Canadians Covet Competence Over Charisma and Carping


TeddyBallgame
#1
- Several times a year the Nanos polling company conducts a national survey called The Leadership Index which provides a solid indication as to the relative credibility of Canada's federal party leaders among the voters in terms of whom they trust to run their government.

- While this will come as a complete shock to anyone who gets his information from reading this board, prime minister Harper has enjoyed a healthy lead over all other federal party leaders since early 2008 as the most credible and trusted leader with the exception of the Quebec miracle for the late Le Bon Jack Layton in April and May of 2011 when Jack was almost tied with Harper.

- Currently, the prime minister leads the leader of the opposition by a staggering 104.2 to 43.6 in this Leadership Index.

- In my opinion, it is a tribute to the average Canadian voter that he or she has been able to discern what is solid peformance and proven ability over trumped up carping, empty rhetoric and even emptier platforms and has also opted for competence over charisma since Stephen Harper has about as much charisma as the late Bob Stanfield or Herb Gray on heavy medication.

- Here is more on the latest Nanos survey:

Opposition doesn’t get it: Muckraking only briefly sways voters

John Ibbitson

The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Nov. 22 2012, 7:00 AM EST

Last updated Thursday, Nov. 22 2012, 5:20 AM EST

Stephen Harper, having paid the political price for the controversies that dogged his government last spring, appears to have been forgiven. In that forgiveness lies a fascinating insight into the relationship between the Prime Minister and the Canadian voter.

Canadians may not warm to Mr. Harper, but unless the headlines are screaming scandal, they trust him more than other politicians. And even though those headlines may temporarily shake that trust, as soon as the story moves off page one, the trust returns.

A Nanos Research Survey released Tuesday shows that the hit the Prime Minister took to his credibility in the wake of the omnibus bill, the furor over alleged electoral fraud and the controversies surrounding the F-35 fighter contract has dissipated.

The Nanos Leadership Index – a compendium of scores based on responses to questions about which federal political leader voters believe is most trustworthy and competent and has the best vision of the country – shows voter trust in Mr. Harper has returned to its traditional level of around 100.

To be precise, Mr. Harper earned a score of 104.2 in a poll conducted between Nov. 9 and Nov. 15. He has scored at or around 100 more often than not since the beginning of 2008.

Last July, as omnibusgate, robogate and F-35gate roiled the political waters, Mr. Harper’s trust index plummeted to an all-time low of 72.7. But since then that score has steadily improved.

For pollster Nik Nanos, the numbers demonstrate that voters are more interested in the overall ability of a government to govern – regardless of how they view the government leader personally – than in any particular kerfuffle..

“We shouldn’t confuse likeability with being able to govern,” Mr. Nanos said in an interview. “None of the opposition parties looks like a government in waiting. That just makes Stephen Harper look taller.”

Mr. Nanos observed that, unless one of the other political parties and its leader are able to present themselves as that elusive government-in-waiting, any controversy-du-jour eventually becomes “political wallpaper … part of the noise in Ottawa,” with voters defaulting to their traditional level of trust in the Conservative government.

In this respect, the poll for NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair is particularly disheartening. With a leadership index of 43.6, less than half that of the Prime Minister, he has clearly not convinced Canadians that he and his team are ready and able to lead the country.

His predecessor, Jack Layton, typically scored in the same range, except for the tremendous spike in Spring 2011 that resulted in the NDP forming the official opposition.

The message for NDP and Liberal political strategists is stark: While there is short-term political gain to be had by hammering the government over defence procurement, dodgy election tactics or other alleged sins, those attacks have a limited shelf life.

Unless the news of Conservative malfeasance can be sustained, the voters are inclined to eventually discount them.

To defeat the Conservatives, in this environment, the opposition must do more than simply rake muck; they must fundamentally shake voter confidence in the ability of the Conservatives to mind the store, while boosting voter confidence in their own team.

This – through three elections, with an endless litany of contretemps between votes – they have failed to achieve. All the opposition has managed to accomplish has been to convert the Conservative minority government into a majority.

Sometimes it must be hard to get out of bed in the morning at Stornaway.

