We have a right to see Khadr tapes

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Last week Vic Toews, the public safety minister, finally received videotapes of Omar Khadr, the confessed murderer and terrorist, being interviewed while in prison.

At the request of Khadr’s lawyers, the U.S. military commission in 2010 had those videotapes sealed.

Toews wants to review them before deciding whether to accept Khadr’s application to be transferred from Guantanamo Bay to prison in Canada.

Khadr wants to come to Canada because, under our ultra-liberal parole laws, he could be back on the streets in a matter of weeks.
Should we take him? Forget about justice and Khadr’s murder victim, U.S. Army medic Christopher Speer. How about public safety for us Canadians?

Well, public safety minister is Toews’ job title. And here’s what our International Transfer of Offenders Act has to say about prisoner transfers to Canada.

Section 10(1)(a) reads: “In determining whether to consent to the transfer of a Canadian offender, the Minister may consider ... whether the offender’s return to Canada will constitute a threat to the security of Canada.”

Of course Khadr is a threat to Canadian security. He is an al-Qaida terrorist, we are at war with al-Qaida and Khadr has not renounced al-Qaida.

more

Sun News : We have a right to see Khadr tapes

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Toews should review all the evidence including testimony obtained through torture and the threat of torture. I find this treatment of a 15 year old Canadian disturbing:

Over the years, and in an affidavit submitted in February 2008 (PDF), Khadr has described his mistreatment in detail, explaining how he was unconscious for a week after his capture, when he was severely wounded, and how, in Bagram, where he was taken after just two weeks in a hospital, his interrogations began immediately, at the hands of an interrogator who manipulated his injuries (the exact details were redacted from his affidavit). Crucially, he also explained how, as soon as he regained consciousness, "the first soldier told me that I had killed an American with a grenade," and how, during his first interrogation at Bagram, "I figured out right away that I would simply tell them whatever I thought they wanted to hear in order to keep them from causing me [redacted]."

There is much more in the affidavit - casual cruelty, whereby guards made Khadr do hard manual labor when his wounds were not healed, and, significantly, threats "to have me raped, or sent to other countries like Egypt, Syria, Jordan or Israel to be raped." He also noted, "I would always hear people screaming, both day and night," and explained that other prisoners were scared of his interrogator. "Most people would not talk about what had been done to them," he declared. "This made me afraid."

Khadr also described what happened to him in Guantánamo, where, as I explained last week, he "arrived around the time that a regime of humiliation, isolation and abuse, including extreme temperature manipulation, forced nudity and sexual humiliation, had just been introduced, by reverse-engineering torture techniques, used in a military program designed to train US personnel to resist interrogation if captured, in an attempt to increase the meager flow of ‘actionable intelligence' from the prison."

At various points in 2003, while the use of these techniques was still widespread, Khadr stated that he was short-shackled in painful positions and left for up to ten hours in a freezing cold cell, threatened with rape and with being transferred to another country where he could be raped, and, on one particular occasion, when he had been left short-shackled in a painful position until he urinated on himself:

Military police poured pine oil on the floor and on me, and then, with me lying on my stomach and my hands and feet cuffed together behind me, the military police dragged me back and forth through the mixture of urine and pine oil on the floor. Later, I was put back in my cell, without being allowed a shower or a change of clothes. I was not given a change of clothes for two days. They did this to me again a few weeks later.

Crucially, when describing the interrogations that punctuated these experiences at Guantánamo, Khadr explained, "I did not want to expose myself to any more harm, so I always just told interrogators what I thought they wanted to hear. Having been asked the same questions so many times, I knew what answers made interrogators happy and would always tailor my answers based on what I thought would keep me from being harmed."

https://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/05/13-8
I recommend the entire article.

Evidence obtained through torture is inherently unreliable.

