Chinese Ambassador to Canadians-Shut Up!

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Typical Chinese bully-their society is largely built on bullying/intimidation and worse we see it here all the time

Prove China spy allegations or 'shut up,' ambassador says
Zhang Junsai's comments follow scathing U.S. intelligence committee report

In an interview with CBC News, Chinese Ambassador to Canada Zhang Junsai had firm words for anyone accusing his country's firms of foreign espionage.

Beijing's representative in Ottawa says Chinese firms are not involved in foreign espionage and he challenges anyone who says otherwise to produce evidence or keep quiet, in a rare interview airing Saturday on CBC Radio's The House.

Zhang Junsai, China's ambassador to Canada, tells host Evan Solomon, "I can assure you that our companies working in other countries are strictly doing business according to the local laws."

"If you really have the evidence, come [out] with it. If not... shut up," Zhang says in no uncertain terms.

The Chinese ambassador's comments come on the heels of a scathing report released by a U.S. intelligence committee last month, warning of the security risks associated with doing business with two of China's leading telecommunications firms, Huawei and ZTE.

The ambassador said "even the United States could not give out evidence."

However, as CBC's Greg Weston reported days after the report was made public, that same U.S. intelligence committee has turned over to the FBI evidence of possible bribery and corruption by Huawei, one of the largest telecom companies in the world.

In an interview with CBC News after the U.S. report was released, the chairman of the committee, House Representative Mike Rogers, warned that Canada's national security was equally at risk.

Zhang said the "so-called security concerns" are "so far, groundless."

China's ambassador blamed the allegations of espionage against Chinese firms on "a Cold War mentality."

CNOOC's bid for Nexen
But a controversial bid by a Chinese state-owned company has raised concerns about growing Chinese investment in Canada's natural resources.

And while the federal government is reviewing a $15-billion proposed takeover by China National Offshore Oil Corp. of Calgary's Nexen Inc. under the Investment Canada Act, the Chinese ambassador told Solomon there's nothing to fear.

"We're here not to grab your resources. We're here to participate," Zhang said, pointing to the fact that no oil or gas has been shipped from Canada to China yet.

The Chinese ambassador said Canada was "one of the best destination" for Chinese companies to invest partly because of our "transparent policies."

Official Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair has come out swinging against the deal, saying his New Democrats do not believe it's in Canada's best interest.

Members of the Conservative caucus are also said to be grappling with the bid, as are a majority of Canadians, who recent surveys suggest are uncomfortable with a major domestic oil company being sold to a Chinese government enterprise.

The federal government, however, is apparently facing pressure from industry to approve the bid in exchange for further reciprocity from China.

The review period has been extended to Dec. 10.

Investment treaty with China
The Conservatives have also come under heavy scrutiny from opposition parties and critics who have sounded the alarm over an investment treaty Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently signed with China, saying Canada will come out on the losing end of the deal.

Zhang brushed off the concerns, saying that China has signed similar investment treaties with more than a hundred countries and describing it as an "international standard agreement."

The treaty, formally known as a Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Agreement, could have been ratified via a cabinet decree as early as 21 sitting days after it was tabled in Parliament on Sept. 26. But so far there's no indication on the federal government's website of orders-in-council that it has come into law.

Zhang said building "mutual trust" between the two countries is a priority, adding that the economic and trading relations between the two countries are "very important."

This week, Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping succeeded outgoing President Hu Jintao as the country's new leader, assuming the top posts in the Communist Party.

Zhang said political reform is "high" on the government and party's agenda.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
He could have chosen his words a little better, but he does have a point. Make the evidence public as he says.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well, if it was a government official or business spokesperson, he may have a leg to stand on. If its the opinion of Joe or Jill Q. Average, he can f*** himself. Our officials should have enough common sense not to make unfounded allegations (yeah I know common sense and politicians don't go well together...) but our average citizens have the right to whatever opinions they want to have and have the right to express those opinions, unlike citizens of China.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Well, if it was a government official or business spokesperson, he may have a leg to stand on. If its the opinion of Joe or Jill Q. Average, he can f*** himself. Our officials should have enough common sense not to make unfounded allegations (yeah I know common sense and politicians don't go well together...) but our average citizens have the right to whatever opinions they want to have and have the right to express those opinions, unlike citizens of China.

Didn't read the article, did ya.

The Chinese ambassador's comments come on the heels of a scathing report released by a U.S. intelligence committee last month, warning of the security risks associated with doing business with two of China's leading telecommunications firms, Huawei and ZTE.

and I agree with the Chinese spokesman. Put up or shut up.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually opinions by Chinese officials and Canadian officials do need to be tempered.
Opinions by Canadians on average yes they have a right to express them but they
should be bases on facts. The problem we have in the west is we are hypocrites. We
preach about human rights and freedom and ethics and moral issues and in the midst of
that we send our factories to China we can't wait to get to Walmart to buy cheap Chinese
goods of suspect quality made by people who are oppressed and imprisoned for speaking
the word democracy, freedom or ethics for that matter.
We buy products that poison our pets, that have illegally painted toys containing lead and
god knows what else.
We have a right to speak our mind that is true but we also have a duty to live up to the
belief system we profess and swear loyalty too.
Canadians should shut up until we are ready to stand up for what we believe in.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
and I agree with the Chinese spokesman. Put up or shut up.

