Up to 2,000 Chinese miners on their way to BC

tay
Up to 2,000 Chinese miners on their way to British Columbia to fill jobs Canadians can't do safely

An initial group of 200 Chinese citizens will begin to arrive in British Columbia in coming weeks to work at new mines in the western Canadian province.

The full time workers whose number could grow to as many as 2,000 eventually follow $1.4 billion in Chinese funding for two of four coal projects in the northeast of the province announced in November
The Vancouver Sun reports (external - login to view) up to 800 Canadians would also be employed by the four coal mines, but according to one of the mine developers Canadian Dehua International Mines, Canadians "just don't have the experience" to operate underground equipment safely and that "without the Chinese and the technology they're bringing these particular mines would not have been developed":

Stephen Hunt, western director for the United Steelworkers union, ridiculed Tuesday the suggestion Canadians couldn't be trained to work underground.

"Bull****," he said of [Canadian Dehua CEO John] Cavanagh's assertions .

more

www.vancouversun.com/news/Chi...#ixzz28unU2hhU (external - login to view)

petros
+1
Quote:

Canadians "just don't have the experience" to operate underground equipment safely and that "without the Chinese and the technology they're bringing … these particular mines would not have been developed":

Ain't that the truth!

Johnnny
It did say in the article they were going to be training Canadians to operate and do the job of these chinese workers....

B00Mer
Republican
Crap, thought for a minute we wrer building another railroad.. then I noticed "miners"...

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

**** thought for a minute we wrer building another railroad.. then I noticed "miners"...

They are. This time they are funding it and using whitie for labour.

Johnnny
+1
Quote:

The C.I.C. report said the federal government is working closely with the B.C. government to ensure workers have enough English language skills to help in the "transition" of knowledge from Chinese to Canadian workers.

I dont see a huge problem with all them chinese workers coming here, especially if they are going to be transferring the knowledge...

petros
Free tech is worth twice that.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Free tech is worth twice that.

Inquire and see what the Chinese have done with the Nortel tech.

In a nutshell; made it better, faster, and sold it back to us.

We can borrow their money to buy it.

Wonderful world

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

I dont see a huge problem with all them chinese workers coming here, especially if they are going to be transferring the knowledge...

What knowledge do you expect to get from a Chinese company?

Corduroy
How many of these workers are going to try to claim permanent resident status? I'll get the paper work started.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

It did say in the article they were going to be training Canadians to operate and do the job of these chinese workers....

So it sounds temporary tehn until the Canadians are trained. fair enough. But honestly, I'm for open borders and hiring the best man for the job anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

How many of these workers are going to try to claim permanent resident status? I'll get the paper work started.

Model immigrants! Already employed and paying taxes!

petros
+2
The keyword in the whole spiel was SAFELY.

Machjo

The keyword in the whole spiel was SAFELY.

And safety can't be taught?

petros
Yup. When one infraction means bye bye from a job site, people learn really freakin' quick.

TenPenny
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

And safety can't be taught?

Not by a Chinese company, if their mining industry is any indication.

BaalsTears
This won't turn out well for Canadian workers, but it will be great for Canadian business.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

This won't turn out well for Canadian workers, but it will be great for Canadian business.

More work for rail and coal ports.

BaalsTears

More work for rail and coal ports.

Maybe so, maybe no. It all depends on the cost of Canadian labor.

Machjo

This won't turn out well for Canadian workers...

How so?

They're paying taxes that could go towards retraining unemployed workers. While I might be open to raising taxes and spending more on retraining the unemployed, I don't see how foreign workers paying taxes in Canada is a bad thing. Isn't that an extra source of revenue for the government to then retrain the unemployed?

Add to that that if we allow them to work here, they allow us to work there too. So a larger labour market for the unemployed. How is that bad?

petros

Maybe so, maybe no. It all depends on the cost of Canadian labor.

Wal*Mart does just fine using union logistics and port companies.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Crap, thought for a minute we wrer building another railroad.. then I noticed "miners"...

First thing I thought when I saw the title was "oh, they're finally coming back to do some maintenance on the railroad."

petros

How so?

They're paying taxes that could go towards retraining unemployed workers. While I might be open to raising taxes and spending more on retraining the unemployed, I don't see how foreign workers paying taxes in Canada is a bad thing. Isn't that an extra source of revenue for the government to then retrain the unemployed?

