George Jonas on HRCs....Wonderful!!!!

Colpy
Conservative
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
Kill the human rights commissions (before they kill our freedoms) | Full Comment | National Post

A taste:

"What we need to understand is that the so-called “human-rights” industry, the provincial and federal human rights commissions (HRCs), do not protect human rights. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects human rights (grudgingly, up to a point), and in free societies, so do judicial traditions and case law. Juries, tribunals and certain customs (e.g., “a man’s home is his castle”) may protect human rights at times; so do occasional manifestations of common sense. What the HRCs protect (sorry for sounding like a broken record) is selected human ambitions and government policies supporting them, against human rights.
I repeat: against. Not for. Human rights commissions are the state’s antibodies for the suppression of human rights. HRCs are to human rights what the Ministry of Love in George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four was to love."

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Excellent. I've always like Jonas. Have you read his memoir, "Politically Incorrect?" A fine body of work.

earth_as_one
+2
Jonas is a typical right wing Islamaphobic *******.

Of course people should be able to opt out of work based on religious constraints.

as per the OP reference:
the Charter’s guarantee of gender equality doesn’t authorize women to conscript barbers as their hairdressers. For barbers who refuse, invoking religion is, to put it mildly, overkill. “Sorry, I don’t do ladies’ hair” is all that need be said by anyone who finds it more congenial or lucrative to shave male customers.

I support the barber. If he's uncomfortable cutting a woman's hair for religious reason, enough said. Its no different than a religious authority refuses to marry a gay couple for religious reasons. Forcing someone to violate their religious beliefs is a violation of their religious freedoms and rights.

I support religious freedom up until it infringes on the rights of others. The woman can get another barber. The gay couple can get another pastor.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

Excellent. I've always like Jonas. Have you read his memoir, "Politically Incorrect?" A fine body of work.

I have not!! I'll put it on the list......

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Might be a little hard to find. I just had a look at my copy, and saw it was published in 1991. Heh... I didn't think I was that old. It's a collection of his essays from newspapers and magazines like the Toronto Sun, Ottawa Citizen, Canadian Lawyer, Toronto Life, Maclean's, Saturday Night, and half a dozen others. It's almost certainly out of print, but a major library or a good used book shop might be able to scare up a copy. Published by Lester Publishing Ltd, ISBN 1-895555-04-3, hope that helps you find it.

no new posts