The Nanos poll also shows the Conservatives holding on to a modest lead in overall public support. If an election were held today, 34 per cent say they would vote Conservative, 29 per cent would vote Liberal – a considerable improvement on the 19 per cent the party obtained in the last election – while 27 per cent would support the NDP.

Nanos conducted a telephone survey of 1,004 Canadians, with the results considered accurate to within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20
Last edited by TeddyBallgame; Nov 22nd, 2012 at 10:49 AM..
 
#juan
No Party Affiliation
+2
#2
What Canadians want is fair and honest elections and that is what we normally get. While Nanos polling is
interesting, it is just that, a poll. The only worthwhile poll is the election. Second guessing the electorate may be
fun for some, but the election is what counts.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
Speaking of empty rhetoric, here's more comedy from Deadhead Ted.
Harpy enjoys a substantial lead only because the competition is in shambles and they don't have visibly strong leadership. That by no means supports Harpy as being saintly. After all, the guy is a fμcking politician. The guy's gov't is by no means transparent. Even though and from what I've seen, I think Harpy & Company's misdeeds haven't been as nefarious as past gov'ts' misdeeds, I rigidly believe that what we see is only the tip of the iceberg.
Harpy is still a sucker for the "trickle-down" fallacy.
And Deadhead Ted is only supportive of Harpy because of the "conservative" tag. If Harpy were American, he'd still be left of DUHbama. Deadhead Ted's political philosophy is almost totally based upon blind, partisan belief in the title of "conservative". That's almost as stupid a base for a philosophy as basing a philosophy upon facial appearances.
And then there's this stuff:


Yeah, that's quite the performance, alright.
Again I'll quote: "Ah, whatta maroon." - B Bunny
 
TeddyBallgame
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Speaking of empty rhetoric, here's more comedy from Deadhead Ted.
Harpy enjoys a substantial lead only because the competition is in shambles and they don't have visibly strong leadership. That by no means supports Harpy as being saintly. After all, the guy is a fμcking politician. The guy's gov't is by no means transparent. Even though and from what I've seen, I think Harpy & Company's misdeeds haven't been as nefarious as past gov'ts' misdeeds, I rigidly believe that what we see is only the tip of the iceberg.
Harpy is still a sucker for the "trickle-down" fallacy.
And Deadhead Ted is only supportive of Harpy because of the "conservative" tag. If Harpy were American, he'd still be left of DUHbama. Deadhead Ted's political philosophy is almost totally based upon blind, partisan belief in the title of "conservative". That's almost as stupid a base for a philosophy as basing a philosophy upon facial appearances.
And then there's this stuff:

Yeah, that's quite the performance, alright.
Again I'll quote: "Ah, whatta maroon." - B Bunny

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
- Yes, idiot boy, it is quite the impressive performance as everyone from his fellow G8 members to the credit ratings agencies to the money market folks to the economists to the financial press knows and has acknowledged.

- Lets try to make things simple and clear just for you. In his six years in office, Harper has increased the net federal debt by $80 billion or 14% whereas Obama in just four years in office has increased the US federal debt by an incredible 60% from $10 trillion to $16 trillion. Furthermore, Obamanomics has resulted in a federal debt to GDP ratio that is almost THREE TIMES (that's 300%, get it) the Canadian federal debt to GDP ratio. And still furthermore, economic and financial illiterate, Harper's targetted stimulus spending has actually helped the Canadian economy to significantly outperfrom the US economy since the 2008 lmelt down on every signicant economic indicator.

- Only an idiot would be imbecilic enough to believe that community organizer and management trainee Obama's fiscal and economic performance was even in the same league as economist Harper's.

- Only a blithering idiot would be retarded enough to claim that Harper's economic, fiscal and monetary management was to the left of the Obamination in the White House.

- And just by the way, Harper's Leadership Index numbers were consistently higher than were the numbers of all of the opposition party leaders whom have come and gone since he became PM (about six of them as I recall).

- Also by the way, one of the primary reason that the "opposition is in shambles ... and doesn't have strong leadership" is because Harper has out thought and outmaneuvered and out strategized and out performed them, moron boy.

