Yeah, let's rebuild the Avro Arrow

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Good one Lou. :lol:

via Fark:

Canadian National Defense guy: "Hey, I know...let's cancel the contract for American F-35s, dust off those plans of the Avro Arrow from the 1950s and build those instead. That'll be MUCH cheaper"

OTTAWA—A consortium of Canadian manufacturers sought to go back in time to help move Canada’s air force into the future.
Documents obtained by Global News indicate the storied CF-105 Avro Arrow was put forward as an alternative to the purchase of F-35 stealth fighter jets.

And among the project’s champions is one of Canada’s top soldiers, retired Maj.Gen. Lewis MacKenzie.

The Arrow was an advanced, all-weather supersonic interceptor jet developed in the 1950s but the project was scrapped before a single plane could be built.

But MacKenzie told the Global TV show “The West Block” that the Arrow’s basic design and platform still exceed any current fighter jet and it’s perfect for Canada’s needs.

more cool story bro stuff:

New Avro Arrow design pitched to feds as alternative for F-35s: report - thestar.com

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Wow. That is a cool story bro.
It can fly higher and faster because it was designed to intercept bombers coming over the pole from Russia. If we are going to have a new plane it should be able to do more stuff cuz there just ain't no bombers coming.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Werent the plans destroyed after the program was cancelled?

I'd say cancelling this program was Diefenbaker's biggest mistake. It would have been nice to have our own home designed and built fighters. The idea of buying foreign ones seems so strange to me. I realize many nations do it but it still seems odd. Not only did we lose the Arro but we lost them men that designed it to the US after it was cancelled. Unfortunate.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
While we're at it let's get out the saddle shoes, hula hoops and make the blacks ride in the back of the bus.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This jet was more advanced than any other in its time in fact it could do things then
that still can't be done by others. I doubt if Harper will relent though, this plane was
dashed because of a miserable little man Dief the Chief. He scrapped it because it
was a pet project of CD Howe the object of all his bitterness.
There were prototypes of the jet built and it did extremely well. Normally in this case
I would agree with Walter about bringing back the past. However consider this. We
have an advanced plane that was decades ahead of its time. If we added some of
latest updates we would still have a plane far ahead of its time.
Who knows, we might save it in fuel costs alone. In the last day or so there was a
TV show on this, the idea of fuel is interesting. Flying the F 35 this aircraft would fly
from Vancouver to Winnipeg and need fuel. Secondly the Arrow would fly Vancouver
to at least Toronto. Just like a car, fuel economy today is important ( tongue in cheek)
and there in itself it could bring the price down. I would bet if we took the chance the
money for the F35 would benefit us even if it presented problems. Remember we are
still not sure of the price but its in the 30 billion range. If we own the plans and built it
Canadian we wouldn't need to pay out some big US manufacturers. It could come in
at less that 15 billion saving us all kinds of money What a comeback story.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Just equip the Snowbirds. That will have em shaking in their boots.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Well; official word today is: NO ARROW. Conservatives that formed an "independent" (Howzat?) commission to review the purchase of the F-35 have virtually already decided abandoning the thing would be too costly. So it's onward and upward (hopefully) with this boondoggle of an aircraft.

A case of we're already in for a pound without having even gotten a pennies worth.

This could easily be Harper's undoing and a really big black eye for the consevatives down the road.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The Arrow was an advanced, all-weather supersonic interceptor jet developed in the 1950s but the project was scrapped before a single plane could be built.....

Really?

Looking on the link, there's a photo of a bunch of people surrounding a built Arrow. I'm going by memory, but I thought there was like 2-3 Arrows built before Diefenbaker got in a fit and shut the whole project down and ordered their dismantling as well as many of the plans/documents for the jet to be scrapped.... and the only thing that remains was a nose cone / cockpit section which is still around.

So with very little to go by regarding building these jets again.... Good luck.

Don't get me wrong... I think it'd be cool to roll back and re-build the Arrow, with a bit of modernization.... but the reality is that it most likely won't happen any time soon, nor do I believe it'd be possible to reproduce them with the majority of the information on the jets no longer existing.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Really?

Looking on the link, there's a photo of a bunch of people surrounding a built Arrow. I'm going by memory, but I thought there was like 2-3 Arrows built before Diefenbaker got in a fit and shut the whole project down and ordered their dismantling as well as many of the plans/documents for the jet to be scrapped.... and the only thing that remains was a nose cone / cockpit section which is still around.

So with very little to go by regarding building these jets again.... Good luck.

Don't get me wrong... I think it'd be cool to roll back and re-build the Arrow, with a bit of modernization.... but the reality is that it most likely won't happen any time soon, nor do I believe it'd be possible to reproduce them with the majority of the information on the jets no longer existing.

Forget the Arrow. We can build an all new fighter for less than the F-35. A new fighter would have no trouble being
faster than the F-35. The F-18 is faster than the F-35. Hell, order the Super Hornet. At least we would be on budget
with a faster aircraft.