Harper Praises Netanyahu’s UN Red Line Speech

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From Zip:

It Is Now “Reverberating” Around The World…

I’m not afraid to admit it, I’m a Stephen Harper fanboy.

Via JPost:
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu that his speech at the UN is now “reverberating” around the world, Netanyahu said Friday. Following their meeting, US President Barack Obamaexpressed solidarity on the goal of preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, but stopped short of endorsing Netanyahu’s red line approach.

Harper said that Canada wanted to see a peaceful resolution to the Iranian crisis, “and we work closely with our allies to try and alert the world to the danger this presents and the necessity of dealing with it.”

Netanyahu said his speech was an attempt to translate the principle of stopping Iran into practice.

“In practice, that means setting red lines on their enrichment process. It’s their only discernible and vulnerable part of their nuclear program,” Netanyahu said before a breakfast meeting in New York with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
Netanyahu reiterated what he said in his speech, that he believes Iran will “back off” if red lines are set.

During their meeting, Netanyahu praised Harper again for Canada’s decision recently to sever ties with Iran. “I think that what you did, severing ties with Iran, was not only an act of statesmanship, but an act of moral clarity,” he said.

Canadian PM Stephen Harper Praises Netanyahu’s UN Red Line Speech: It Is Now “Reverberating” Around The World… | Weasel Zippers

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Was Netanyahu serious with that speech or was it a satirical revisit of Colin Powell's famous Iraq WMD presentation at the UN?

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Meby I'm a tad slow,meby I need a lesson on politics,religon and geography.Isn't Isreal surrounded by Muslim countrys ? Wholdn't it be meby a bit dim to start pushin some guy that has a lot of,if not friends,they like each other better than you,AND some of your "friends" have already said that while they "support' you,they wondn't take a punch for you ?
Just askin'.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Was Netanyahu serious with that speech or was it a satirical revisit of Colin Powell's famous Iraq WMD presentation at the UN?

Again I will take you to school. And yes you still need strings on your gloves.

Stephen Harper not setting ‘red line’ for iran military strike | Canada | News | National Post

NEW YORK — Canada will not set a “red line” that could trigger military action against Iran to stop its development of nuclear weapons.

A senior Canadian government official said Friday, “Canada will not be publicly setting red lines. That is for others to do. We will continue to work with our allies to find a peaceful resolution on Iran.”

The statement was made after Prime Minister Stephen Harper met Friday morning with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Bomb the crap out of their oil fields first! Then their roads, then their military bases and what is left of their navy!

Oh BTW, the Saudis will be cheering the US on! Just as will the rest of the region. Iran has already admitted it has troops in Iraq.

Iran should do the smart thing and shut down their nuclear weapons program.

"Tehran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes."

Anybody who believes this has a severe disconnection from reality. On what planet would it make sense that a country with huge reserves of crude oil, and the second largest reserves of natural gas, would require nuclear power to produce electricity? It's insulting that they think anyone would be dense enough to believe this.

Sure you can have nuclear power for electricity, but you don't have to keep refining the rods to nuclear grade uranium. The centrifuge's keep refining the uranium, to well past what is needed for electrical needs and medical isotopes. That is the point. They continue to enrich uranium to weapons grade.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Anyone who believes Iran has a nuclear weapon program without supporting evidence is falling for the same lie used to justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians since 2003.

The NPT limit is 20% HEU. Iran achieved this level of purity (for an Iranian medical isotope reactor) about a year ago. All Iranian nuclear facilities are under constant IAEA surveillance.

The evidence supports Iran's claims that they do not possess any HEU greater than 20% purity. Since nukes require 85% HEU or better, Iran is not capable of manufacturing nukes. Iran would need to have a clandestine nuclear weapon program to make nukes. For that they'd need a hidden uranium mine, hidden processing plants to convert uranium ore to yellow cake to UF6 (uranium hexafluoride), hidden enrichment facilities and hidden research labs to design prototype gadgets. Once they had a workable design, they'd likely need to test it first before they could rely on it.

The evidence supports the case that Iran intends to fight round one of any war with conventional weapons. Who can say what Iran might do for round two... given time. If anyone bombs Iran, they will have to invade and occupy Iran to prevent them from acquiring nukes. Just bombing Iran's nuclear facilities would likely result in Iran tossing out IAEA inspectors and Iran adopting a policy similar to Israel's deliberate ambiguity regarding nuclear weapons.

Bombing Iran is a seriously bad idea...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

And to do so without proven just cause would be criminal.

Now what I could see would be requiring all Iranians entering Canada to read an appropriate UN document concerning Iranian abuse of its minority religious communities and sigining that they have read and understood it before giving them a stamp in their passport that they have done this which they would need to enter the country.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Iranians would probably make Canadians sign a similar document when visiting Iran...

BTW, would you also require the Saudis to do the same thing? Saudi Arabia's human right's record is as bad or worse than Iran. Jews could not legally enter Saudi Arabia until they changed the law in 2004. (Jews have always been welcome in Iran, they just have a problem with Zionists) Slavery was legal in Saudi Arabia until 1962. Iran abolished slavery in 1929. Most 9/11 hijackers were Saudis. None came from Iran.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Anyone who believes Iran has a nuclear weapon program without supporting evidence is falling for the same lie used to justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians since 2003.

The NPT limit is 20% HEU. Iran achieved this level of purity (for an Iranian medical isotope reactor) about a year ago. All Iranian nuclear facilities are under constant IAEA surveillance.

The evidence supports Iran's claims that they do not possess any HEU greater than 20% purity. Since nukes require 85% HEU or better, Iran is not capable of manufacturing nukes. Iran would need to have a clandestine nuclear weapon program to make nukes. For that they'd need a hidden uranium mine, hidden processing plants to convert uranium ore to yellow cake to UF6 (uranium hexafluoride), hidden enrichment facilities and hidden research labs to design prototype gadgets. Once they had a workable design, they'd likely need to test it first before they could rely on it.

The evidence supports the case that Iran intends to fight round one of any war with conventional weapons. Who can say what Iran might do for round two... given time. If anyone bombs Iran, they will have to invade and occupy Iran to prevent them from acquiring nukes. Just bombing Iran's nuclear facilities would likely result in Iran tossing out IAEA inspectors and Iran adopting a policy similar to Israel's deliberate ambiguity regarding nuclear weapons.

Not the same Buckey- The evidence is there and has been shown to you.

Now I am off to my Jewish Cabal - Bring my ham sandwich and beer. Oddly, they never want any of my sandwich. But love my home brewed beer. Guess I make good beer. Only thing I can think of.
Do you have a clue?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Iranians would probably make Canadians sign a similar document when visiting Iran...

Wouldn't that be a good thing? It would make Canadians more aware of our injustices and Iranians awre of theirs. Nothing wrong with education, eh?

BTW, would you also require the Saudis to do the same thing? Saudi Arabia's human right's record is as bad or worse than Iran. Jews could not legally enter Saudi Arabia until they changed the law in 2004. (Jews have always been welcome in Iran, they just have a problem with Zionists) Slavery was legal in Saudi Arabia until 1962. Iran abolished slavery in 1929. Most 9/11 hijackers were Saudis. None came from Iran.

Why not. What's good for the Gander as they say...

And while we're at it, maybe require Israelis entering Canada to read their own laws re: religious conversion, immigration, etc.

I best just as some Canadians have never heard of the Indian residential schools, it may be that many Iranians aren't aware of their own religious discrimination laws and many Israelis might not be aware that converts in their country must report their conversion to the authorities.