IMO, Omar Khadr has been abused by every authority, including his father, the US military and the Canadian government.. I have no doubts Khadr is one screwed up person and probably a danger to society. But when he was first captured, he probably could have been rehabilitated. I do not support releasing Khadr. He should remain locked up until he is deemed "no longer a threat" to public safety. IMO, his family has grounds to sue the Canadian government for negligence and the American government for torturing and abusing a child.

The charges against Khadr are a farce given the context of a war. Khadr should have been classified as a child soldier and a POW. Instead the US abused and tortured Khadr in violation of international laws and treaties governing the treatment of POWs and child soldiers.

15 year old Khadr was captured after the US military forces bombed a compound where al Qaeda operatives were hiding. Ground forces went in to mop up and encountered stiff resistance. In the ensuing fire fight, Khadr was severely wounded and an American medic Sgt. Christopher Speer was killed by a grenade. Khadr may or may not have thrown the grenade. I believe Khadr confessed to every allegation including Speer's death. But evidence obtained under duress is unreliable.

I feel sorry for the Sgt. Speer's family... But he was a casualty of war. A risk faced by everyone who joins the military.

Canada should have condemned the US for its violations of international laws and treaties regarding the treatment of POWs and child soldiers including 15 year old Canadian citizen Omar Khadr (born in Toronto). The Canadian government has an duty to ensure foreign governments treat all Canadians as per international laws and treaties. Instead our government abandoned 15 year old Khadr and was complicit in his abusive treatment.

If Canada does not respect and uphold international laws and treaties, then we also aren't protected by them. You can't have it both ways...

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I oppose Canada embracing Pakistan's screwed up criminal justice system or adopting illegal US policies regarding the treatment of POWs and child soldiers. I agree with Liberal Senator and former Canadian General, Roméo Daillare regarding Omar Khadr:

Dallaire blasts Ottawa, U.S. over handling of Khadr case

May 14, 2008

OTTAWA–Liberal Senator Roméo Dallaire says the U.S. and Canada have descended to the level of the terrorists they pursue by flouting international law and allowing Omar Khadr to be prosecuted for war crimes at Guantanamo Bay.

"They are operating on a law of their own," Dallaire told the House of Commons foreign affairs human rights committee yesterday. "The (trial in Guantanamo) is flawed, it is illegal, and we're letting it happen."

His comments sparked a terse exchange with Conservative MP Jason Kenney, who asked how Dallaire could compare Canada's support for Guantanamo to terrorists who kidnap and kill civilians.

"Is it your testimony that Al Qaeda strapping up a 14-year-old girl with Down's syndrome and sending her into a pet market to be remotely detonated is the moral equivalent to Canada's not making extraordinary political efforts for a transfer of Omar Khadr to this country?" he asked. "Is that your position?"

"You're either with the law or you're not with the law," Dallaire shot back.

"You are not allowed to go against (international) conventions and if you do, you're going down the same road as those who absolutely don't believe (in the law)."

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...blasts-ottawa-u-s-over-handling-of-khadr-case

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yadayadayada

Canadians don't even want him in Canada

Canada doesn't want Khadr back: Poll | Canada | News | Barrie Examiner

He's your's whenever you want him now. Or does he serve his purpose better at GITMO?

Dallaire blasts Ottawa, U.S. over handling of Khadr case
May 14, 2008

OTTAWA–Liberal Senator Roméo Dallaire says the U.S. and Canada have descended to the level of the terrorists they pursue by flouting international law and allowing Omar Khadr to be prosecuted for war crimes at Guantanamo Bay.

LMAO... 2008. EAO Spamming the forum with an article from four years ago. The trial is over Einstein.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yadayadayada

Canadians don't even want him in Canada

Canada doesn't want Khadr back: Poll | Canada | News | Barrie Examiner

He's your's whenever you want him now. Or does he serve his purpose better at GITMO?

LMAO... 2008. EAO Spamming the forum with an article from four years ago. The trial is over Einstein.

