Up to 2,000 Chinese miners on their way to BC

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Up to 2,000 Chinese miners on their way to British Columbia to fill jobs Canadians can't do safely

An initial group of 200 Chinese citizens will begin to arrive in British Columbia in coming weeks to work at new mines in the western Canadian province.

The full time workers – whose number could grow to as many as 2,000 eventually – follow $1.4 billion in Chinese funding for two of four coal projects in the northeast of the province announced in November
The Vancouver Sun reports up to 800 Canadians would also be employed by the four coal mines, but according to one of the mine developers Canadian Dehua International Mines, Canadians "just don't have the experience" to operate underground equipment safely and that "without the Chinese and the technology they're bringing … these particular mines would not have been developed":

Stephen Hunt, western director for the United Steelworkers union, ridiculed Tuesday the suggestion Canadians couldn't be trained to work underground.

"Bull****," he said of [Canadian Dehua CEO John] Cavanagh's assertions .

more

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Chinese+workers+fill+mining+jobs/7366971/story.html#ixzz28unU2hhU

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadians "just don't have the experience" to operate underground equipment safely and that "without the Chinese and the technology they're bringing … these particular mines would not have been developed":
Ain't that the truth!

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
The C.I.C. report said the federal government is working closely with the B.C. government to ensure workers have enough English language skills to help in the "transition" of knowledge from Chinese to Canadian workers.

I dont see a huge problem with all them chinese workers coming here, especially if they are going to be transferring the knowledge...​

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It did say in the article they were going to be training Canadians to operate and do the job of these chinese workers....

So it sounds temporary tehn until the Canadians are trained. fair enough. But honestly, I'm for open borders and hiring the best man for the job anyway.

How many of these workers are going to try to claim permanent resident status? I'll get the paper work started.

Model immigrants! Already employed and paying taxes!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
This won't turn out well for Canadian workers...

How so?

They're paying taxes that could go towards retraining unemployed workers. While I might be open to raising taxes and spending more on retraining the unemployed, I don't see how foreign workers paying taxes in Canada is a bad thing. Isn't that an extra source of revenue for the government to then retrain the unemployed?

Add to that that if we allow them to work here, they allow us to work there too. So a larger labour market for the unemployed. How is that bad?