyer argues - The Globe and Mail

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well Harper claims to have been born in Canada but the word is his Birth Certificate is fake and he's really from Texas..........

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well Harper claims to have been born in Canada but the word is his Birth Certificate is fake and he's really from Texas..........

To take a Canadian spin on this, depending on what Harper has done lately, it's
not so much whether Harper is a Canadian...but is he an Eastern or Western
Canadian. That's more our speed. Who can we point the finger at to claim that
Steven Harper is "more like them & less like us" at times.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We have a problem in this country. We have an elections act and there are penalties for violators.
The problem is, regardless of who is in power the laws for violators are never enforced. If there
was violations during an election and it comes home to who ever the law should be enforced.
During the 1997 election same thing, there were members of all parties that signed pledges for
special interests like the Christian Coalition, and some others on the left as well. The problem is in
a parliamentary setting it is against the elections act to sign a pledge in exchange for a vote, that is
right and many don't know that including many politicians.
At any rate I did filed a complaint and guess what, the legal department said I had a case and it was
a violation. The problem was the head dude at elections Canada decided not to act. They cited
in the National Interest. The reason? Virtually all the parties had members who signed the
pledges and the penalties would have created havoc. It is an offence that can in fact result is a
substantial fine and losing the seat, plus you can't run for a specific number of years.
I can't remember the section but its in the mid three hundreds of the act.
What is the point of having a law if no government is going to enforce it?
Oh and as for the legal opinion from Elections Canada, I still have it somewhere in a box of files.