Queen Charlotte Islands and not Haida Gwaii

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
If you say Queen Charlotte Islands, it means you're a flunky of the Aboriginal Industry. An apologist for a suicide rate 10x the national average which aboriginals have. You like to impose misery on people. Saying Haida Gwaii distorts our democratic political process in favour of tribal dictatorships. It is not deserved.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you say Queen Charlotte Islands, it means you're a flunky of the Aboriginal Industry. An apologist for a suicide rate 10x the national average which aboriginals have. You like to impose misery on people. Saying Haida Gwaii distorts our democratic political process in favour of tribal dictatorships. It is not deserved.

From Charities to First nations- Can`t resist that hate that pulls you.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
As they say in BC "No Worries.."

The Monster Earthquake they keep talking about will solve the problem and the "Queen Charlotte Islands" and it's inhabitants will be a distant memory..

Monster earthquake threat looms over B.C. coastal communities

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The point is, the BC govt has no mandate to change the names of important geographical locations to appease groups.

The name QCI has been around for over 100 years, it causes confusion for visitors.
They changed all the names of roads around here for 911. It causes confusion for the locals.

They changed the name of my old home town to get rid of a lot of different municipalities. It cost businesses thousands to change letterheads

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The point is, the BC govt has no mandate to change the names of important geographical locations to appease groups.

The name QCI has been around for over 100 years, it causes confusion for visitors.

I beg to differ, The Haida Gwaii name attracts even more visitors. Besides, arguing about that is about as wise as a Tattoo artist practicing on balloons.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Normally I'm not in favour of changing things for the sake of change, but this is already a done deal for whatever reason (you can't unfry an egg) so for fear of unnecessarily pissing off a whole bunch of people, I'd just leave it alone and find something else to do - maybe pick up cans and bottles in your neighbourhood and contribute the proceeds for under privileged First Nations kids. :smile:

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Unlike most of the motor mouth wankers here I've been to QCI 8 times/have numerous friends and acquaintances that live & work there-as always the truth is a subtle and multi leveled entity.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
If you check Annual Date 2010, they use the term North American Indian, not Indian or Aboriginal. The BC govt very subtly lets them be optional Canadians. Born and raised here, buy maybe Canadians. And the BC govt says they have a new relationship with these "North American Indians" no kidding.

Labour Force Statistics for Aboriginals - BC Stats

Here again we see "North American Indian". And they use non-aboriginal for Canadians. Wrong again.

Census Statistical Profiles of Aboriginal Peoples - BC Stats

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would have thought someone using the name "dumpthemonarchy" would be all for getting rid of names referencing the monarchy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Yup. The residential school system worked like a charm to "civilize the savages" eh. Separating children from their parents and communities for over 100 years could not possibly have contributed in any way to the high suicide rates today when we consider that most indigenous Canadians today were raised by parents who'd gone through the system and who themselves were raised by such parents, not to mention that many survivors are still alive today.

But nope, that could not possibly have had anything to do with it.

If you knew English culture, you'd know that a rose by any other name woudl smell just as sweet.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I would have thought someone using the name "dumpthemonarchy" would be all for getting rid of names referencing the monarchy.

Having worked there several times and knowing a reasonable amount of west coast history I'm betting that most people don't ever know there the name came from. For sure dumpy doesn't.
Queen CHarlotte was the name of the ship that gave the Haida small pox.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Having worked there several times and knowing a reasonable amount of west coast history I'm betting that most people don't ever know there the name came from. For sure dumpy doesn't.
Queen CHarlotte was the name of the ship that gave the Haida small pox.

Indeed, when I saw this thread I started wondering where the name came from. I had no idea.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

My home has been in B.C. for 74 years. The Queen Charlotte Islands, as far as I'm concerned, have always been the Queen Charlotte Islands. What we call them has no bearing on aboriginal suicide rates. I don't mind what the natives call them. Why should they care what we call them?
Until very recently, I never heard of the Haida Gwaii.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Give it time. When you're dead no one will care what you thought, as surely as no one will care that Oakmount Park on Oakmount Road in Toronto's west end will always be referred to and remembered by me as Oakmount Park, and not Park Lithuania, which the social engineers of Toronto's city counsel gave it back in the late '70s. Hell, I knew more Estonians in that neighbourhood at the time than Lithuanians. Just as I will never call the Sky Dome by the name of that corporation that got it for a song. I never felt they had the right to change the name of it. But secretly I refer to it as the Child's Dome as that's the size one must be to be comfortable in the seating there. ;?)

Anyway, by now we're all pretty much used to referring to places the way those who live there say them, such as Beijing or Mumbai, aren't we? So have a silent whimper about it and quitcher bitchin. lol