It's not easy being a Senator

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Senate launches investigation of senators’ primary residence claims

OTTAWA — The Senate will conduct an internal audit to determine if its members are actually living in the locations they claim for expenses purposes.

The Citizen reported this week that Conservative Senator Mike Duffy and Liberal Senator Mac Harb, both longtime Ottawa residents, have each billed more than $30,000 for maintaining “secondary” homes in the city.

Senate rules allow senators to claim up to $21,000 annually in accommodation and food expenses while in the National Capital Region — away from their declared primary residences in their home provinces.

The Senate’s committee on internal economy, which sets rules for senators’ spending, announced Thursday that it has asked the Senate administration to “conduct an audit to assess whether all senators’ declarations of primary and secondary residence are supported by sufficient documentation.”
The audit will be performed by the Senate’s audit branch. It is expected to assess whether tax records, drivers’ licenses or other documentation support senators’ claims to live in their primary residences.

more

Senate launches investigation of senators

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Geez... the Canadians need a lesson from our Congress. Simply make themselves exempt from these petty audits. Laws are for the serfs.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Patrick Brazeau was everything the Conservatives were looking for — photogenic, youthful, dynamic — and in the end, too much of what they didn’t want.

Controversy. And plenty of it from his first days on Parliament Hill.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper touted the achievements of this “distinguished” Quebecer when he tapped Brazeau to join the Senate in December 2008.

He was just 34, an Algonquin from Maniwaki, Que. who was national chief of the Congress of Aboriginal People, an articulate representative for aboriginals living off-reserve.

Initially, Brazeau wanted to keep that job — and collect the six-figure salary that went with it — along with his new Senate salary of some $130,000 a year but soon gave up the congress posting.

But there was other baggage at the time too — complaints from former staffers at the congress and questions about Brazeau falling behind in child support payments.

Since then he has sparred with Liberal MP Justin Trudeau in the boxing ring and sparred with opponents on Twitter — his handle is @TheBrazman — and not always come out the winner.

He was forced to apologize after he directed a slur at Canadian Press reporter Jennifer Ditchburn after she exposed his spotty attendance record in the Senate.

And his campaign for greater “accountability, responsibility and transparency” for First Nations has also been divisive. While it has endeared him to fellow Conservatives, it’s put him at loggerheads with many in Canada’s First Nations community.

Those tensions came to a head in recent weeks as Attawapiskat chief Theresa Spence staged a lengthy liquids-only diet to bring attention put First Nations concerns.

Brazeau was skeptical of her hunger strike and took aim at Spence after an audit revealed big problems in accounting on the Attawapiskat reserve.

Kitigan Zibi Chief Gilbert Whiteduck, from near Maniwaki, slammed Brazeau’s “total lack of understanding of issues facing First Nations.

“Rather than acting responsibly, Senator Brazeau has been and continues to act in a rogue manner,” Whiteduck said in a news release.

On Thursday, Senator Lillian Dyck, a member of the Gordon First Nation in Saskatchewan, told CBC News that Brazeau had “no credibility” and called him a “laughingstock.”

more

Senator Patrick Brazeau goes from ‘distinguished’ to ‘rogue’ | Toronto Star

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I would question why any of them get to have primary and secondary residences paid for by taxpayers at all. They don't represent constituents the same as MPs do, there really is no reason for them to maintain a residence anywhere but in the National Capital Region. The bulk of the workload and responsibility takes place in Ottawa.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I would question why any of them get to have primary and secondary residences paid for by taxpayers at all. They don't represent constituents the same as MPs do, there really is no reason for them to maintain a residence anywhere but in the National Capital Region. The bulk of the workload and responsibility takes place in Ottawa.
Absolutely. If any party wants to endear itself right now, the way our hearts is to show fiscal responsibility by removing all of the political pigs from the troughs.

works for me.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well of course. Senators under our system are simply 'patronage' appointments and the biggest waste of money for no return I can think of.

Still waiting for Stevie to reform the Senate.............

Duffy’s ‘neighbours’ in P.E.I. say they haven’t seen the senator

Controversy rages over Senator Mike Duffy’s residency declaration, as P.E.I. residents say it’s obvious his cottage isn’t a year-round home.

