Scrap eco fees: Tories

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Eco fees paid by consumers on electronic goods like TVs and computers should be tuned out, Ontario PC MPP Michael Harris says.

“We’d be eliminating the government-mandated eco fees,” Harris said Wednesday.

The Conservatives would also dump Waste Diversion Ontario and let the free market handle recycling of its own electronics and hazardous waste under the oversight of Ontario’s environment ministry, he said.

more

Scrap eco fees: Tories | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

This is the biggest tax scam Ontarians haven't heard about. The latest fee bump is nearly 50% a gallon can of paint alone and Stewardship Ontario will no longer publish their fee schedule online. Greenoid cash grab plain and simple. I hope the media investigate this outfit properly.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I think this was done so the cost of ecologically safely ridding ourselves of the lead and toxic waste produced by electronic goods. And not shipping it to China, India or Africa to be stripped. So we do it here and reduce pollution. And jobs.

The fed Tories signed the Basel Agreement to do just this, now they are enforcing it due to public pressure. yay

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think this was done so the cost of ecologically safely ridding ourselves of the lead and toxic waste produced by electronic goods. And not shipping it to China, India or Africa to be stripped. So we do it here and reduce pollution. And jobs.

The fed Tories signed the Basel Agreement to do just this, now they are enforcing it due to public pressure. yay
HAHAHAHAHA....your junk TV has copper, gold and silver in it and people are stupid enough to pay a fee to give away gold and silver? I love this planet. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a scam.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Trouble is, a small amount of arsenic and barium can kill. It's private enterprise initiative in BC, done on a cost recovery basis. Works for me.
You enjoy paying to give somebody your copper, gold and silver? Do you think they are losing money recovering the minerals and that a fee is necessary?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If there was an Eco fee that went to the purpose for which it was said to be going to that would
be one thing. The problem is in BC we have such a program and the money goes to general
revenue no where near the target. Petros is right there is a wealth of salvageable metals and we
stupidly pay for their return, Not only that our Eco friendly governments load containers onto
ships full of this stuff and send them to Asia for scrap. Little kids take them apart in the worst
environmental conditions on the planet.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
If there was an Eco fee that went to the purpose for which it was said to be going to that would
be one thing. The problem is in BC we have such a program and the money goes to general
revenue no where near the target. Petros is right there is a wealth of salvageable metals and we
stupidly pay for their return, Not only that our Eco friendly governments load containers onto
ships full of this stuff and send them to Asia for scrap. Little kids take them apart in the worst
environmental conditions on the planet.

Got a link for that? They better not be going to Asia/India etc. That's not the idea. I knew at FreeGeek they send eco-waste to Trail.

You enjoy paying to give somebody your copper, gold and silver? Do you think they are losing money recovering the minerals and that a fee is necessary?

I dropped a TV off for nothing at some recycling place on Douglas Road. Sounds good to me.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
HAHAHAHAHA....your junk TV has copper, gold and silver in it and people are stupid enough to pay a fee to give away gold and silver? I love this planet. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a scam.

Tell you what, Petros. Why don't you share your wisdom and tell everyone how to get these valuable metals out of our outmoded electronics. I'm sure it would be well worth our while.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Trouble is, a small amount of arsenic and barium can kill. It's private enterprise initiative in BC, done on a cost recovery basis. Works for me.

So what about the eco fee on concrete? and car batteries? Since we pay CASH for used batteries and they go back to the battery plant where does the eco fee go?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
At least part of the eco fee should be refundable upon return to the designated recycling place. Otherwise sh*t just get dumped in the bush or in the lake etc.

So what about the eco fee on concrete? and car batteries? Since we pay CASH for used batteries and they go back to the battery plant where does the eco fee go?

Well, you do see activities happening like habitat restoration, so I would hope some of the eco fees would go toward this sort of thing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
At least part of the eco fee should be refundable upon return to the designated recycling place. Otherwise sh*t just get dumped in the bush or in the lake etc.

Well, you do see activities happening like habitat restoration, so I would hope some of the eco fees would go toward this sort of thing.
Why charge a fee? I take any dead appliances we have to the scrap dealer and get $15. The dump wants $10 and they take them to be sold for scrap.

You can hope but that just ain't gonna happen.