Only 2% of Canadians don't believe in climate change

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Only two per cent of Canadians who responded to a new opinion poll believed climate change is not occurring.

A further nine per cent believed climate change is occurring naturally and 54 per cent felt both humans and nature are playing a role.

The findings, which are generating mixed reaction, are in a survey by Insightrix Research for IPAC-CO2 Research Inc., a University-of-Regina-based centre that studies carbon capture and storage.

Centre chief executive Carmen Dybwad said the results released Wednesday show Canadians overwhelmingly believe climate change is real.

The online poll of 1,550 respondents was done between May 29 and June 11.

There were five options given to the question: "Where do you stand on the issue of climate change?"

Respondents were asked to choose whether climate change is occurring partially due to human activity and partially due to natural climate variation; climate change is occurring due to human activity; climate change is occurring due to natural climate variation; climate change is not occurring at all; or not sure.

Nine per cent believed climate change is occurring due to natural climate variations. Almost 1/3 — 32 per cent — of respondents said they believed climate change is happening because of human activity. More than half of those who responded — 54 per cent — said they believed it's a combination of both.

Two per cent said they didn't believe climate change is occurring at all. Four per cent were not sure.

"It's reassuring that the number is so low," said Prof. John Smol, a global warming expert at Queen's University.

"Certainly the science has been in for a long time, so it's a little discouraging how slowly the science seems to have been translated into public policy and public opinion. But at least we're going in the right direction."

The survey also noted that opinions about the cause of climate change were divided by region.

It said Prairie respondents were least likely to think that climate change is occurring due to human activity. The survey found 21 per cent of those in Alberta and Saskatchewan believed climate change is occurring due to human activity, while the number jumped to 44 per cent in Quebec.

Dybwad suggested those beliefs might be dictated by a province's economic base.

"When you take a look at the provinces who are most fossil fuel-based, in terms of either they produce it or they use it to generate electricity, you find that the number is lower. When you go to regions that are more hydro-based, you find a different opinion," she said.

"It's interesting to discover or to suppose that's what drives it, but that seems to be the trend."

Smol, who has been studying climate change for more than 30 years, said the science is clear that human activity is a very significant factor.

"I work in the Arctic. It's changing far faster than even I had thought it would. I was saying that it's going to change fast, but it's changing faster," Smol said.

"There's enough data out there that shows it's a tremendous issue and it's one that nature is slow to pardon our mistake."

The Calgary-based organization Friends of Science said the climate has been changing continually since the dawn of time.

"For two per cent to say climate change is not occurring, I mean that's a stupid thing. I mean those people, they're not looking out the window are they? I mean how can you say that climate change is not occurring. It's occurring all the time," said Friends co-founder Eric Loughead.

But Loughead vehemently disputed the cause of climate change. To blame human activity is false, he said.

"We would say that there is probably a very small impact by human emissions of CO2," he said.

"The amount of CO2 that is liberated by human activity is nothing really compared to natural variations in CO2 level. The ocean is continually either drawing in or expelling CO2. Volcanoes when they go off, they put huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere and these are all natural phenomenon."

The survey set quotas by age, gender, region and education to try to match the general population.

The polling industry's professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.

The survey also found 51 per cent of respondents across the country believed fossil fuels will still be used after the year 2050 for electricity production in Canada.That belief was highest in Alberta at 66 per cent and lowest in Quebec at 37 per cent.

The acceptance of climate change and the extent to which humans are responsible for it has been a politically sensitive issue, most recently in the Alberta election.

Wildrose Party Leader Danielle Smith's team started strongly in the campaign, but faltered near the end when she said the science of global warming was not settled. Smith found herself booed roundly at a late-stage leaders debate over the issue.

2% of Canadians don't believe in climate change: survey - CityNews

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
More rigged polls ... Just like their 'proof'.. They really are shameless..

You can work from the premise that you can't fool ALL of the people all of the time... some of the people all of time sure, maybe all of the people some of the time.. but NEVER all of the people all of the time..

not that polls have anything to do with Truth and Lies anyway.. important people on both sides of this issue.. the fabricators of the fraud.. and those who discern the deceit.. Both KNOW AGW is about LIES.

Last edited:

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
To continue to attempt to twist people's perceptions by poll to support an agenda which can never succeed is reprehensible.
We know that the climate changes but we also know that we cannot ameliorate that change enough to stave off the inevitable as it would require all people and nations on earth working day and night to be even slightly successful at this point in time.
There would be a helluva lot more people onboard if we put the money eaten up by BS into adapting to change.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Polls or surveys,it is never accurate,how many really think GW/climate change is bullcrap?
While there is always this scare about GW CC,no one looks at the real problem which is "pollution"

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Interesting. The percentage of imbeciles in the Canadian population is just under two percent.
I wonder if there is a connection?......

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The main point is 32% ( likely the same group that thinks sasquatch is real or the Leafs will win another Cup ) of us are still imbeciles and swallowed the green mantra from day one about man-is-bad. Man is heating us up. Killing the hippies.

That of course before the slippery lefties gave up calling it man-made, AGW and settled for the current and more benign and mushy 'climate change' thing.

Kinda like what a 6th grader might call his solid science project eh. :lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
More rigged polls ... Just like their 'proof'.. They really are shameless..

You can work from the premise that you can't fool ALL of the people all of the time... some of the people all of time sure, maybe all of the people some of the time.. but NEVER all of the people all of the time..

not that polls have anything to do with Truth and Lies anyway.. important people on both sides of this issue.. the fabricators of the fraud.. and those who discern the deceit.. Both KNOW AGW is about LIES.
Where's your 'proof' supporting your claims?

2% of Canadians don't believe in climate change: survey - CityNews
Using polls as an argument for one side or the other is a logical fallacy called "ad populum".

What I see are people using data and the like to determine why and how the globe is warming and, on the other hand, people ignoring the data and the like and positioning their beliefs squarely upon their wishful thinking. The latter being comedy at its best.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The main point is 32% ( likely the same group that thinks sasquatch is real or the Leafs will win another Cup ) of us are still imbeciles and swallowed the green mantra from day one about man-is-bad. Man is heating us up. Killing the hippies.

That of course before the slippery lefties gave up calling it man-made, AGW and settled for the current and more benign and mushy 'climate change' thing.

Kinda like what a 6th grader might call his solid science project eh. :lol:

I think the Leafs are working on signing the Sasquatch as the last piece of the puzzle to win the cup.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I think the Leafs are working on signing the Sasquatch as the last piece of the puzzle to win the cup.

I am confident this sentence has never been uttered before in the history of communication. Regardless of what that wanker Lennon said.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
good, if only 2% don't believe in climate change, then the government can stop funding bogus climate change research.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Question: Do the 98% all do their own research....or do they just believe ??????

90% of them are Beliebers.

8% of them have limited objectivity.

But only 1% actually use critical thought.

When Tonington goes on vacation out of the country, the latter drops.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually there is only one real expanation for this and that is that Canadians appear to be better informed than Americans (notice I did not say more intelligent), however, I expect after a few more summers like the one the Americans have just experienced their numbers will be up to the same level as Canada.