- If stupidity was a virtue in the Catholic Church, you'd be a saint anytime soon.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Yes, idiot boy, it is quite the impressive performance as everyone from his fellow G8 members to the credit ratings agencies to the money market folks to the economists to the financial press knows and has acknowledged.

Yeah, adding a load of debt to one we already had and running on deficits is definitely praiseworthy and impressive.

Quote:

- Lets try to make things simple and clear just for you. In his six years in office, Harper has increased the net federal debt by $80 billion or 14% whereas Obama in just four years in office has increased the US federal debt by an incredible 60% from $10 trillion to $16 trillion. Furthermore, Obamanomics has resulted in a federal debt to GDP ratio that is almost THREE TIMES (that's 300%, get it) the Canadian federal debt to GDP ratio. And still furthermore, economic and financial illiterate, Harper's targetted stimulus spending has actually helped the Canadian economy to significantly outperfrom the US economy since the 2008 lmelt down on every signicant economic indicator.

So comparing Harpy's failures to DUHbama's even worse failures makes Harpy a hero?

Quote:

- Only an idiot would be imbecilic enough to believe that community organizer and management trainee Obama's fiscal and economic performance was even in the same league as economist Harper's..

Only an amoeba with an IQ in the negative numbers would consider comparing the two as being relevant.

Quote:

- Only a blithering idiot would be retarded enough to claim that Harper's economic, fiscal and monetary management was to the left of the Obamination in the White House.

Must be speaking of someone else here. I was referring to overall performance.

Quote:

- And just by the way, Harper's Leadership Index numbers were consistently higher than were the numbers of all of the opposition party leaders whom have come and gone since he became PM (about six of them as I recall).

So? That still doesn't make him some kind of governing genius or saint.

Quote:

- Also by the way, one of the primary reason that the "opposition is in shambles ... and doesn't have strong leadership" is because Harper has out thought and outmaneuvered and out strategized and out performed them, moron boy.

So? That still doesn't make him some kind of governing genius or saint. It just makes him better at politics than the others.

Quote:

- If stupidity was a virtue in the Catholic Church, you'd be a saint anytime soon.

Yeah, well, I ain't Catholic and your opinion is not exactly objective, balanced, nor relevant.

Damn, you're comical to play with sometimes.
 
TeddyBallgame
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

1/ Yeah, adding a load of debt to one we already had and running on deficits is definitely praiseworthy and impressive.

2/ Damn, you're comical to play with sometimes.

- Gilbert ... 1. Name one - just one - of the G8 and other first world countries that have NOT run deficits since the 2008 meltdown. While you're at it, name one - just one - of the other G8 countries that has a better debt to GDP ratio than Canada (there may be one and maybe you can find it but even if there is, Canada would rank no less than 2nd out of .

2. And you seem content to be (or maybe you don;t even know you are being) comical and asinine and uninformed to play with pretty much all the time.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Gilbert ... 1. Name one - just one - of the G8 and other first world countries that have NOT run deficits since the 2008 meltdown. While you're at it, name one - just one - of the other G8 countries that has a better debt to GDP ratio than Canada (there may be one and maybe you can find it but even if there is, Canada would rank no less than 2nd out of .

lol As I said, comparing Canada to others as to how well the performance of the country's leader has been is pretty immaterial.
Harpy was adding to the debt and running on deficits before the "meltdown". And that is just referring to his economic performance. There are other factors involved in governing a country.

Quote:

2. And you seem

"Seem" implies opinion. Like yours matters to me? lmao
Quote:

....... content to be (or maybe you don;t even know you are being) comical and asinine and uninformed to play with pretty much all the time.

....... meaning that I am a lot more objective, non-partisan, and balanced than you. lol I knew that.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Gilbert ... 1. Name one - just one - of the G8 and other first world countries that have NOT run deficits since the 2008 meltdown. While you're at it, name one - just one - of the other G8 countries that has a better debt to GDP ratio than Canada (there may be one and maybe you can find it but even if there is, Canada would rank no less than 2nd out of .

2. And you seem content to be (or maybe you don;t even know you are being) comical and asinine and uninformed to play with pretty much all the time.