Duffy’s ‘neighbours’ in P.E.I. say they haven’t seen the senator | Toronto Star

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Absolutely. If any party wants to endear itself right now, the way our hearts is to show fiscal responsibility by removing all of the political pigs from the troughs.

works for me.

That trough is just too big and full of goodies ...............slurp slurp..........oink oink........yep feeding time on the hill. Wheee, a freee chopper riide!!...........Oh look !!!...............GAZEBOS !!!

Geez... the Canadians need a lesson from our Congress. Simply make themselves exempt from these petty audits. Laws are for the serfs.

Seems to work for the 1%, E.S. :lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That trough is just too big and full of goodies ...............slurp slurp..........oink oink........yep feeding time on the hill. Wheee, a freee chopper riide!!...........Oh look !!!...............GAZEBOS !!!
I know what you are saying. We are in dire straights now... we have to pull ourselves out of this hole. I think no one would want everything to go to crap while they are at the helm... it is something one will never recover from. I hope, HOPE, our leaders get that and start yanking chains in. Starting here. It may be small but it makes it just a little more risky to reach for the cookie jar when you know for a certainty you will be slapped and that there are few cookies in the jar.

Before the jar was filled and no slap was going to happen.

We need to start lopping off hands... :lol:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How about adding government unions in there?
Oh FOR sure. At the top, they are just a corporation that is self serving.

I do think there was a need and corporations need other corporations to keep them in check but sometimes I wonder it it is just all one big circle jerk with us idiots caught in the middle.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
New Commemorative Pistol
Ruger is coming out with a new pistol in honor of the
Canadian Senate.
It will be named the
"The Senator."

It doesn't work and you can't fire it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
New Commemorative Pistol
Ruger is coming out with a new pistol in honor of the
Canadian Senate.
It will be named the
"The Senator."

It doesn't work and you can't fire it.

Rumor has it there is a 22 cal version coming out called the unionist. Has the same problems.

and in true spend a dollar to save a dime fashion I suspect the audit will probably cost more than the indiscretions.

Doesn't matter what the audit costs. Ideally fines for breaking the law should cover the cost and we get all the stolen money back. IMO those caught committing fraud should loose their seats AND pensions.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Well of course. Senators under our system are simply 'patronage' appointments and the biggest waste of money for no return I can think of.

Still waiting for Stevie to reform the Senate.............

Duffy’s ‘neighbours’ in P.E.I. say they haven’t seen the senator

Controversy rages over Senator Mike Duffy’s residency declaration, as P.E.I. residents say it’s obvious his cottage isn’t a year-round home.

Duffy’s ‘neighbours’ in P.E.I. say they haven’t seen the senator | Toronto Star

And Duffy is hard to miss!

Time to abolish the Senate, along with the Crown of course. So many millions spent for so little return. Democracy would not suffer an iota with the loss of these two rotten 19th or 15th century relics. They are junk in the modern world. Filled with hacks and hangers-on, we don't need them. Why pay?

Our political system is a little immature, we can't reform these relics so they must be abolished. Its an all or nothing proposition, reform is not possible due to unanimous consent requirements.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Time to abolish the Senate, along with the Crown of course. So many millions spent for so little return. Democracy would not suffer an iota with the loss of these two rotten 19th or 15th century relics. They are junk in the modern world. Filled with hacks and hangers-on, we don't need them. Why pay?

Our political system is a little immature, we can't reform these relics so they must be abolished. Its an all or nothing proposition, reform is not possible due to unanimous consent requirements.

To abolish the Crown or the Senate, you would also need unanimous consent.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

"Democracy is the worst form of Government..." - Richard M. Langworth

Many forms of Gov*ern*ment have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pre*tends that democ*racy is per*fect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democ*racy is the worst form of Gov*ern*ment except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
To abolish the Crown or the Senate, you would also need unanimous consent.

Quebec voted to eliminate its upper house a few years back. So it can be done.

Unanimous consent is childish, it is a sign of an immature political culture because it smacks of inequality and privilege. Which is what the Senate and Crown are. "My work is special, no one can change it."

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island