A few more ideas on how to make Canada a greater nation

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It is scandalous that there really are homeless people in a rich country such as this. While many panhandlers may be charlatans, and medical problems may be at the root of much of what is real, it is disturbing to see people living in tents on each side of Toronto’s Don Valley Parkway as winter approaches.

Traditional methods of taxing peoples’ incomes and cycling the proceeds through the horribly expensive governmental apparatus to fund over-staffed assistance programs cannot get us any further toward the elimination of poverty. This should be the objective of welfare policy. Our society should not be in the business of leveling the outcomes in peoples’ lives, only ameliorating very bad outcomes. Thus, my suggestion of a self-eliminating wealth-tax as an extension of the regime accorded charitable contributions.

more

Of warplanes, the homeless, teachers

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The primary product of rich western nations adhering to private central bankers is poor citizens. Nobody should be surprised.Taxing the rich is easy, rollers, giant rollers squeezing the wealth out of them. Of course it would be more efficient just to outlaw zionism.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, I've heard that Regina's Rental Vacancy %'age has improved from last
years 0.6% to 0.8% so we've room for a few more people. I think that
translates to 19 or 20 rental dwelling vacancies at this point.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

As a civil society, we should also help people that can't find housing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The problem isn't what they are doing but why they are doing it. As a civil society we should help the mentally ill.

The DSM manual does not have a definition of 'normal'.

As a civil society, we should also help people that can't find housing.

If the prospects are too scarce or expensive, why not coordinate with friends and family.

Not everything has to be a societal responsibility

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No matter how much your heart bleeds, some people will never live indoors.

Do they still have that shanty town by your place?

When was the last time any of you have seen a house built that is under 800sq ft?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Some of you would **** a house if you knew how much money is spent on taking care of the mentally disabled and how little is spent on those with treatable mental disorders.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

When was the last time any of you have seen a house built that is under 800sq ft?

I haven't seen a house built that is under 800sq ft, to the best of my knowledge, in my
lifetime, to be honest. They exist, but they're not new.

Which shanty town? You'd have to be more specific.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I haven't seen a house built that is under 800sq ft, to the best of my knowledge, in my
lifetime, to be honest. They exist, but they're not new.

Which shanty town? You'd have to be more specific.

On the old rail right of way that ran parallel with Arcola, just behind the asphalt plant and auto auction.

A couple hundred 800sq ft homes would sell in an instant here in Regina or anywhere for that matter.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
On the old rail right of way that ran parallel with Arcola, just behind the asphalt plant and auto auction.

A couple hundred 800sq ft homes would sell in an instant here in Regina or anywhere for that matter.

I haven't been back there since they built & fenced in those compounds in the last year
or so, as you can only get in from the east side now. Use to walk my dogs down there
when you could follow the trail from west to east & back, so I really don't know.

Smaller, efficient, cost effective starter homes. Now that's a not new or novel idea, but
it's just not happening. The larger homes sell for more.

A buddy of mine has a design that he figured he could build, start to finish, for under
50K & sell for 75K as new dwellings (this was before the property values went nuts).
That was assuming 25ft lots where priced at $5000 or less.

Every two he built would pay for a third. Main living space below ground, with just bedrooms
on the main floor (two bedrooms) and the living room area would be two stories tall with
railing from bedrooms overlooking the living room. Kitchen & Bathroom & storage & laundry
& utility room all under the bedrooms at the front of the house.

It would have front and rear exits, spiral staircase from living room up to balcony from the
bedrooms, stairs down from rear exit to the living room. Fireplace & ceiling fans in the two
story (one above & one below ground) living room. Short runs for plumbing from on demand
water heater to kitchen & bathroom. Electric blinds for the windows high up (main floor) in
the living room. Insulated to the snot & most of the house further insulated by the earth it's
planted in.

Not wheelchair accessible. Next....

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It is still odd to walk down main streets in a major city and see a few people passed out on the sidewalks. I've seen that here on Elgin within a few blocks of parliament hill. Its strange to see people ignore them and just walk on by, even though I did the same thing. If one of them was dead I wonder how long it would take before anyone checked.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

My first house was 900 sq ft including the basement. We moved in the summer of eighty five with two kids, I built it and it was mortage free. Wood stove, log walls and beams, added a bit later on. The x still lives in it. $18.000.500 to move in, I scrounged a lot and got a deal on the logs. fracked the bank