About damn time!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Conservatives putting First Nations accountability bill on fast trackat 12:47 on November 21, 2012, EST.

The Canadian Press
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services0
OTTAWA - The federal Conservatives are pressing ahead with a bill to force First Nations chiefs to publish their salaries and financial details — ramming through legislation despite opposition from the NDP and many aboriginal leaders.
The government is invoking closure on the bill, which essentially calls a halt to parliamentary debate and forces it to a vote.
The proposed legislation, various forms of which have been kicking around for the last three years, would make all First Nations bands publish the salaries and expenses of chiefs and counsellors.
It was prompted by Canadian Taxpayers Federation research that found more than 200 band politicians had salaries higher than that of a provincial premier — many of them earning more than the prime minister himself.
But the Assembly of First Nations and the federal NDP say bands are already being held accountable for spending, and should be deciding for themselves how they want to explain their finances to their people.

High salaries of many chiefs combined with the large number of natives living in poverty
suggests that we need there to be more control of first nations funding.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think it is time to disclose the money paid to the leadership of the bands and here is why.
First of all Provincial Governments their ministers and senior employees are all bound to
financial disclosure.
Federal Governments and Ministers and senior employees come under the financial watch
dogs scrutiny.
Municipal Governments we know what the Mayor and council member receive and the paid
senior staff.
If the First Nations want to be considered an equal in terms of Governance they too should
be subject to the same financial disclosure as any other level of government after all they
demanded to be on a equal footing. I support the government on the condition there are no
other clauses demanding this for other reasons outside of making this an inclusionary measure.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Conservatives putting First Nations accountability bill on fast trackat 12:47 on November 21, 2012, EST.

The Canadian Press
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services0
OTTAWA - The federal Conservatives are pressing ahead with a bill to force First Nations chiefs to publish their salaries and financial details — ramming through legislation despite opposition from the NDP and many aboriginal leaders.

Actually this is a subject that can be discussed without bringing race or ethnicity into it. If we are talking about public funds (taxpayers money), then we are owed an explanation of where every dollar goes. -:)

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
actually this is a subject that can be discussed without bringing race or ethnicity into it. If we are talking about public funds (taxpayers money), then we are owed an explanation of where every dollar goes. -:)
+500

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Actually this is a subject that can be discussed without bringing race or ethnicity into it. If we are talking about public funds (taxpayers money), then we are owed an explanation of where every dollar goes. -:)

I don't know how we can talk about first nations without race or ethnicity popping up here and there. By the same token, I
don't even dream that first nations are alone in their creative spending habits. When it is tax dollars, they not only have to
be honest, like Caesar's wife, they have to look honest.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't know how we can talk about first nations without race or ethnicity popping up here and there.
The contracts were signed by people, and the beneficiaries are the heirs. Race has nothing to do with it.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.