Concerns over Parliament Hill camera plan

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — An RCMP and House of Commons security proposal to more than double the number of video cameras on Parliament Hill, without warning the public it’s being watched, alarms the privacy commissioner, who says it’s an ironic symbol of how pervasive government surveillance is becoming.

The plan, part of a massive security overhaul, combined with the Harper government’s hotly debated Internet surveillance legislation contributes to a growing sense of unease among Canadians, Jennifer Stoddart said Thursday.

The privacy commissioner’s office saw a spike in complaints and an increase in data breaches at federal departments and institutions last year, according to Stoddart’s annual report.

She said she’s skeptical about the massive use of video surveillance, but her report underscores not only privacy but democratic concerns.

more

Privacy commissioner raises concerns about security camera plan | The Chronicle Herald

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OTTAWA — An RCMP and House of Commons security proposal to more than double the number of video cameras on Parliament Hill, without warning the public it’s being watched, alarms the privacy commissioner, who says it’s an ironic symbol of how pervasive government surveillance is becoming.

1, Anyone else see the lack of logic in that statement?
2, In public you have no right to privacy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
1, Anyone else see the lack of logic in that statement?

Yes.
2, In public you have no right to privacy.

Yes.

If we're going to put more cameras on the Hill, we should go all out!

I think we should be watching them. In the House, webcams on every desk, and electrodes on every seat so home viewers could 'wake them up' when they nod off. Cuz they do that. Often.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I can't see how anyone thinks there is an expectation of privacy on Parliament Hill, there are security guards everywhere. Furthermore, adding MORE cameras means there already are cameras.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I can't see how anyone thinks there is an expectation of privacy on Parliament Hill, there are security guards everywhere. Furthermore, adding MORE cameras means there already are cameras.

Yeah....I very much dislike surveillance cameras in public places.

But Parliament Hill does require a somewhat enhanced level of observation, one would think...........

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Whenever I've been on parliament hill I've assumed I was being watched by someone whether it be a camera or an actual guard. I imagine most do. Its the seat of government and should be as secure as possible. I don't see a problem with adding more security cameras.

I was talking to my room mate the other night about how little security there appears to be on parliament hill. Though the key word is "appears." I imagine its much more secure than it appears. It looks like it'd be fairly easy for an armed person or group to get right up to the peace tower before attacking. I'm hoping thats just an appearance though and not reality.

When it comes to security I find we are far more easy going than Americans or other nations in general. Whenever there is a foreign head of state/government in town I notice a bit more security around than usual but dont when I see Harper or a cabinet minister around town.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

The plan, part of a massive security overhaul, combined with the Harper government’s hotly debated Internet surveillance legislation contributes to a growing sense of unease among Canadians, Jennifer Stoddart said Thursday.

The privacy commissioner’s office saw a spike in complaints and an increase in data breaches at federal departments and institutions last year, according to Stoddart’s annual report.

She said she’s skeptical about the massive use of video surveillance, but her report underscores not only privacy but democratic concerns.

more

Privacy commissioner raises concerns about security camera plan | The Chronicle Herald
Ah, I don't give a crap about whether people watch me in public or not.