Could the right and the left agree on this at least?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Imagine some kind of agreement where the NDP would campaing on raising taxes and not on spending increases, spending increases being conditional on affordability; and the Conservative Party campaigning on reducing spending, with reducing taxes being conditional on affordability.

In most elections it's the opposite: The NDP focuses onspending increases and the Conservatives on tax cuts and then we wonder why we're always in debt. This principle could apply to local and provincial too of course.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Imagine some kind of agreement where the NDP would campaing on raising taxes and not on spending increases, spending increases being conditional on affordability; and the Conservative Party campaigning on reducing spending, with reducing taxes being conditional on affordability.

In most elections it's the opposite: The NDP focuses onspending increases and the Conservatives on tax cuts and then we wonder why we're always in debt. This principle could apply to local and provincial too of course.

Actually if you study the fiscal policies of the longest running NDP governments in Canada, those of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, you will note that operating from a balanced budget is pretty much the norm. It was the conservative governments or the 80s and 90s in these provinces that accumulated the largest amount of provincial debt. In fact if you study the first ever NDP government (then the CCF) the first act of the new Douglas government was to balance the budget and pay down the provincial debt before embarking on any social programs.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Actually if you study the fiscal policies of the longest running NDP governments in Canada, those of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, you will note that operating from a balanced budget is pretty much the norm. It was the conservative governments or the 80s and 90s in these provinces that accumulated the largest amount of provincial debt. In fact if you study the first ever NDP government (then the CCF) the first act of the new Douglas government was to balance the budget and pay down the provincial debt before embarking on any social programs.

Tommy Douglas' theory that he couldn't do what he wanted while being in debt to the people he was going to piss off.

Having grown up in Saskatchewan, I found the Saskatchean NDP at that time to be pretty fiscally conservative. Ironically the conservatives of the 80s were not.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Thats because they sent all the loons to BC to destroy our economy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Then why can't we go back to Tommy Douglas on the left side, and maybe the right coudl do something similar.

I could see some kind of public agreement between parties that while they can express a desire to lower taxes or increase funding, theat they will never promise this. They would only promise either raising taxes or reducing funding.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What we really need is a constitutional amendment stating clearly that unless we are in a declared war or there is a national disaster no government can run a deficit budget. We should also include a list of what are to be FULLY FUNDED essential services (education, healthcare, etc). They will figure it out if they know their job is gone if they don't.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Not a word about banking so I know none of you are serious solution oriented progressive regressionists. We don't control the national money supply so you're only endlessly tweaking a rigged system in direct service to international capital and finance. If we don't start banker arrests there won't be anything left to tweak anyway.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not a word about banking so I know none of you are serious solution oriented progressive regressionists. We don't control the national money supply so you're only endlessly tweaking a rigged system in direct service to international capital and finance. If we don't start banker arrests there won't be anything left to tweak anyway.

I agree that our fiat, debt based currency is a huge issue. I would support complete reform in this area. As I have posted before the model used by Guernsey would be a place to look for a good start. Very nationalistic policies and a stable currency with no debt attached controlled by the citizens.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I agree that our fiat, debt based currency is a huge issue. I would support complete reform in this area. As I have posted before the model used by Guernsey would be a place to look for a good start. Very nationalistic policies and a stable currency with no debt attached controlled by the citizens.

Perfect. Debt based currency is the only issue to be addressed in step one. If that crushing obliterating legislation is not enacted then everything else leads right back here to the end of civilization as we know it. The ancient cycle is exposed, lets not have it hidden again.