No tears from Harper for CBC revenue problems

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — The CBC shouldn't come crying to him for more money, Prime Minister Stephen Harper says, even if a continuing NHL lockout reduces ad revenue from Saturday night hockey broadcasts.

"CBC has its funding voted annually by Parliament," Harper said Friday from Quebec City. "That is the amount we are giving it for the year."

The last federal budget trimmed taxpayer support for the state broadcaster by about $55 million and ended a special $60-million subsidy for Canadian content production.

That means the state broadcaster will have to make do with about $1 billion from taxpayers, plus almost $370 million in ad revenue.

more

Sun News : No tears from Harper for CBC revenue problems

h/t bcf

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Maybe HNIC can start broadcasting junior and AHL games to help increase revenue if it's such a problem

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All the signs were there did no one plan for what might happen? Here is a case where I
agree with the Prime Minister. And yes there is lots of hockey out there to broadcast,
the American League, the major junior hockey leagues as well. If CBC did its job on this
we could have games coming from different parts of Canada and we could learn more
about the country as a whole. It would provide entertainment, education and revenue.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
Like many conservatives, I'm no fan of the CBC's liberal bias, so I'm not going to shed any tears if its funding gets cut.