Tribal Councils Investment Group

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

....McLeod has a salary and bonus package worth $1.18 million per year and a contract that ensures his employment until 2025.

It didn't take too long for Tribal Councils Investment Group (TCIG) to make a name for itself as a rising star and model for First Nations wealth generation when it was formed in the early 1990s.
Founded with investments of $25,000 each from the seven Manitoba tribal councils, it parlayed that modest investment into a group of operating companies, joint ventures and equity investments that generate about $100 million in annual revenue.

But complaints about lack of accountability to shareholders and recent losses have now soured TCIG's reputation.

The corporation, led by CEO Allan McLeod, has racked up total losses of $4.7 million for the years 2010 and 2011 combined and in September was on pace for another $3.3 million in losses this year.

more

Shareholders demand answers - Winnipeg Free Press

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
According to the document, the fund managers have done an exceptional job in increasing the value and cash flow of the fund... Presuming that the investors (being the various communities) are seeing a periodic disbursement/dividend, you might think that the investor body would want to reward these people in order to retain their services.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I'm betting there were not a lot of complaints as long as the loot was rolling in. Did they all of a sudden loose money because of poor management or just because of how the general economy was performing at that time?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm betting there were not a lot of complaints as long as the loot was rolling in. Did they all of a sudden loose money because of poor management or just because of how the general economy was performing at that time?

Probably a combination of things.

From what I read, I assume that the principal investment has long been returned and the cash flow benefit has generated a strong ROI to date.

Even if the fund went titters tomorrow, it can be said that none of the investors (read: FN communities that ponied-up the dough) lost any money - they in fact made quite a bit

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I was reading an article this morning about urban Rezes being successful here in SK. I think I'll post that one.