What could Harper do that would shock Saskatchwan's right wing Premier Brad Wall

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The pathologically sadistic and demented Harper government has now gone so far they managed to shock the conscience of Saskatchwan's right wing Premier Brad Wall. Or maybe he just realized it would appall his constituents.

Premier Wall called Ottawa’s decision to deny chemotherapy to a refugee in Saskatoon "un-Canadian.” Now, the Province of Saskatchewan is stepping up to the plate.

The province will pick up the tab for chemotherapy for a man seeking asylum in Saskatoon. The man says he fled Pakistan when he was persecuted for his Christian faith.

Shortly after arriving however, he was diagnosed with cancer, and the federal government refused to pay for treatment. Ottawa quietly introduced changes in the spring to the Federal Health Program, which cut drug, dental and vision care for refugee claimants. These cuts were highlighted in a recent mail out by Saskatoon area MP Kelly Block.

The mail outs triggered protests, saying the language was inappropriate and offensive.The display of small minded, xenophobic demagoguery by MP Kelly referred to was this:

Block lets her constituents know that she is working hard for them and "ending unfair benefits for refugee claimants."

more

Rusty Idols: Not just Un-Canadian. Inhumanly vicious and depraved

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Since did Canada become the cancer-clinic to the world?

Nothing stopping Wall from funding the chemo, surgeries, palliative care and therapies from the provincial coffers.... After all, Canada is a democracy so perhaps Wall should put it to a referendum and see what his constituents want

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Jason Kenney, Immigration Minister, said in question period Thursday that "pending asylum claimants are not refugees until they are determined to be so by our fair and just legal system, during which time they receive comprehensive health insurance but not extended benefits".

why u mad tho?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Since did Canada become the cancer-clinic to the world?

Nothing stopping Wall from funding the chemo, surgeries, palliative care and therapies from the provincial coffers.... After all, Canada is a democracy so perhaps Wall should put it to a referendum and see what his constituents want

Very true!!! I can see that happening too!!!

The pathologically sadistic and demented Harper government has now gone so far they managed to shock the conscience of Saskatchwan's right wing Premier Brad Wall. Or maybe he just realized it would appall his constituents.

As far as the Right leaning or Right wing retoric goes...yeah, I do believe Brad Wall leans off
to the right somewhat, and the Saskatchewan Party is a coalition of PC's & Liberals. Oh those
persky Right Wing Liberals & PC's are just evil to the core. Whatever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan_Party

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wall isn't far right. He's what I'd call "Light Wing" or "NDP Lite" Wall has also gone to bat against Kenney for 2 African women whose student visas were yanked because they took jobs at McD off campus and he's pissed about the Provincial immigration sponsorship cap.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Normally an immigrant would be denied permanent resident status if he/she had an illness like cancer so why should a refugee be any different? This is so they will not be a burden to tax payers. Our medical system is already stressed looking after Canadians that have paid into the system. We can not afford to look after the world's ill.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First I have the question the guy from Pakistan, did he really suffer the slings and arrows of
being a Christian in his homeland? Was that ever proven?
I also hear people complaining we have others come here legitimately and other wise and get
benefits they might not be entitled to . Next thing you know the law tightens up and then many
of these same people start calling for exemptions until the law is useless.

It is time we had a discussion about what is and is not covered and who is and is not covered
then we establish one law for all who live among us.
As for the girls off campus, I can see where that might happen and they were not trying to cheat
the system. I have some neighbours who sometimes don't understand the system. Once explained
they are model citizens. Sometimes our government over reacts as well that is why we need a
national discussion and form some reasonable policy.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My Daughter-in-Law is an immigrant to Canada (from Utah, no less). Not a refugee claimant.

She was screened thoroughly (criminal record checks, medical exams,etc...) and was told in
no uncertain terms that until such time (Landed Immigrant Status) that she had a S.I.N.so that
she could pay Canadian Income Taxes....she could NOT work in Canada...& if she was caught,
she was out, gone, deported, with no second chances even though she married a Canadian
before moving to Canada. There was/is NO Gray area pertaining to this.

She went half nuts in the first year trapped without a self-earned income as my Son supported
her before the documentation was in place for her to pay taxes (& be eligible to receive health
care if needed...both came through with the Landed Immigrant Status, & another $900 fee).

In a few more years, and after a citizenship exam, and another large fee, she will be a Canadian
Citizen and be able to vote.