Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Tories spent more than $750,000 in court battle against veterans’ pension claim

Ottawa Citizen

OTTAWA – The Harper government spent $750,462 in legal fees fighting veterans over the clawback of military pensions, documents tabled in Parliament show.
Federal Liberals have been demanding to see a breakdown of Ottawa’s legal costs in the class-action lawsuit launched by veterans advocate Dennis Manuge, of Halifax.
The response was tabled in Parliament last week, but Justice Minister Rob Nicholson refused to release an itemized count, invoking solicitor-client privilege.
Instead, he released a global amount for the lawsuit, which has been dragging its way through the courts since March 2007.
Liberal veterans critic Sean Casey described the legal bill as an “obscene waste of taxpayers’ money.”

This is a better account of what the New Ratbag Administration same as the Old Ratbag Administration is doing.

National Post Article

Turncoat a$$holes.

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
Its simple. Unrealistic pensions. The 750K is well spent if we can avoid another pension fiasco like the the teachers and Auto-Workers. Time for people to take care of thier own financial stability and stop waiting for the government to cradle them. Harper is Just in this cause

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Its simple. Unrealistic pensions. The 750K is well spent if we can avoid another pension fiasco like the the teachers and Auto-Workers. Time for people to take care of thier own financial stability and stop waiting for the government to cradle them. Harper is Just in this cause

Though some pensions may be unrealistic these people served our country faithfully on the promise of that pension. I can see changing thine moving forward but for those already retired or close to it....well they should get what they signed up for otherwise the govt is really in breach of contract.

Maybe they shod leave the ones who put in a career alone and chop the gold-plated pensions for MPs who serve 8 years.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Military pensions are not unrealistic, they're a hell of a lot lower than anyone elses and Soldiers pay in to them. Veterans often pay for medical pensions with body parts. The Federal Government are acting the same way the Liberals did. Time for them to pony up what they owe and quit trying to claw back money that isn't theirs to claw back.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Military pensions are not unrealistic, they're a hell of a lot lower than anyone elses and Soldiers pay in to them. Veterans often pay for medical pensions with body parts. The Federal Government are acting the same way the Liberals did. Time for them to pony up what they owe and quit trying to claw back money that isn't theirs to claw back.

My sister retired after 25 years last year. She still hasn't seen any money yet because she did 25 yrs on class B. They are trying to tell her she gets a reduced amount even though she put in the time and paid in the same amount. It's friken stupid!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Is the push for clawback political or bureaucratic induced? Seems like a change of government has not changed anything on the low end of the totem pole.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I cannot fathom the historic resistance to working with this group. What have they done to deserve such a shi!tty go?

Are the cons (in this case), of all politicos, that unapproachable and arrogant that they will absolutely do whatever they want whatever the fallout or are we, are we really so fukkin stupid that we just don't understand the problem?

Wtfingf?

Fletch

Nominee Member
Jul 13, 2012
GEtting a pension put you on the low end of the Totem pole?!?! I might as well just get back to diggin ditches...

Is the push for clawback political or bureaucratic induced? Seems like a change of government has not changed anything on the low end of the totem pole.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

We're still waiting for the Politicians to 'reform' their pensions.

The military (which I have never been a member of) deserve the full pensions they were promised when they signed up. They risk their lives and limbs to protect us and that is priceless to me.............

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Harper government as their Conservative party is cracking and falling apart knows that this is their last term in office so they are in a panic mode.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The Harper government as their Conservative party is cracking and falling apart knows that this is their last term in office so they are in a panic mode.
good they should be, and the libs too should be in panic mode, frigging thieves

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
We elected a different government and got a worse government who likes Jean's approach right My Captain?

I actually kind of liked Jean; he did what needed to be done (in a macro sense), although he was at the center of a few big scandals

Plus; I have never been more proud of the Canadian Federal gvt as when Jean gave that heckler the Shawinigan-handshake at the outdoor event.... If the Libs had held an election that day, they would have had an even bigger majority

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
That was a easy prediction to make.
I called it when they finally got their majority in 2011.

The minority government was the only thing keeping them
From auto destroying themselves.
With a majority their true colours show.

I posted
This is the beginning of the end for Conservative party.
When they won in 2011.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
There's hype and then there's reality, the reality is that Harper seems to be even more apathetic to the needs of Canadians, including vets, than the people he was so determined to condemn and replace.

He wrapped himself in the Canadian flag and talked about the war when it suited him, and now it's time to meet his end of the obligation, the people who put their lives on the line for us in combat are being marginalized. Harper doesn't need them now.

PTSD and TBI are a bitch, the current group of disabled vets are going to need extensive support, the moral and financially responsible thing to do is make sure they get it. It's probably going to cost more over the coming years fighting court battles and providing critical care to vets who would have been far better off with adequate preventative care.