Ah you\ve no doubt heard of the international community, ah thanks for informing them about our favourable status, ah we can expect visits very soon, ah no doubt beggars asking handouts to save the international anti system. ah God save the Kink.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+1 / -1
#9
I think Harper compares favourably with Pol Pot.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
#10
Pol Pot was an accountant?
 
TeddyBallgame
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Ah you\ve no doubt heard of the international community, ah thanks for informing them about our favourable status, ah we can expect visits very soon, ah no doubt beggars asking handouts to save the international anti system. ah God save the Kink.

- DB ... Harper and finance minister Flaherty have already been lobbied hard by the EU to send billions of Canadian taxdollars to save the sorry spend thrift asses of the PIGS of southern Europe. Harper and Flaherty have wisely and responsibly told them to get their own house in order with their own money and a fiscal discipline that has been sorely lacking in the UE with the possible exception of Germany.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I think Harper compares favourably with Pol Pot.

- Your idiotic, extreme and disgusting remark is obviously out of step with the vast majority of Canadians. Accordingly, you should be well received here.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- In my opinion, it is a tribute to the average Canadian voter that he or she has been able to discern what is solid peformance and proven ability over trumped up carping, empty rhetoric and even emptier platforms and has also opted for competence over charisma since Stephen Harper has about as much charisma as the late Bob Stanfield or Herb Gray on heavy medication.

I'm surprised you'd say that given how Layton always scored so high. I never took you for a Layton fan. For me, he seemed like a greasy used car salesman.
 
TeddyBallgame
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I'm surprised you'd say that given how Layton always scored so high. I never took you for a Layton fan. For me, he seemed like a greasy used car salesman.

- Yes, Jack was the classic left wing weasel trying to bribe the people with their own money and play the politics of envy and class warfare and he actually didn't always score so high. The only time he scored in the Harper range was in April and May of 2011 fueled almost entirely by the herd voting in Quebec which gave Jack and the NDP almost every seat and huge favourability ratings in Quebec.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Yes, Jack was the classic left wing weasel trying to bribe the people with their own money and play the politics of envy and class warfare and he actually didn't always score so high. The only time he scored in the Harper range was in April and May of 2011 fueled almost entirely by the herd voting in Quebec which gave Jack and the NDP almost every seat and huge favourability ratings in Quebec.

...and yet you pay tribute to the average Canadian voter that he or she has been able to discern what is solid peformance and proven ability. I'm just sayin' I'm shocked.
 
TeddyBallgame
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Pol Pot was an accountant?

- Harper is an economist not an accountant, idiot boy, the first PM to be a trained economist since macKenzie King who did rather well as PM for 22 years. It seems that understanding economics and how wealth is created is rather better training for the PM role than being, say, a community organizer who only understands how wealth is confisticated from others and then pissed away never to be seen again.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

...and yet you pay tribute to the average Canadian voter that he or she has been able to discern what is solid peformance and proven ability. I'm just sayin' I'm shocked.

- To repeat, Layton always trailed Harper by a sizable margin in the Leadetship Index surveys except for the two anomolous months of April and May of 2011 when his popularity soared in Quebec and elevated his Leadership Index scores accordingly.

- Sleazy though he was - including even being sleazy enough to keep the fact that he was probably dying hidden from the suckers who voted for him - Layton did have a good deal of political charisma which tends to play particularly well in Quebec and this - not solid performance and proven ability inasmuch as he never actually ran anything exceot his mouth - was responsible for his brief flirtation with high Leadership Index ratings. Harper, on the other hand, has no charisma whatsoever and must rely on solid performance and proven ability to dominate the leadership ratings 90% of the time.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- To repeat, Layton always trailed Harper by a sizable margin in the Leadetship Index surveys except for the two anomolous months of April and May of 2011 when his popularity soared in Quebec and elevated his Leadership Index scores accordingly.

I'm well aware of when and how Layton's popularity ebbed and flowed. As I said, I'm just surprised you would salute Canadians for being so astute. I disagree but then, I've never liked Layton.
 
Spade
Free Thinker
+4
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I think Harper compares favourably with Pol Pot.

