Fastest way to kill the federal Liberals? Pick McGuinty as leader

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA – Perhaps the Liberal Party of Canada really is dead, done, gone. And perhaps it deserves to be.

In the wake of Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty’s stunning resignation — a move he effected while shutting down the legislature in the face of censure and scandal — his name is being bandied about by some of those seeking a new federal Liberal leader.

This man, some Grits believe, is just the ticket. He has the heft, the experience, the sheer winning-ness, to go toe-to-toe with Stephen Harper and Tom Mulcair. At the very least, McGuinty would make the Liberal leadership race a contest. He’d give Justin Timberlake, sorry Trudeau, a run for his money.

more

Nothing could kill the federal Liberals faster than picking Dalton McGuinty as leader | Full Comment | National Post

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Justin's "daddy" is dead.

Yet his damaging legacy lives on

He won't be answering anything to anyone here, and those still dwelling on things he "did" 40 years ago need to grow up and get a life.

I disagree... Learning from it will reap huge benefits in the future.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

George Santayana.

]\

There's a difference between remembering and dwelling on. Too many out here still dwell on the NEP, and it has been blown out of proportion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Justin's "daddy" is dead. He won't be answering anything to anyone here, and those still dwelling on things he "did" 40 years ago need to grow up and get a life.

Yep, everyone needs a chance to be "his own man" and perhaps Justin has learned more from Daddy being an A$$hole. :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

George Santayana.

The legacy looks damn good.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
v

because people in the west are just that shallow, unforgiving and pig headed, right?

ONce bitten twice shy.
Just in is a lightweight playing on the family name to a friendly audience.
I think Mark Carney, should he decide to run has a much better chance of getting voters in the west to at least look at the Liberal brand.

Yep, everyone needs a chance to be "his own man" and perhaps Justin has learned more from Daddy being an A$$hole. :lol:

Did you read the interview in MacLeans? He just hasn't got what it takes.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

George Santayana.

So you're going to blame someone who was 5 at the time these policies were enacted? Kind of immature.

Would you want to be held responsible for things your father may have done while you were a child? I know I wouldn't.

Did you read the interview in MacLeans? He just hasn't got what it takes.

This criticism makes a hell of a lot more sense as its on him and not his father.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So you're going to blame someone who was 5 at the time these policies were enacted? Kind of immature.

Would you want to be held responsible for things your father may have done while you were a child? I know I wouldn't.

The Trudeau name is toxic West of Ontario, that's the only message. To be fair to Justin, he is his own man, but his name will hurt him in the West

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Justin's "daddy" is dead. He won't be answering anything to anyone here, and those still dwelling on things he "did" 40 years ago need to grow up and get a life.

My dad still gets red faced angry if you mention the name Trudeau. First name doesn't matter. Emotional responses are not always logical. And it wasn't until the late 90s or y2k that Liberals started being elected west of Winnipeg again.

While this reaction will not be universal it is something that will cloud Trudeau more than any other Liberal leader.