A week later, Iran move looks prescient

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
They look, suddenly, like geniuses: Harper and Baird, summarily yanking Canadian diplomats out of Tehran last week and sending Iran’s diplomats packing, without so much as a by-your-leave.

This week, with U.S. embassies being sacked by the day, diplomats worldwide on high alert and Israel in open conflict with the Obama administration over what to do about Iran, Canada’s move suddenly seems prescient and cautious, rather than reckless and bellicose.

The pity, frankly, is that we can’t simply pull all Canadians out of the region and wait till it’s over.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- L ... it does indeed! But Harper is now second only to Agenla Merkel of Germany as the longest serving leader in the G7 and is exceptionally well respected by the other G7 leaders, even BO, for his steady, focused and successful economic, fiscal and diplomatic leadership.

- And not only by his G7 colleagues. Here is a related announcement that you naturally won't have read here among all the posts from the rabid lefties with too much anti-Harper bile and idle time on their hands:

Stephen Harper wins ‘world statesman’ award for being a champion of democracy, freedom and human rights

Mark Kennedy, Postmedia News | Sep 11, 2012 12:06 PM ET | Last Updated: Sep 11, 2012 2:39 PM ET

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper is being hailed as “World Statesman of the Year” by an American organization that previously feted Jean Chretie, British prime minister Gordon Brown and and Korean president Lee Myung-bak.

The award, for his work as “a champion of democracy, freedom and human rights”, comes from an organization called the Appeal of Conscience Foundation,

The organization paying tribute to Harper was founded in 1965 by Rabbi Arthur Schneier. Its website says the Foundation has worked on behalf of religious freedom and human rights throughout the world.

Its board includes former U.S. president Bill Clinton and former U.S. secretaries of state Madeleine Albright, James Baker, retired general Colin Powell and George Schultz.

“This interfaith coalition of business and religious leaders promotes peace, tolerance and ethnic conflict resolution,” says the website. “The Foundation believes that freedom, democracy and human rights are the fundamental values that give nations of the world their best hope for peace, security and shared prosperity.”

The event at New York’s famous Waldorf Astoria hotel takes place the same week that the United Nations’ 67th general assembly convenes for high-level debate, but Harper will not be making a speech at the world body.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird will instead represent Canada at the UN general assembly.

Among the foundation’s previous “world statesman of the year” recipients were Chretien in 2002, Australian prime minister John Howard in 2005, France’s Nicolas Sarkozy in 2008 and Lee Myung-bak in 2011.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Czech Vaclav Havel, former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher have also been recognized over the years by the foundation — although not all have showed up in New York to receive their awards.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"The pity, frankly, is that we can’t simply pull all Canadians out of the region and wait till it’s over."

Someone is convinced that the threatened war is a sure thing. Of course we can understand the monolithic zionist crimes syndicates deep fears about the hoped for inability of them pulling the world into mutual carnage on a global scale. Far far from looking prescient, in fact it's further proof of Canadas deep involvment in ME destabalizing conspiracy aimed ultimatly at cementing the dementeds plan of one world one bank. Canada is fully involved in crimes of international war.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012

- Locutus ... My bad, I neglected to read the News forum or I would have seen the item to my great surprise. Apparently it was posted to anger and confuse the lefties who dominate the board here because, unlike the rest of us, they have the most free time to waste here being underemployed government troughers or unemployed losers. But I only read and post here sporadically because I have an active life and also because I find the left wing leanings here rather nauseous albeit sometimes also hilarious like the guy on this thread/topic who calls himself a Republican and then expresses the kind of left wing extremism that only shock treatments might possibly cure.