Okay, Teddy, I take it back. Harper does not compare favourably with Pol Pot.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Sleazy though he was - including even being sleazy enough to keep the fact that he was probably dying hidden from the suckers who voted for him

OK, now I'm confused...first you say Canadians are astute and able to discern what is solid peformance and proven ability and then you say they are suckers. Which is it?
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#19
There is a saying beware of the ides of March in Roman History. By the same token we say
six weeks is a long time in politics. Yes a poll is a snapshot in history however over three years
away from an election it means nothing. Let us look at some reasons for this.
Right now the Tories are moving on with their program and the economy is not harming the
mainstream yet. Watch those numbers change if the economy moves even a little bit.
The Liberals have moved up because they are on the radar of a leadership race. Remember
the Liberals were miles ahead of the NDP during their leadership changes but in the end they
fell apart completely.
The NDP is the official opposition and they are part of the establishment at the moment that
could change if an election were called.
A snap shot in time about three years ahead of an election means very little other than people
are satisfied three years out.
Explain how Trudeau Senior did what he did, or Mulroney it was Charisma not substance.
Canadians have a huge habit for being satisfied one day and wanting massive change the next.
 
Mowich
Conservative
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Canadians have a huge habit for being satisfied one day and wanting massive change the next.

How very true that is, DG.

Teddy, stop..........please. By the time you finish praising the PM he won't have a supporter left. Please try and contain your severe right wing Conservatism to opinions on American politics. Truly you do the Conservatives in Canada no service.
 
relic
Free Thinker
+1
#21
And 36% is not a majority,and even that was before a lot of Canadians woke up to what an arsehole he and most of his front line lackys are, He better hope the oposition never get their act together,because that's all that's saving him now.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

Your idiotic, extreme and disgusting remark is obviously out of step with the vast majority of Canadians. Accordingly, you should be well received here.

Idiotic?
Angus-Reid had Harpy's DISapproval rating at 50% and Abacus Data had his approval rating at 35%.
Which "vast majority" are you speaking of?

Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgameView Post

- Harper is an economist not an accountant, idiot boy,

Big deal. I forgot it was his father that was the accountant. But bean counters are bean counters whatever their tag might be, and Harpy only has a Master's degree in it.
 
tay
+1
#23
If this poll is accurate it would seem to suggest that the opposition parties' shift to the right has been a monumental blunder. Harper has certainly taken the country there but, unlike the Liberals and the NDP who compliantly followed, the Canadian people, it seems, have stayed put which could plausibly explain the public disconnect with federal politics and the growing support for dissent and protest.

This should be a lesson, especially to the Liberals now looking for their next leader. With Trudeau, Garneau and Hall Findlay parked so comfortably up Harper's bitumen backside, it's time the LPC came to its senses and finally embraced a good measure of progressivism.


Majority of Canadians support grassroots protest movements: poll (external - login to view)




A National Survey of Canadians



www.environicsinstitute.org/u...%2012-2012.pdf (external - login to view)
 
Spade
Free Thinker
#24
I only look to the right when shoulder checking for insane drivers
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

If this poll is accurate it would seem to suggest that the opposition parties' shift to the right has been a monumental blunder. Harper has certainly taken the country there but, unlike the Liberals and the NDP who compliantly followed, the Canadian people, it seems, have stayed put which could plausibly explain the public disconnect with federal politics and the growing support for dissent and protest.

This should be a lesson, especially to the Liberals now looking for their next leader. With Trudeau, Garneau and Hall Findlay parked so comfortably up Harper's bitumen backside, it's time the LPC came to its senses and finally embraced a good measure of progressivism.


Majority of Canadians support grassroots protest movements: poll (external - login to view)




A National Survey of Canadians



www.environicsinstitute.org/u...%2012-2012.pdf (external - login to view)

What the liberal party really needs to find is a businessman(woman) to lead them. Not school teachers. Or space cadets.
 

Similar Threads

43
Hi Canadians!
by Brandeburg | Jul 15th, 2011
3
Canadian Leadership Charisma
by Mowich | Mar 30th, 2011
no new posts