Catholic school board rejects ‘road map' deal

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Catholic school board rejects ‘road map' deal

Hamilton's separate school board says it won't back the government's deal with the Ontario Catholic teachers' union — and money isn't the sticking point.

Instead, conditions around hiring practices and diagnostic tests are standing in the way of an agreement between the board and its teachers — an agreement Premier Dalton McGuinty has said must be struck by the end of the month or else he'll recall the legislature to get it done.

The premier wouldn't say how the threatened legislation would accomplish this.

It could impose a contract on teachers, take over control of school boards or attempt to mandate a wage freeze.

“We obviously understand and want to do our part in terms of the difficult financial situation in the province,” said Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board chair Pat Daly. “It's not the financial parameters that are a concern for us. It's the nonfinancial.”

Neither Daly nor public school board chair Tim Simmons has expressed concern over the impending deadline, with Daly noting that negotiations often, if not always, run into the school year.

“It's nothing to be alarmed at,” he said.

Simmons, meanwhile, said the province's demands don't carry a realistic timeline. His board plans to resume talks with teachers' unions in September.

“These things move at their own pace,” he said.

Daly's and Simmons's comments have been echoed across the province. Last week, the group representing Ontario's public school boards balked at the challenge of having to negotiate nearly 400 collective agreements inside of four weeks.

And Halton's public school board chair, Don Vrooman. has called the Aug. 31 deadline unrealistic, saying “moving aggressively and unilaterally to force deals on our unions may very likely lead to job actions such as strikes that would ... not be in the best interests of our students and communities.”

The Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association, or OECTA, was the first education union to strike a deal with the province, which is calling for a two-year wage freeze affecting more than one million public sector workers to trim a $15-billion deficit.

Two other unions have since signed on: the French teachers' union, which inked a deal with the province Thursday, and one representing social workers, speech pathologists and psychologists.

According to Education Minister Laurel Broten, the latest deal is nearly identical to the two-year OECTA agreement, which she has called “a road map” for other unions across Ontario.

The province's two largest teachers' unions — the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario and the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation — have rejected the deal and insist instead on bargaining with boards at a local level.

The OECTA agreement includes a general wage freeze, although it does allow newer teachers to move up through the salary grid. That increase is funded by all teachers taking three unpaid days off in the second year of the contract.

It also cuts the number of annual sick days to 10 from 20 and puts an end to retirement payouts for unused sick days.

What Daly finds unpalatable, however, is conditions around filling permanent teaching positions and diagnostic tests.

The deal requires boards to hire from a pool of occasional teachers with seniority and relevant qualifications — a change aimed at making hiring practices more consistent and transparent across Ontario's 72 school boards.

Teachers, meanwhile, will have more discretion over how and when they administer diagnostic assessments, such as in-class reading tests.

If boards and unions can't strike deals by the end of the month, existing contracts roll over at a collective cost of $473 million, according to the Ministry of Education.

In Hamilton, a salary grid rollover alone will cost the separate school board $1.2 million and the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board more than $2 million — sums that aren't factored into either board's budget for the upcoming school year.

“If boards do not find a way to work with us to not have a pay increase roll through on Sept. 1, they will need to find those dollars somewhere else,” Broten said. “We will not allow them to raise class sizes, we will not allow them not to roll out full-day kindergarten.”

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...oard-won-t-back-province-s-deal-with-teachers

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Just shows what happens when the government has the right to interfere with Religion. In the States, the government could NEVER dictate anything even remotely like this.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
It baffles me to understand how the public can allow the government of Ontario to make war on teachers like this. It is worse than Harris ever dared in his thirst for revenge on the profession that rejected him.

This scapegoating of one profession is the MO of Fascism and should be stopped. Would McGuinty support the imposition of some monetary extraction from the legal profession - his own profession?

He takes the easy route of attacking a body of public servants that can be easily demonised to appeal to the ignorant and the envious. If austerity were the proper course for the times - and I do not think it is, then it should be shared across the population. Everybody should contribute. There should be a modest increase in income taxes instead of trying to claw the total from one group.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just shows what happens when the government has the right to interfere with Religion. In the States, the government could NEVER dictate anything even remotely like this.

It's in the Canadian cosntitution that Catholics are allowed their own separate school system in some provinces, and that's why we have public Catholic school boards in Ontario.

I think we ought to scrap such a special privilege for for one religious group that does not apply to others, but in Ontario I think most defend it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It baffles me to understand how the public can allow the government of Ontario to make war on teachers like this. It is worse than Harris ever dared in his thirst for revenge on the profession that rejected him.

This scapegoating of one profession is the MO of Fascism and should be stopped. Would McGuinty support the imposition of some monetary extraction from the legal profession - his own profession?

He takes the easy route of attacking a body of public servants that can be easily demonised to appeal to the ignorant and the envious. If austerity were the proper course for the times - and I do not think it is, then it should be shared across the population. Everybody should contribute. There should be a modest increase in income taxes instead of trying to claw the total from one group.

He gave them significant pay raises that the prov could not afford- now with the deficit around 17 or 18 billion and you wonder why.
Another objective post- The prov is going the way of Greece - same with Quebec, NB, NS -

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If the of you have nothing specific or have no real idea of what you are talking about why bring it up?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If it isn't 'slanted' to support Catholic doctrine, then what purpose does it serve?

All I am saying is that for seperate school the province should pay a base funding and let the church pay the difference.

Public school is the only one to get full funding.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
It's in the Canadian cosntitution that Catholics are allowed their own separate school system in some provinces, and that's why we have public Catholic school boards in Ontario.

I think we ought to scrap such a special privilege for for one religious group that does not apply to others, but in Ontario I think most defend it.
I don't think that applies to Ontario. Only Quebec if my recollection is correct.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If the of you have nothing specific or have no real idea of what you are talking about why bring it up?

He is not stating it well, but I think Catholic schools have religious education classes + normal public ciriculum. I think that these classes should be funded by the church and not the province. This may be the case but I am not sure. I believe that is likely his point too.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
He gave them significant pay raises that the prov could not afford- now with the deficit around 17 or 18 billion and you wonder why.
Another objective post- The prov is going the way of Greece - same with Quebec, NB, NS -

Actually that is propaganda. The raises did not come close to making up for what Harris deprived them of. .

The ignorance about teachers that prevails in the public is incomprehensible. Ontario teachers were once among the best paid in the world and, as a consequence, among the best education systems in the world. That no longer is so.

In Harris times. one third of teacher graduates never entered the profession: a profession that is rated as the third most stressful. Another third left within five years for the less stressful and more remunerative world of business.

Sick days for teachers came about because due to their exposure to children and the negligence of parents, they contract far more sicknesses than is normal in the general population.

Most teachers make up for the inadequate funding of supplies in all but the schools in wealthy areas by buying materials for the kids from their own pockets.

So, it was an objective post. And an informed one.