IMO, Khadr's case raises several issues:

1)Torture:
I'd oppose torturing Khadr even if he was an adult, never mind a child.

2) Child Soldiers:
I quoted Dallaire because he is an recognized authority when it comes to child soldiers.
Our duty toward child soldiers - thestar.com

3) The Canadian government's duty to represent the interests of Canadians imprisoned by foreign governments.
The Canadian government did not act to ensure Khadr was treated in accordance with international law regarding torture and child soldiers.

BTW, your snide remarks and insults directed at me are off topic. I should be able to post my opinion on a thread without one of the usual suspects turning it into a flame war. I hope your post gets plenty of thumbs down and this thread stays on topic.

Unless, God forbid, he was to succumb to an unfortunate...accident, I mean illness...or a nasty slip and fall injury before he got here.

I oppose torturing and murdering Canadian citizens... even ones most Canadians don't like. Like Daillaire said, "You're either with the law or you're not with the law,"

If we go down the same road as our adversaries who don't believe in the law, then we are no better than them. I oppose turning Canada into a lawless terrorist state. How the Canadian government treats Khadr is a moral test, that I predict the Harper government will ultimately fail in a way that shames Canada.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
IMO, Khadr's case raises several issues:

1)Torture:
I'd oppose torturing Khadr even if he was an adult, never mind a child.

2) Child Soldiers:
I quoted Dallaire because he is an recognized authority when it comes to child soldiers.
Our duty toward child soldiers - thestar.com

3) The Canadian government's duty to represent the interests of Canadians imprisoned by foreign governments.
The Canadian government did not act to ensure Khadr was treated in accordance with international law regarding torture and child soldiers.

The trial is over bright one. Have you been keeping up? Clearly you haven't been.

BTW, your snide remarks and insults directed at me are off topic. I should be able to post my opinion on a thread without one of the usual suspects turning it into a flame war. I hope your post gets plenty of thumbs down and this thread stays on topic.
Quit your crying.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Be careful what we wish, There will be precedent set maybe that would keep some others of us on similar nightmare circus rides. Al-Kadha is paid by uncle sham to murder Syrians just like in Lybia where their show destroyed a very nice country.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Last week Vic Toews, the public safety minister, finally received videotapes of Omar Khadr, the confessed murderer and terrorist, being interviewed while in prison.

At the request of Khadr’s lawyers, the U.S. military commission in 2010 had those videotapes sealed.

Toews wants to review them before deciding whether to accept Khadr’s application to be transferred from Guantanamo Bay to prison in Canada.

Khadr wants to come to Canada because, under our ultra-liberal parole laws, he could be back on the streets in a matter of weeks.
Should we take him? Forget about justice and Khadr’s murder victim, U.S. Army medic Christopher Speer. How about public safety for us Canadians?

Well, public safety minister is Toews’ job title. And here’s what our International Transfer of Offenders Act has to say about prisoner transfers to Canada.

Section 10(1)(a) reads: “In determining whether to consent to the transfer of a Canadian offender, the Minister may consider ... whether the offender’s return to Canada will constitute a threat to the security of Canada.”

Of course Khadr is a threat to Canadian security. He is an al-Qaida terrorist, we are at war with al-Qaida and Khadr has not renounced al-Qaida.

more

Sun News : We have a right to see Khadr tapes
Killing someone during a war/invasion is not murder. Otherwise, every US and Canadian solider who killed someone in Afghanistan is a murderer. However, depending on the situation, it could be considered a war crime.

If he had committed a cold-blooded murder to steal $50, he would be out on the street by now.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
As a young offender, he could have been out after 3 years.

But the issue here is whether Khadr represents a threat to society. Until someone qualified determines Khadr is not a threat to society he should remain locked up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Khadr should be left where he is, f!ck him...

Your hypocritical cry baby bullsh!t aside, stop plagiarizing me.

You are one of the Usual Suspects. ES, myself Goob's, and so on, aren't.

