Cost of Oakville gas plant cancellation pegged at $700M

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ontario electricity users are on the hook for more than $700 million in extra fees because of the McGuinty government’s decision to move a gas-fired generator out of Oakville, says an energy consultant.

Provincial officials say that number is much too big.

However, one provincial source, who did not want to be named, concedes that the cost of moving the plant from Oakville to the site of the Lennox generating station near Bath, 210 kilometres east of Toronto, is $220 million more than the $40-million cost acknowledged by the province to date.

Energy consultant Bruce Sharp, who pegs the cost of the move at $700 million, says earlier estimates haven’t taken into account several huge items.

Sharp says the issues require further scrutiny.

“People are saying: “Let’s get the auditor general to look at this,’ and I agree,” he said.

The office of Energy Minister Chris Bentley was sticking with the $40-million cost Wednesday, and insisting that “the new plant will be an important part of Ontario’s energy mix.”

more

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...nt-cancellation-costs-ballooning-says-****yst

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Document dump by McGuinty's energy ministry leads to calls for minister's resignation

TORONTO -- The surprise release of 20,000 more documents related to the cancellation of two gas plants -- after the McGuinty government insisted it had already revealed all -- led to calls Friday for Energy Minister Chris Bentley's resignation.

Tory MPP Christine Elliott said her party would pursue a second contempt motion against Bentley, Premier Dalton McGuinty and House Leader John Milloy who told the Ontario legislature they had complied with a Speaker's ruling ordering the disclosure of all relevant records.

"Clearly, the Liberals are hiding something," Elliott said. "Try as they may to blame this on their officials as a bureaucratic mix up, what we are really witnessing here is a political coverup."

Bentley rejected Elliott's suggestion that he step down as minister, but said he deeply regrets the delay in getting out the full documentation.

Bureaucrats at the Ministry of Energy and the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) realized after the initial release of 36,000 documents that there could be more, and undertook a review which uncovered 20,000 more pages, he said.

more

Sun News : Document dump by McGuinty's energy ministry leads to calls for minister's resignation

Chris Bentley: Ontario Liberals blow $40-million, call it ‘good deal’ | Full Comment | National Post

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My, my, my, where are the usual calls of contempt, mismanagement and incompetence, from the Usual Suspects?