London council votes down motion for embattled mayor to step down

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
London council votes down motion for embattled mayor to step down

By Chip Martin and Patrick Maloney, QMI Agency

LONDON, ONT. - The storm of controversy with Mayor Joe Fontana at its eye was upgraded Tuesday as some on his sharply-divided council tried to ask him to take a leave of absence the same day he was blasted in Parliament.
A move by two city councillors to put the leave idea to a vote was deep-sixed when council voted 8-6 against even discussing the motion to ask Fontana to consider stepping down during an RCMP investigation into federal payments for his son’s 2005 wedding reception.
Earlier Tuesday, Fontana -- an ex-Liberal MP and cabinet minister -- was blasted by Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Bailey in the House of Commons for hiding behind the poppy in brushing aside political calls to step down.
In the middle of a closely-watched meeting that exposed the sharp divide on council between Fontana supporters and other politicians, Fontana posted an apology on his website for invoking the poppy in answering a question about whether he would step aside.
It was another illustration of the chaos at city hall that’s built up with Fontana not providing details about the spending controversy, accusations that key council jobs have been locked by the mayor’s allies and, Tuesday, a rebuke by Ontario’s ombudsman for obstructing his investigations into secret council meetings that left politicians in the clear but still drew criticism.
Tuesday night, eight politicians -- Bud Polhill, Joe Swan, Dale Henderson, Denise Brown, Stephen Orser, Paul Van Meerbergen, Harold Usher and Fontana himself -- voted against considering the motion by councillors Nancy Branscombe and Paul Hubert calling on Fontana to step down.

Branscombe and Hubert say city business and its reputation are being affected by the Mountie investigation into federal payments of more than $20,000 for Fontana’s son’s wedding reception.
Councillors Branscombe, Hubert, Matt Brown, Bill Armstrong, Judy Bryant and Sandy White voted in favour of considering it.
White, traditionally a supporter of Fontana, and Usher, often an opponent, switched sides with each other for the vote.
“I think it is shameful,” Branscombe told reporters after the vote. “This is a serious issue. The allegations are serious and he has chosen to remain silent. Clearly this is a cloud hanging over us and it’s going to get more and more intense. This isn’t going to go away.”
Hours earlier, Fontana came under attack in the House of Commons for comments he made a day earlier to a Free Press reporter.
Asked whether he would heed the growing calls to remove himself from office, Fontana pointed to the poppy on his lapel and cited veterans’ sacrifices as a reason he would remain in his post, linking the poppy with “due process.”
Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Bailey said the Conservative government condemned the comment by the former federal Liberal cabinet minister “in the strongest terms possible.
“Hiding behind our courageous veterans to avoid one’s own potential legal problems is reprehensible. It does not have a place in our country.”
Asked to comment on that broadside at council Tuesday, Fontana brushed by a reporter without making one,
But on his website, he posted the following: “Yesterday, in an interview situation I gestured to the poppy on my jacket and used it incorrectly as a symbol representing Canada.
“I should not have done this. The poppy is worn in reverence, respect and remembrance of those who have died in war and serving our country.
“I apologize for my action and to all who I may have offended.”
Fontana is encountering the most political turbulence he has encountered in 30 years of public life split between city hall and Parliament Hill.
Besides the motion asking him to temporarily step down, the embattled mayor also faces an online public petition urging him to stand down initiated earlier Tuesday that quickly drew several hundred signatures.

London council votes down motion for embattled mayor to step down - Canada - Canoe.ca

I don't understand how this cretin got elected in the first freaking place but this just makes me livid. Who in the hell forgets about spending 20K in taxpayer dollars on personal business? Makes you wonder how much more there is unrevealed. Actually, no, it doesn't make me wonder, instead it just instills deeper the sense of mistrust I have in our Members of Parliament.

It is long, long, long past the time when they should be opening up their spending books to the scrutiny of the taxpayer. They need to get on this yesterday.

We need to all stand up and say in one loud clear voice, "We don't trust you." And anyone that does trust and believe in these jokers? I'm sorry, but you are a fool.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You are a Ford supporter, Goober?
I'm a fairness supporter, spade, aren't you?

Where's the outrage?

Where's the personal attacks on character?

Where's the personal attacks on his physical presence?

Where's the unprecedented media coverage?

Where are the links after links after links?

Where are the Usual Suspects?

Oh ya, he isn't a right leaning mayor, lolz.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It's one of the signs we're supposed to have been waiting for. When all arround us, those we trusted, turn out to be expensive dirtbags. It will only get worse when Santas filthy habit is uncovered. A elf has come forward with tapes, it will make a statement Tuesday.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You are a Ford supporter, Goober?

Who cares? Why aren't people just as outraged that this guy is charged with using a government cheque to pay deposit at his son's wedding when he was an MP? That's federal tax dollars, it actually affects everybody.

Ford doesn't affect me, doesn't affect anyone outside the GTA, aside from a sense of bewildering fascination.

It's one of the signs we're supposed to have been waiting for. When all arround us, those we trusted, turn out to be expensive dirtbags. It will only get worse when Santas filthy habit is uncovered. A elf has come forward with tapes, it will make a statement Tuesday.

Hey! That white stuff was snow and that elf is known to have a drinking problem and bears a grudge against the big guy.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Who cares? Why aren't people just as outraged that this guy is charged with using a government cheque to pay deposit at his son's wedding when he was an MP? That's federal tax dollars, it actually affects everybody.

Ford doesn't affect me, doesn't affect anyone outside the GTA, aside from a sense of bewildering fascination.

Hey! That white stuff was snow and that elf is known to have a drinking problem and bears a grudge against the big guy.

And who do you think was supplying the elf with strong and the grudge is about the acting career that didn't materialize. Wait for the press conference before you blame anything on the little freak.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And who do you think was supplying the elf with strong and the grudge is about the acting career that didn't materialize. Wait for the press conference before you blame anything on the little freak.

Unless they're putting Ewoks in the next Star Wars film, he was never going to see any success with the acting anyway. Typical elf behaviour, blame others for what's wrong in your life. The big guy gave him a job and kept him on despite all the rum that went missing that one time.

He's just an ingrate.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is he not doing his job?

He spends a lot of time telling us how much we want him there I know that much. To be honest, I'm frankly fed up with listening and kind of tune it out at this point.

It's not just him, it's the whole council. He's just bitter icing on an unappetizing cake. Transit is a mess, city roads are a mess, property taxes are rising (and for what since transit and roadways are not improving?). And then you hear about the back room deals and there is the whole charitable organization mess that he's involved with. I think he's even still sitting on police commission board (talk about the irony) but I could be wrong about that.

And on top of that, he's actually been charged with something.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He spends a lot of time telling us how much we want him there I know that much. To be honest, I'm frankly fed up with listening and kind of tune it out at this point.

It's not just him, it's the whole council. He's just bitter icing on an unappetizing cake. Transit is a mess, city roads are a mess, property taxes are rising (and for what since transit and roadways are not improving?). And then you hear about the back room deals and there is the whole charitable organization mess that he's involved with. I think he's even still sitting on police commission board (talk about the irony) but I could be wrong about that.

All I can say is...

Where's the outrage?

Where's the personal attacks on character?

Where's the personal attacks on his physical presence?

Where's the unprecedented media coverage?

Where are the links after links after links?

Where are the Usual Suspects?

Oh ya, he isn't a right leaning mayor, lolz.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Sort of sounds like Miller Time.