I realize you have all the ethics of an Hamas pawn broker, but for crying out loud, you could at least not steal lines from fellow members.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"Toews wants to review them before deciding whether to accept Khadr’s application to be transferred from Guantanamo Bay to prison in Canada."

I don't want him in a prison in Canada, and I certainly don't want him stepping foot outside of a Canadian prison either. I would prefer him to stay right where he is.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"Toews wants to review them before deciding whether to accept Khadr’s application to be transferred from Guantanamo Bay to prison in Canada."

I don't want him in a prison in Canada, and I certainly don't want him stepping foot outside of a Canadian prison either. I would prefer him to stay right where he is.

At GITMO? President Obama is going to close that down... he promised.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Too bad. Khadr is just as much a Canadian citizen as you or I. Khadr is entitled to the same rights and freedoms as other Canadians. I oppose letting the government of the day determining which Canadians are protected by Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and which aren't. If we go down that path, then the Charter looses its meaning.

In April 2009, the Federal Court of Canada ruled once again that Khadr's rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms had been violated. It concluded that Canada had a "duty to protect" Khadr and ordered the Canadian government to request that the U.S. return him to Canada as soon as possible.[182] In August 2009, the Federal Court of Appeal upheld the decision in a 2–1 ruling.[183] Finally, in January 2010, in a unanimous 9–0 decision, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the participation of Canadian officials in Khadr's interrogations at Guantanamo clearly violated his rights under the Charter. In its sharply worded decision, the Supreme Court referred to the denial of Khadr's legal rights as well as to the use of sleep deprivation techniques to soften him up for interrogation:

The deprivation of [Khadr's] right to liberty and security of the person is not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice. The interrogation of a youth detained without access to counsel, to elicit statements about serious criminal charges while knowing that the youth had been subjected to sleep deprivation and while knowing that the fruits of the interrogations would be shared with the prosecutors, offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects.

However, the Supreme Court stopped short of ordering the government to seek Khadr's return to Canada. Instead, it left it to the government to determine how it would exercise its duty to conduct foreign affairs while also upholding its obligation to respect Khadr's constitutional rights.

Federal Court - Khadr v. Canada (Prime Minister)
Federal Court of Appeal - Canada (Prime Minister) v. Khadr

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Too bad. Khadr is just as much a Canadian citizen as you or I. Khadr is entitled to the same rights and freedoms as other Canadians. I oppose letting the government of the day determining which Canadians are protected by Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and which aren't. If we go down that path, then the Charter looses its meaning.

You're posts are a joke.

The Charter applies to Canadians, on Canadian soil, full stop.

The logic in your post, as in many of your nonsensical posts, attempts to apply or negate internal policy as you see fit, lol, just more of your double standards.

However, the Supreme Court stopped short of ordering the government to seek Khadr's return to Canada. Instead, it left it to the government to determine how it would exercise its duty to conduct foreign affairs while also upholding its obligation to respect Khadr's constitutional rights.
You know why?

Because Canada can not enforce the Charter beyond her borders.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I thought persecuting children only happened under Pakistan's anti-blasphemy laws.

For the point you are making- I agree-

The questions I always ask is why were his Grand parents- Mother and such - why were they not charged for at the minimum child abuse.

Why were the Grandparent (s) and the wife not deported for this. Include the sister as I am not sure if she was born here. But if I recall correctly she married into a very rich Canadian Christian family.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Khadr should be left where he is, f!ck him...

Your hypocritical cry baby bullsh!t aside, stop plagiarizing me.

You are one of the Usual Suspects. ES, myself Goob's, and so on, aren't.

I realize you have all the ethics of an Hamas pawn broker, but for crying out loud, you could at least not steal lines from fellow members.

"The Usual Suspects" is a movie written by Christopher McQuarrie. When it comes to the usual suspects who initiate flame wars around here that would be you and G... and lately ES.