Add to that that if we allow them to work here, they allow us to work there too. So a larger labour market for the unemployed. How is that bad?

Chinese labour has been and is currently here. This isn't new. There is a skilled labour shortage and these types of projects with permit labour will be the norm. It's no different than a Canadian mining company going to Mexico with Canadian skilled labour using Mexican unskilled labour and setting up shop until the unskilled are skilled. Good luck working your way into mgt though.

BaalsTears

How so?

The precedent is being established of bringing in foreign labor. This is just the beginning. The precedent will be used in the future by Canadian corporations. There is a slippery slope on which Canadian labor is now embarked.

What matters is what is cost effective from the standpoint of big business. But this works to the detriment of Canadian labor. Chinese workers are less expensive than Canadian workers. Business seeks comparative advantage...and the consequences be damned.

Wal*Mart does just fine using union logistics and port companies.

What is most important? Opinions differ. Is Walmart the paradigm for the treatment of Canadian labor?

Chinese labour has been and is currently here. This isn't new. There is a skilled labour shortage and these types of projects with permit labour will be the norm. It's no different than a Canadian mining company going to Mexico with Canadian skilled labour using Mexican unskilled labour and setting up shop until the unskilled are skilled. Good luck working your way into mgt though.

It's one thing to import Chinese to fill high tech jobs that can't be filled by Canadian labor. But bringing in Chinese miners under the guise of them having special skills seems like a farce to me. Canadians could be trained to do this work without bringing in the Han on a wholesale basis. This establishes a new precedent in my opinion. You may be right, but I don't think so.

petros
Canada has modernized long wall miners or just old guys, old tech and fruitty choirs?

Corduroy

Model immigrants! Already employed and paying taxes!

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it is a good point. These are exactly the kind of people the government wants and could easily stay if they played their cards right.

Machjo

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it is a good point. These are exactly the kind of people the government wants and could easily stay if they played their cards right.

I wasn't being sarcastic, but I could see the humour within the context of this thread.

TenPenny
Table 5:
Summary of International Mining Fatal Incidents from Coal Mines
UndergroundOpen Cut UnknownTotal
Australia
919 86 0 1005
China
2565 0 0 2565
France
1060 0 0 1060
Germany
299 0 0 299
India
1053 0 0 1053
Japan
1465 0 0 1465
New Zealand
63 5 13 81
Russia
147 0 0 147
South Africa
437 0 0 437
Ukraine
244 0 0 244
United Kingdom
1598 6 4 1608
United States of America
1315 152 93 1560
Yugoslavia
195 0 0 195
Zimbabwe
427 0 0 427

11787 249 110 12146

petros

If you bring your pregnant wife and she gives birth to a shiny new Canadian, there is a chance of staying otherwise there is no loophole to stay.

tay
+1
BC Gov't Investigates Recruitment Charges for Chinese Miners

The British Columbian government is investigating after a Tyee report (external - login to view) found that an employment agency based in the province was charging miners in China $12,500 each for the opportunity to work in Canadian mines.

The investigation comes after the Tyee posed as a Chinese miner looking for work in Canada and was told a $4,700 fee upfront followed by an additional $7,700 in fees to be paid off over a 20-month period to a recruitment agency were required to get a job.

"No one can charge a fee to a person to help that person find a job or provide information about prospective jobs," said the ministry. "Foreign workers cannot be required to pay for immigration assistance as a condition of being placed in a job."

They also said a foreign worker cannot be required to pay back any costs the employer paid to an employment agency or anyone else to recruit the worker.

more

The Tyee – BC Gov't Investigates Recruitment Charges for Chinese Miners (external - login to view)

B00Mer
Republican
WTF!! We can't take a bus to downtown Vancouver Hasting street and pickup 2000 welfare bums to do this work.. and if they refuse, cut their welfare off..

Why do we import immigrants, when we should go to the Social Services Dept. for several provinces and ask for able bodied workers.

If they refuse to take the job.. then refuse to give them any more assistance..

Also, we need to do the same as in the USA, drug test these bums.. if you have drugs in your system, you're kicked from the system.

I'm so tired of our tax payers money going to lazy, drug addicted bums.. we need to clean up the system and put these losers to work.