I think they have. That's why the Chinese Ambassador is whining to the CBC. He knows damn well the "evidence" won't be made public. Espionage doesn't operate in the light. There is enough stuff that has been made public that suggests there is a smoking gun.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Does anyone know what the Chinese are spying for or should I say ( besides the natural resources ) what does Canada have
that China needs ...beer , hockey (they're on strike anyhow ),perhaps maple syrup ?

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
It's unusual for a Chinese ambassador to tell the people of the country in which he is a guest that they should shut up. I guess the Chinese think they have the Canadians baffaloed.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
It's unusual for a Chinese ambassador to tell the people of the country in which he is a guest that they should shut up.

If I was your guest and you kept accusing me of wrongdoings.....without any proof ....I'd do more than just tell you to shut-up

I guess the Chinese think they have the Canadians baffaloed.

If you are not "buffaloed" yourself....why do you even say that , Do you really think Chinese give a damn ?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well we know he is full of $hit when he says Chinese companies follow all Canadian laws. Currently at least one of them is claiming that their chinese workers in a chinese government company operating in Canada are exempt from both labour and safety laws.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Chinese are good managers, and they have lots of gold. I hope those stupid conservative don't blow it with China cuz we ain't going to get any help from double broke and rabid dog crazy Uncle Sam.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
If I was your guest and you kept accusing me of wrongdoings.....without any proof ....I'd do more than just tell you to shut-up

China can't harm Canada in any way. The Chinese ambassador is losing face in Canada. He should be withdrawn so that a new Chinese ambassador can be chosen who respects the Canadian people.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
China can't harm Canada in any way. The Chinese ambassador is losing face in Canada. He should be withdrawn so that a new Chinese ambassador can be chosen who respects the Canadian people.

Why should China want to harm Canada ?.....by the way how old are you BaalsTears ?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
He could have chosen his words a little better, but he does have a point. Make the evidence public as he says.

Agreed....

From the above report:
"If you really have the evidence, come [out] with it. If not... shut up," Zhang says in no uncertain terms.

Seems fair enough. Put your money where your mouth is.

The ambassador said "even the United States could not give out evidence."

Hmmm... Sounds more like slander & fear mongering to drive away business from the competition.

However, as CBC's Greg Weston reported days after the report was made public, that same U.S. intelligence committee has turned over to the FBI evidence of possible bribery and corruption by Huawei, one of the largest telecom companies in the world.

So explain to me how Bribery and Corruption equates to Espionage?? :?

And it's "Possible" Bribery & Corruption.

Anybody know what the term Espionage means?

The "Evidence" of "Possible" corruption and bribery that somehow equates to "Espionage" must have been written up by the same people who claim they have "Evidence" of Iran "Possibly" working on Nuclear Weapons. :roll:

Show us the evidence or like the Ambassador said.... Shut Up & stop wasting people's time.

Seems simple enough.... and no, I'm not just blindly defending China, as this applies for any nation. If you have claims a nation is doing something wrong... prove and show the evidence, otherwise, stop wasting everybody's time.

Actually opinions by Chinese officials and Canadian officials do need to be tempered.
Opinions by Canadians on average yes they have a right to express them but they
should be bases on facts. The problem we have in the west is we are hypocrites. We
preach about human rights and freedom and ethics and moral issues and in the midst of
that we send our factories to China we can't wait to get to Walmart to buy cheap Chinese
goods of suspect quality made by people who are oppressed and imprisoned for speaking
the word democracy, freedom or ethics for that matter.
We buy products that poison our pets, that have illegally painted toys containing lead and
god knows what else.
We have a right to speak our mind that is true but we also have a duty to live up to the
belief system we profess and swear loyalty too.
Canadians should shut up until we are ready to stand up for what we believe in.

Let's not forget about fixing our own human rights issues first before finger wagging others for their human rights issues. I'm not saying Canada is as bad or worse than other nations when it comes to human rights issues, but Canada sure isn't perfect and still has problems in this regard that need to be addressed.

ie: don't act like our sh*t don't stink.

Well we know he is full of $hit when he says Chinese companies follow all Canadian laws. Currently at least one of them is claiming that their chinese workers in a chinese government company operating in Canada are exempt from both labour and safety laws.

And you never heard of one or two companies in Canada or the US that sometimes break the laws/rules to make a quick buck?

They do exist... but should we suddenly brand every Canadian / US business with the same brush and claim all businesses are of the same standard??

BP (British Company) sure hasn't had a clean record... should all British Businesses be considered equally bad as BP?

Enron??

Toyota??

China may have a couple of corrupt businesses that pull shady deals or cuts corners for a profit at the expense of others, but again.... don't act like our sh*t don't stink.